• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles OU Team Editing

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SDef
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

Excadrill (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost

I've tested the waters with this team, and the results have been pretty positive. Originally, I had Blissey filling Chansey's spot, acting as a Special wall/Aromatherapy user, and I was getting success out of it, but I needed Wish support pretty badly. Now that she's been replaced, I've been missing the Aromatherapy support that Blissey provided, and (to my knowledge) Blissey can't legally have Wish and Aromatherapy on the same set. I want to add another support Pokemon so I can have the best of both worlds, but I am struggling to think of which Pokemon I should remove in order to make space for an Aromatherapy user.

-Charizard is great for getting some quick, easy KO's, and is also useful as a wallbreaker and a revenge killer.

-Excadrill revenge-kills everything in sight, messes up Fairy types (which used to cause me big problems before I had him in the team), and has Rapid Spin.

-Multiscale allows Dragonite to tank even super-effective hits, so it can get a Dragon Dance off and start blowing apart teams.

-Chansey takes every Special hit ever, and can be used for Wish or Aromatherapy support.

-Jellicent partners really well with Dragonite, scaring away Dragon-type counters with Ice Beam, burning Physical attackers, blocking Rapid Spin, and just generally making a nuisance of itself.

-Ferrothorn sets up the rocks, and deals handily with Azumarril and other bulky Water types.

Can you help me?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Chansey may not be able to learn Wish and Aromatherapy but I'm pretty sure it can learn Wish and Heal Bell on the same set, and since the only difference I can think of between Aromatherapy and Heal Bell being Heal Bell not working on Soundproof Pokemon, I think you'll do fine with that.

Do note that you'd risk making Chansey/Blissey setup bait in the process of this mind.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Team looks solid to me, I just have a few suggestions of possible tweaks, not including what KoL has alread covered

Since your team has a particularly defensive edge to it, Leech Seed on Ferrothorn might be a possible addition to help out when switching to Dragonite and Jellicent in particular. Between Will-o-Wisp and Thunder wave already existing on the team, I'd replace toxic and give that a test run. My next choice would be Gyro Ball since you have support from Excadrill to help with Fairies.

Next up, since your Excadrill is scarved and you have no sandstorm support within the team, I think Mold Breaker would suit it better than Sand Rush. Or even Sand Force in the event of relying on opponent sandstorms, but I think it has plenty of speed as it is from the scarf.

Finally, you could consider solar beam on Charizard. Unfortunately, if you get rid of either of your existing coverage attacks, you'd either open yourself up to Heatran or Dragon Types... And letting go of roost doesn't seem like a wise decision given the rest of your team either. But wanted to throw it out here, anyway.

Chansey may not be able to learn Wish and Aromatherapy but I'm pretty sure it can learn Wish and Heal Bell on the same set, and since the only difference I can think of between Aromatherapy and Heal Bell being Heal Bell not working on Soundproof Pokemon, I think you'll do fine with that.

Do note that you'd risk making Chansey/Blissey setup bait in the process of this mind.

Indeed it can, I honestly totally forgot Heal Bell existed. I was thinking about replacing Protect with it, how does that sound? Also, I was thinking about replacing Thunder Wave with Toxic, so if anything tries to set up on Chansey, Toxic damage and Seismic Toss either force a switch out or kill it.

Since your team has a particularly defensive edge to it, Leech Seed on Ferrothorn might be a possible addition to help out when switching to Dragonite and Jellicent in particular. Between Will-o-Wisp and Thunder Wave already existing on the team, I'd replace Toxic and give that a test run. My next choice would be Gyro Ball since you have support from Excadrill to help with Fairies.

Next up, since your Excadrill is scarved and you have no sandstorm support within the team, I think Mold Breaker would suit it better than Sand Rush. Or even Sand Force in the event of relying on opponent sandstorms, but I think it has plenty of speed as it is from the scarf.

Finally, you could consider solar beam on Charizard. Unfortunately, if you get rid of either of your existing coverage attacks, you'd either open yourself up to Heatran or Dragon Types... And letting go of roost doesn't seem like a wise decision given the rest of your team either. But wanted to throw it out here, anyway.

I'll give Leech Seed a try and see how it works out. Toxic isn't all that useful on Ferrothorn anyway. Gyro Ball is a very useful asset to have. Ferrothorn's low, low speed means that it has high power, so it hits most non-resisting Pokemon pretty damn hard, and gives me an attacking option if Power Whip is resisted. It also provides useful backup if Excadrill can't take on all the Fairys.

You're probably right about Mold Breaker being more suitable for Excadrill, I'll change that.

I did originally have Solarbeam on Charizard, but it was kind of redundant as I already had counters to bulky waters, and Dragon types were constantly being used as a switch-in to Charizard. For what I've faced so far, Dragon Pulse seems more suitable.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Regarding the potential removal of thunder wave - I'd say keep it as it allows Chansey to maintain an extremely threatning presence in the face of all but electric and ground attackers. Thunder wave is, in my opinion, far more crippling to most offensive pokemon than toxic is.

That said, I'm not saying toxic is bad on chansey by any means; I'd just suggest dropping Seismic Toss for it.
I find that several specialized pokemon perform just fine even with some glaring weaknesses, in this case to taunt. So let me pose the question - when your chansey gets taunted, do you stay in and use Seismic toss, or do you normally switch out anyway? If you'd normally switch anyway, I'd say give the double status a go alongside your normal clerical support.

Regarding the potential removal of thunder wave - I'd say keep it as it allows Chansey to maintain an extremely threatning presence in the face of all but electric and ground attackers. Thunder wave is, in my opinion, far more crippling to most offensive pokemon than toxic is.

That said, I'm not saying toxic is bad on chansey by any means; I'd just suggest dropping Seismic Toss for it.
I find that several specialized pokemon perform just fine even with some glaring weaknesses, in this case to taunt. So let me pose the question - when your chansey gets taunted, do you stay in and use Seismic toss, or do you normally switch out anyway? If you'd normally switch anyway, I'd say give the double status a go alongside your normal clerical support.

Surprisingly enough, my Chansey has never been Taunted. If it were, whether I stay in or switch out really depends on the Pokemon I'm facing. If it's an Aerodactyl (or something of that ilk) I'll stay in and wittle it down with Seismic Toss. If it were a defensive Pokemon (read: high HP, wont get 3/4KO'd by Seismic Toss), I'd switch.