• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Pokemon Crystal Team

What team would you guys recommend for fighting RED with and what move sets?

I have a 62 Typhlosion with
Flamethrower, Dynamic Punch, Swift, and Strength

55 Snorlax
Icy Wind, Rest, Surf, and Rollout

47 Dragonair
Extremespeed, Twister, Slam, Dragon Rage

44 Red Gyarados
Hydro Pump, Surf, Twister, and Thrash

42 Suicune
Bubblebeam, and Aurora Beam (LOL Not sure what I was thinking 0.o)

Aside from those, my highest is a 35 Igglybuff lol

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
First thing you should know is that Red's team is all in the mid-high seventies with the exception of Pikachu, who is Lv. 81, so your team is probably going to need to be levelled up more if you're to stand any chance of winning. Here's some attempts at movesets for you:

Typhlosion @ Charcoal (for lack of anything better, really)

- Flamethrower
- ThunderPunch
- DynamicPunch
- Filler Move

Basically just to give you extra coverage, since you can get TM's for the elemental punches in G/S/C if I remember right. The fourth move can be pretty much anything you like.

Snorlax @ Mint Berry

- Return
- Shadow Ball
- Earthquake
- Rest

Stick to physical attacks for Snorlax - his Attack outstrips his Sp.Attack by a fair margin. Shadow Ball and Earthquake are the best you'll get here, but if you don't have those moves available, just stick to whatever physical/stalling moves you have. None of Red's Pokemon resist Normal-type moves, so you've got a fair amount of leeway with what moves you pick here.

Dragonite @ Bitter Berry

- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Draggy's Gen II physical movepool is poor compared to his Special movepool, so he can go Special Sweeper here. Flamethrower, Thunderbolt and Ice Beam are all from the Crystal move tutor, and I've left ExtremeSpeed in there to make up for Draggy's low Speed stat.

Suicune @ Leftovers

- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Mirror Coat
- Rest

Stally Suicune, basically. Mirror Coat will waste Venusaur and Pikachu if you survive their attack (pretty big "if" there, so be careful) and will finish Espeon too if it tries to Psychic you. Surf and Ice Beam to cause some damage, and Rest to keep you alive, basically.

I've got nothing on Gyarados unfortunately - his Gen II movepool seems pretty horrible, and I've not been able to come up with anything from it unfortunately. Also, make sure to have Igglybuff in your team for added support - its presence in the battle is absolutely crucial for victory, as much as sarcasm is necessary for humour and wit.

Gyarados@Leftovers
-Double Edge/Strength/Headbutt
-Surf/Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt/Flamethrower/Ice Beam
-HP Ground/Toxic

The first move runs off of Gyarados's massive attack stat.
Surf/Hydro Pump gets STAB.
The third move is mostly coverage, but I see Thunderbolt being the most useful, since it hits other water types.
HP Ground is to deal with Electric-types, otherwise Flamethrower, Ice Beam or Toxic could be used in the last sopt if you don't get lucky and get HP Ground.