• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New Competitive Team

I'd like a brand new competitive team. Here is my best go at it. I'm not very good at final moves, obviously...

Ninjask @ Focus Sash
Speed Boost
Adamant
EV - 4 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed

- X-Scissor
- Baton Pass
- Aerial Ace
- Protect?

I'm guessing a Protect because it'll give me a free Speed Boost

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Poison Point
Timid
EV - 4 HP, 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed

- Energy Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- ??

Luxray @ Life Orb
Intimidate
Mild
EV -100 Attack, 152 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed

- Discharge
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- ??

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Huge Power
Adamant
EV - 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Defense

- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Double Edge
- ??

It's, in general, a weak Pokemon, but with Huge Power doubling Attack and a large HP, it can serve as a Tank.

Ambipom @ ??
Technician
Jolly
EV - 4 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed

- Double Hit
- Aerial Ace
- Brick Break
- ??

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Thick Fat
Adamant
EV -4 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Sp. Defense

- Double Edge
- Brick Break?
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Alrighty, lets start:

- Ninjask will be far better at passing Speed Boost if you have both Protect and Substitute on the set. This way, you can get several Speed Boosts (getting all six boosts is quite possible) so you can even turn something normally slow into a speed demon. HP training can work with this if you want to pass the Substitutes as well, but honestly I don't think it's necessary and I highly doubt Ninjask would be allowed to pass a Substitute by the opponent anyway. Swords Dance is a nice option if your Substitute somehow manages to survive, Pinch Berries work fantastically with Substitute for Ninjask here and give you another stat to pass, although note that Swords Dance/Substitute/Protect/Baton Pass leaves you with no attacks of your own.

- Roserade with Leaf Storm is deadly, and it is the best option for Grass STAB by far. Sludge Bomb is relatively mandatory for dual-STAB alongside Leaf Storm since it provides a STAB move that won't drop your Sp.Attack, so definitely keep that. Sleep Powder tends to be very popular on Roserade for good reason, since Roserade can put a potential switch-in counter to sleep and then switch out without risk. Toxic Spikes and Hidden Power Fire, Ice or Ground are common on Roserade as well, although Shadow Ball can knock down stuff like Gengar and Drifblim for you.

- Luxray doesn't work as a standard sweeper - he is far too slow, and Life Orb will only get him killed. My personal spin on Luxray was to make use of his decent bulk alongside Intimidate and use him to get surprise-kills against common sweepers and other major threats (Salamence, Gyarados, Scizor and Tyranitar specifically.)

Luxray @ Shuca Berry
Adamant/Impish
252 HP/252 Attack/6 Defense

- Spark
- Ice Fang
- Fire Fang
- Superpower

Shuca Berry gives Luxray (temporarily) no weaknesses, and since the likes of Gyarados, Salamence and Tyranitar are likely to attempt Earthquakes on Luxray, it gives you the perfect opportunity to punish their predictability and strike them down with the appropriate moves - note that Luxray can hit all four aforementioned Pokemon for 4x super-effective damage here. Scizor will likely flee for its life after being Intimidated by something that resists Bullet Punch anyway, although you might want some Speed EVs down to ensure that if he does attempt, say, Bug Bite or Superpower, that you'll outspeed him anyway and crush him with Fire Fang.

- Where's Aqua Jet? This move is mandatory on Azumarill since it uses Huge Power to the fullest potential. Superpower provides fantastic coverage also and makes for a good fourth move, sadly Azumarill's best moves are all Egg Moves, many of which can't be used together (Aqua Jet Belly Drum would be rape, but unfortunately can't be used) so all attacks is the best Azumarill has really. Luckily, this does make a Choice Band quite viable for Azumarill, and an extra 50% boost on top of Huge Power will make Azumarill devastating.

If you're a Choice Item hater, I'll shoot you over the internet.

- Where's Fake Out? This move is even more mandatory on Ambipom than Aqua Jet is on Azumarill, especially with Technician on board. U-Turn works well here too since it grants Azumarill a speedy get-away move after he's Faked Out his target. Brick Break gives you something to strike Steel-types with (Lucario will be able to set up Swords Dance on you without it, and that's basically Game Over for you) and Double Hit can stay. Life Orb works best here to boost your damage further.

- Brick Break? Did you forget the part where Ghosts are immune to Normal and Fighting? Fire Punch and Crunch are the most popular choices for the second slot, and while Crunch seems like the more obvious choice Fire Punch prevents Snorlax from being facerolled by Lucario and other Steel-types (The reason I bring Lucario up is because being walled by him can easily cost you an entire match instantly) so Fire Punch gets my vote. Also, Body Slam is WAY better than Double-Edge on Snorlax.

Between the severe lack of Egg Moves and overall a lot of crucial moves being missed out on many of your team-members, there's a fair few gaps in your knowledge you'll need to fill in order to succeed competitively.

Thanks for your help. The reason I don't know too much about this team is because I'm new to them. I can understand the stupidity in missing out on Aqua Jet and Fake Out though. *facepalms* The lack of any other move on Snorlax for Ghosts is worse. *facepalm*

What EVs would Ninjask get if he is a non-attacker? I'm toying the idea of allowing him to pass Swords Dance as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
No-attack Ninjask will want full HP/Speed. The higher your HP value is, the more damage your Substitutes will be able to take before they are destroyed, making them more helpful when passing them to other Pokemon.

Reviving instead of making a new thread.

I've acquired new Pokemon since last time, so I thought I'd put them to use. I took out a Physical attacker for a Special because I only had one Special attacker at first. Now, I have 2 Special, 2 Physical, 1 Physical Attacker/Sp. Def wall (sort of), and a Baton Passer.

