• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Platinum Competitive Team

Gyarados@?
Intimidate
Adamant
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 6 HP
-Ice Fang
-Outrage
-Dragon Dance
-Aqua Tail/Waterfall
I have Gyarados to Dragon Dance at least once before going in for the kill. I think the moveset is diverse, but I'm up for any suggestions.

Scizor@Occa Berry
Technician
Adamant
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 6 Sp.Def
-Bullet Punch
-X-scissor
-Brick Break
-?
for Scizor, I have no idea what to use for a fourth move, but I think the moves so far are pretty good.

Dusknoir@?
Pressure
Brave
252 Def, 252 Sp.Def, 6 HP
-Will-O-Wisp
-Thunder Wave
-Shadow Sneak
-Torment
Dusknoir is my tank/wall/whatever it is and will status, Torment, then Shadow Sneak unless it gets walled by something resistant. The EV spread might have to be changed imo.

Swellow@Flame Orb/Choice Band
Guts
Adamant
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 6 Sp.Def
-Facade
-U-Turn
-Pursuit
-Aerial Ace/Brave Bird
This Swellow is something I can be proud of. In case of Double battles, it'll hold Choice Band instead and have Dusknoir WoW it for that Guts boost.

Ninjask@Focus Band?
Speed Boost
?
?
-Baton Pass
-Swords Dance
-Roost
-U-Turn
Ninjask serves as the Baton Passer, passing off to any of the physical attackers. What to use for EVs or a nature are beyond me, however.

Togekiss@?
Serene Grace
Timid
252 Spe, 252 Sp.Atk, 6 HP
-Nasty Plot
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere
-Flamethrower
Nasty Plot at least once, then shower the opponent with hell, imo. Flamethrower adds the Steel coverage that happens to really be lacking, with Scizor the only other one capable of hurting them badly.

Please help me out! I'll take in any/all suggestions that seem really good.

Please help me out! I'll take in any/all suggestions that seem really good.
Cool. I'm by no means a good competitive battler, I just play for fun, but I'll sling some ideas your way:

Gyarados looks good, generic in my books, but good.

Scizor... try adding Swords Dance maybe? Or Roost is an option, as well.

Dusknoir. Looks good. Never faced one built like that or used one, but I like it :D

Swellow, a classic. I'm sure Jet has hundreds of these up his sleeves for you :p

Ninjask I'm no help with, I have no idea :p I'd assume some defense... and a Jolly nature? I dunno.

Togekiss - Ditch Flamethrower! You have Aura Sphere for that :) Then you can have ThunderWave or Roost or something nice.

So, you have my thoughts :)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
If Steel-types bother you, swap Gyarados's Outrage for Earthquake for a bit of extra coverage there. Since Outrage offers essentially no extra coverage for you with Gyarados (besides an OHKO on Kingdra) and also completely locks you down for up to 3 turns, it's only really useful if you get STAB on it for the raw power it provides. Wacan Berry is probably the best item for Gyarados, although Muscle Band is also a good option.

My planned Scizor moveset looks like this:

Scizor @ Occa Berry
Adamant
Technician
252 HP/252 ATK/6 SPEED

- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Swords Dance

Designed to avoid bringing Scizor's Speed to light as much as possible, which allows you to put all the EVs that would usually end up in Speed on HP instead. Bullet Punch is always the move of choice on any Tech'd Scizor, and Swords Dance increases Scizor's damage output with the move considerably. Superpower is for taking out other Steel-types and severely punishing any Normal-types such as Snorlax and Blissey, although the stat drops that come with it should be taken note of. Pursuit is also used for bypassing Scizor's low Speed, since it also always goes first if the opponent tries to switch out - good for sneaky KOs. Also, if the opponent stays in Pursuit gets a Tech boost, essentially checkmating foes such as Alakazam and Gengar, who will struggle to OHKO you with 252 EVs in HP - Occa Berry also removes the potential Hidden Power Fire threat from these two foes, which allows Pursuit to completely seal their fate if they lack Substitute.

Dusknoir is...odd, but quite good - Torment is deadly against anything that would use a Choice item since it forces them to use Struggle every other turn unless they switch out. Having both Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave does clash though, as does Thunder Wave + Shadow Sneak since the Speed drop inflicted by Thunder Wave essentially becomes moot. Otherwise Dusknoir isn't bad.

If you still want a Thunder Waver, then there's no better T-Waver than...

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Calm/Modest
Serene Grace

- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

The infamous flinch-hax Togekiss, possibly the most annoying moveset in Gen IV. Air Slash gives a 60% chance of flinching the target, with Thunder Wave guaranteeing that you'll outspeed your target unless they're either a Ground-type, have Limber, or are Electivire/anything with Volt Absorb. Roost makes you even tougher to kill, and Aura Sphere gives extra coverage - only Zapdos and Rotom really wall this set.

LoN, KoL, I LOVE the suggestions and am just about to start the team on Platinum.

Only have two questions though.

1) Anything for Ninjask? Or possibly a Poke that can do the job better?

2) On the Togekiss suggested, what EV spread?

Aside from that, Gyarados is already in the bag, I just had to tweak his moves. Thanks for the advice guys!

Hmm... for Ninjask, how about slinging EVs in defenses and swapping Swords Dance for Substitute? That guarantees a speed boosted Baton Pass and possibly a, albeit weak-ish, Substitute to hide behind.

Just an idea here :p

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Keep in mind that with Protect and Substitute on Ninjask, you're essentially guaranteed 6 Speed Boosts unless the opponent has a priority attack and/or there's Hail/Sandstorm on the field. Substitute also lets you pass a Pinch Berry boost over as well.

I'd lump 252 in Speed on Ninjask anyway if you do run Sub - typically you want to make absolutely sure that you will go first when Subbing with Ninjask, since all three Base 130 Speed Pokemon get STAB in a type that Ninjask is weak to, and being caught with no Speed Boosts by them will seal your doom if you've no EVs on your Speed stat. With Protect + Sub, extra defenses won't be necessary since you aren't actually getting hit, although lumping 252 EVs into HP for extra-strong Subs wouldn't hurt.