• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Need a New Lead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Hmkay, I have two candidates to be my new lead Pokemon. Thunderdog has been awesome at filling the role, but he's not really meant to be the lead by any means. So, Candidate number one is my old Aerodactyl. I bred him a while ago with good IVs and such, but I never really used him much. He kicked butt against my friend though.

Aerodactyl@?
Jolly Nature
Pressure
- Rock Slide
- Substitute
- Roost
- Taunt

That's his current moveset, but I'm not sure about it. Rock Slide for obvious STAB and a nice bonus of causing a flinch every so often. Sub/Roost to help him live a little longer. Taunt was to stop other leads from setting up, but I can honestly say I never used it. So, what's recommended for a leading 'Dactyl? I know he's meant to be a popular lead...

Weavile@?
Jolly Nature
Pressure
- Ice Shard
- Ice Punch
- Pursuit/Night Slash
- Brick Break/Fake Out

I had a lovely Weavile that I rented during the Battle Factory matches I played with Linkachu and I have to admit that I kind of like the little guy now XD
Obvious speed + attack makes him seem like a good lead on paper, although again he isn't going to be taking many hits.

Ice Shard for leads like Aerodactyl (XD) and to have a safe hit against Dragons who like to Dance. Ice Punch for a stronger STAB move when priority isn't needed. I should also mention that Ice Shard would be the only Priority move I have on my entire Team, unless I give Floatzel Aqua Jet or Quick attack

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
It's slightly ironic that your leading with Manectric inspired me to lead with Lucario, which resulted in one of the most deadly anti-leads I've ever seen in action.

Just from looking at the two, I'd consider Aerodactyl to be the better pick of the two as a lead due to the general bulki-ness of a lot of common leads and Weavile's inability to deal with the majority of bulky leads (although it does destroy the less sturdy leads with shocking efficiency.) Although Weavile can lead off and counter quite a few opponents, Weavile generally shines more as a late-game revenge killer who picks off weakened foes with its attacks, whereas Aerodactyl is a bit more versatile overall.

So, without further ado, here's a standard Aerodactyl lead:

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Jolly
Pressure

- Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

It requires a bit of guessing, but it's a good set nonetheless and requires no Egg moves at all - just TMs. Most people love to set up entry hazards/weather effects on their first turn, but Taunt prevents that by forcing them to have to use an attack move instead. Be wary that some opponents will expect Taunt and simply attack you right off the bat, which works well in your favour if you use another move instead such as Stealth Rock to set up the field whilst they attack, or strike with one of your attack moves. Fire Fang is a decent option for Bronzong leads which are common as all hell - stick it in anywhere you choose should one of the moves on the set end up being somewhat ineffective. Full Attack and Speed EVs will do just fine for this.

Weavile, again, would probably be better suited for late-game attacks to finish off weakened opponents. The set you have there for it is absolutely fine overall - the item and overall layout of the moves would be down to personal preference really.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
It's slightly ironic that your leading with Manectric inspired me to lead with Lucario, which resulted in one of the most deadly anti-leads I've ever seen in action.

XD

You know, I can see me training my new lead, using him for a little while and then reverting back to Manectric. For a Pokemon relegated to NU, I think he does rather well and my team just wouldn't be the same without him taking the lead. I just find that after he's kicked butt and been taken down I find myself wishing I still had him later. But like I say, he'll probably end up back as the lead XD

Anyway, Aerodactyl set looks interesting. My prediction still isn't the best of things, but I'll get better eventually, and if I do have 'Dactyl as the lead it'll help me learn faster. I like the idea of Fire Fang - I was considering it before I posted, so if something on the set doesn't work out for me, it'll most likely get swapped. I may also train a Weavile anyway, since I think he'd be useful as a team member, even if he isn't the lead.

Thanks for the help, good sir. It is much appreciated

I used weavile for a while. Here's what I used on him as a lead.

Night Slash
Pursuit
Brick Break
Ice Shard

Ice Shard and Brick break are fairly self explanatory. Weavile should beat out most mach punchers and shadow sneaks with his ice shard. Brick break is a solid physical move that is super effective against some problem types.

Night slash is physical, benefits from STAB, and has a high crit rate, making it invaluable.

Pursuit helps because weavile is a feared lead. With good prediction you will be able to KO your opponents lead if they choose to run. If this isn't your style you can put swords dance here, but I found my weavile wasn't sturdy enough to set up in that manner.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Yeah, this thread pretty much ran its course around 18 days ago. I suggest sticking to posting advice in threads that aren't, y'know, dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.