Ninjask @ Pinch
Speed Boost
Jolly
EV - 252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 Defense

- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Poison Point
Timid
EV - 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Sleep Powder/Toxic Spikes

Manectric @ Life Orb
Lightningrod
Timid
EV - 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Charge Beam
- Signal Beam

I got this from Magpie (♥), and I'd still like an Electric type. This has great IVs, so I thought to put it to use. I can't change Lightningrod for this reason. It can be good if I decide to go double battle. Charge Beam to raise its already huge Sp. Attack when I can afford it, and Life Orb to give the moves an even bigger boost.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Huge Power
Adamant
EV - 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Defense

- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch
- Double Edge
- Superpower

Entei @ Liechi Berry
Flash Fire
Adamant
EV - 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- ??
- ??

Yes, this is the Shiny Entei. I'm not sure about good moves for Entei because it mainly learns Special attacks. I'm thinking about maybe changing the EVs and Nature to allow Overheat, but I'm not sure if Entei's Sp. Attack is high enough for that...

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Thick Fat
Adamant
EV - 252 Attack, 252 Sp. Defense, 4 HP

- Body Slam
- Fire Punch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This is what I have for now. With the great advice I got, I think this is a great team besides the lack of moves for Entei.

Last edited by a moderator:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
- I've taken the liberty of correcting your typo on Ninjask myself. Jolly will be preferrable here since Ninjask wants to make the absolute most of his massive Speed stat right away in case a quick Taunter like Electrode rolls (literally) in to put a stop to your plans. The set works, it's standard, but be VERY careful of Taunters and PHazers - it's best to know which Pokemon are likely to fit these roles so you know who to look out for. The pinch berry you choose here (either Liechi or Petaya) depends on who you think you're likely to want to pass stat boosts to the most - if it's Manectric or Roserade, Petaya will work best (and it provides some flexibility with Swords Dance too) but Liechi works if you'd only pass boosts to Entei or Snorlax.

- Roserade won't see a tremendous level of use from Black Sludge if you aren't careful, so make sure you know who's safe to stay in on and who isn't when using Roserade. You never want to run Toxic Spikes without Sleep Powder, since Roserade will get destroyed if it tries setting up entry hazards against something that is free to attack it. Having Roserade as a Focus Sash lead works well if you choose to carry dual-STAB + Sleep Powder + Toxic Spikes. Finally, Natural Cure is far better than Poison Point since most of Roserade's worst enemies are Steel-types who can't be poisoned anyway.

- I wouldn't call Manectric's Sp.Attack "huge" by any stretch of the imagination (Heatran, Gengar, Alakazam and Chandelure are the ones that can boast that) so don't go overestimating yourself. Check what Hidden Power type you're packing here - if it's Grass, Ice or Water, I'd stick Hidden Power over Signal Beam, but other than that, you're good. Note that LightningRod goes from useless to amazing from Gen IV to Gen V too.

- Azumarill's awesome. Next.

- Ah, Entei, finally able to realize his true potential. Entei's certainly been winning a fair few "most improved" awards lately, but anyway...Iron Head and Stone Edge are still Entei's only real options for coverage moves on the physical side, but Flare Blitz and ExtremeSpeed certainly go a long way in helping Entei realize his potential. Howl is surprisingly not as useless as it may seem at a glance since it finally gives Entei the Attack-boosting setup move he's always longed for, and anything's better than nothing right? You're better off with Muscle Band on Entei since Liechi's hard to utilize without Substitute.

- Hey fatso. Watch out for Conkurdell when Gen V swings around.

Thanks. I guess I forgot to change the Adamant because that's useless without any offense on its part. I also forgot LightningRod's boost in usefulness in Gen V. That's why it has it...

I disagree with the need for 252 speed Evs on Ninjask, or even any speed on Ninjask at all. Just by using a jolly nature without EVs, he'll be on 391 speed which is already faster than every pokemon bar Jolt, Aero, Crobat, Electrode, Deoxys-S and enemy Ninjask. After 1 protect only Deoxys-S and Ninjask have a shot of plausibly outspeeding you without needing a choice scarf. It's very rare that you won't get at least 2 speed boost anyway. Honestly, I don't like Ninjask without an attacking move most of the time since he's nothing more than bait but I can't see what you would replace to fit one one, bar protect maybe. I would go with
248 HP | 252 Defence | 8 Speed along with an Impish nature to give you more durability, and to make your subs harder to break.

Roserade should run Sleep Powder / Toxic Spikes / Leaf Storm / Shadow Ball. Ideally I would put Hidden Power Ground on in place of Shadow Ball, but if this is for wifi it may be a bit hard to come by. Toxic Spikes put a timer on Kingdra somewhat, which is very important since this team has troubles with him thanks to no Dragon resist in general. As KoL said Natural Cure is better than Poison Point and more useful in general.

Manny's cool.

No Waterfall on Azumarill? Despite getting Pure Power you'll still be missing out on some KOs,. While this may be putting too much reliance on you setting up with Ninjask successfully, I would stick a Lum berry on this instead of Choice Band so he can act as a recipient to +2 speed and +2 attack. Gamefreak should've given Azumarill Close Combat but w/e

I want to introduce an Entei set to you:

Entei @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Stone Edge
- Rest

Assuming once again that you'll be passing boosts down to Entei, hence the lack of roar. He'll hit hard without them, with 361 Attack anyway. Stone Edge means silly things like Gyarados and Dragonite can't come in and wall you. You're going to be quite low on health after all that Blitzing, so Rest up back to full health and continue the sweep. Extremespeed things that are faster obv. The speed evs give you enough to outpace Max Speed Gyarados, and the rest is stuck into HP to give an odd number. Attack is maxed.