• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokecharms Day 2006!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It's once again Pokecharms Day! And, just like Oakster wrote on the latest news update, this is our third year celebrating it ;D

Another full year has past since last Charms Day and we're still kicking. Last year was a rocky ride due to Oakster's continuous PC/lappy problems, but the next 365 days should hold lots of great things for Pokecharms and for Pokemon fans in general.

The best of today is yet to come, too. First, while they've been a bit delayed, Oakster will be announcing this year's Pokecharms Day competitions after he gets off work. Then, at some point later tonight or tomorrow if need be, he'll finally be unveiling one of the pieces of Project X - something we've worked at for sometime now (should've been up on Pokemon's 10th Anniversary, but stuff happens).

So, happy Pokecharms Day! We all know what people will be drinking to tonight, even if they don't realize it ;)

EDIT: Heh... Scratch what I said above. Teh Alex has ran away from home and joined a traveling circus. I'm expecting a post card in the next few weeks.

He'll be back to start the comps. someday ;)

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Actually we drank to a good performance of Chicago when we went to the Adelphi theatre on the Strand. There's a tesco outlet. :p Now I'm drinking to a great 16th birthday!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I didn't drink any alcohol at all... Didn't drink anything for most of the day, actually. No wonder my body was aching o.O

I celebrated with a good bottle of Tropicana Twister "Orange Citrus Swirl"! ^^

Oh, and I dressed up. *Pokes avatar* Does that green jacket make me look fat?

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Oh, and I dressed up. *Pokes avatar* Does that green jacket make me look fat?

*snickers* Well, if you were an actual Raichu - you'd be fat, because Raichus are supposed to be fat! Have you ever seen a skinny Raichu? Or a skinny Pikachu, for that matter.

For everyone who doesn't go to irc, when Richard (my partner) & I were doing the "Who's That Pokemon?" competition, he was coming out with some bizarre descriptions of pkmn he couldn't remember the name of. I'm still laughing at the "fat round pokemon with the ears and the eyes and a tail, that it bounces on", and the fact I got utterly stuck on Azurill/Marill/Azumarill and couldn't think of anyone like that but brown, except Spinda, who has the ears but no tail. I still have no idea what "something kinda like an Ursaring but without the ring and a sort of greyish colour, like a Polar Ursaring" is, though.

I would also like to note, for the record, that I did NOT type the entry where 29 Pokemon have been guessed as "Wobbuffet" while the other is "Wynaut". That was someone else, significantly hairier and sillier than me :).

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
So, the competitions are finally over and the winners have been announced ^^

Here's a quick rundown of who won:
Sprite Comp. Winner - Prof. Cinders
PokeQuiz Winner - QuagsireQing
Who's That Pokemon? Winner - Trainer Yoshimitsu

You can view what the correct answers for "Who's That Pokemon?" were here: http://www.pokecharms.com/competitions/charmsday06/wtpokemonresults.php

Today's update on the main site news explains things in more detail (ie. runners up and the prizes).

You know, I don't get why you would pick someone who already won before.

Also:

Linkachu said:
Somehow I knew QQ would be winning something again this year ;)

Like TBA said, congrats to everyone who won, and thanks again to everyone who participated this year ^^

Sounds like a scam to me - for yall to get publicity >>;

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Damn man. Drop it already and stop being a sore loser :p

Why wouldn't we pick someone who entered, tied for first, and won by a random draw? You don't exclude someone just because they've won before. Now THAT would be cheap and unfair.

Seriously. There's no conspiracy against you, that's just how the draw turned out. Get over it.

Really loved the "cheap butts" comment in the chat btw. Gave me a good laugh.

I was only calling you cheap butts because you weren't giving me and the other winners a runnerup prize...when you say that runner up prizes were given...

Linkachu said:
Somehow I knew QQ would be winning something again this year ;)
Wow, that proves it right there.

~Scott

X

XTerminator1988

Well even though it appears to be a fair contest i think it would be a little more fair if there were some runners up prizes. Considering it was a three way tie. Just my personal opinion here

I quote from the news post announcing the contests: "we may even have some runners up prizes..."

MAY. As in, "We might, but we might not." It was never a sure thing.

So just chill, man. It's not the end of the world.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Well even though it appears to be a fair contest i think it would be a little more fair if there were some runners up prizes. Considering it was a three way tie. Just my personal opinion here

Alex is the one who bought the prizes this year so he can answer for himself, but I'd assume it's because he's not rich and doesn't really have the extra money to buy multiple prizes. That's why it came down to a random draw - fairest way to go in the situation like that.

Your comment was sensible, XTerminator1988. Scott on the otherhand attacked our credibility with baseless comments out of spite for not winning. Alex added up the scores for the comps and picked the winner for the quiz out of a random name draw. I had no influence in who won, but that's not really the point here. The point is Scott's just being a sore loser, and QQ won fair and square.

No more of this junk here either. The people who won deserve their congrats, not to feel bad about it. This is a warning in advance to anyone else who makes harrassing comments.

I'm not being a sore loser. I thought there was something going on when I saw what you said about QQ winning and then putting a ;) face...

I don't care about some Pokémon toy - the last Pokemon toy I ever got was like 5 or 6 years ago - I'm too old to be playing with toys.

Oh yeah, a runnerup prize could've simply been some Pokémon card or something to add to our collections, it doesn't have to be something like a toy, just a mere card. Something that he already had where he wouldn't have to spend money. :D

By the way, Xterminator is my friend - and he thought the contest was rigged too. The Pokedream contest that me & him won was worth it. But you put us through Hard questions and we didn't get anything for our work. >>; That's why it doesn't seem fair. That's all I have to say.

Also - will you tell us what questions we "missed" and the "correct" answers to them?

Was it the questions about Trozei & the one about Hey You Pikachu...?

And actually, the whole idea of my outburst came from the comment you put on the site about him winning and the face...obviously I'm not responsible for what you wrote.

~Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
If all you'd really cared about was a runner-up prize you could have just asked about one, but you didn't. All your explanations to justify your actions are BS.

You're not responsible for jumping the gun, accusing me and the site, and for acting like a sore loser (which all considered is a pretty big understatement)?

Big surprise there.

Btw - You were warned, and now you're n00bified. Grow up, or get out.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
*ignores the goings-on above and celebrates* Yay! I won something! It's more than I got from Japan... (for all those who don't know yet, which would be... look at that, all of you! Anyway, my dad spent the whole weekend looking for a DS Lite... and couldn't find one, unsurprisingly. All he got was a sore elbow after tripping over in the middle of the road. :p) Anyway, can't wait until I hear more.