• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

My team needs some help.

I've been trying to create a team on Pokemon Black that has good coverage over many different types of pokemon. So far this is my team:

Lvl 100 Metagross w/Leftovers
Adamant Nature
Clear Body
HP: 284
Atk: 376
Def: 309
Sp.A: 190
Sp. Def: 244
Speed: 160
Moveset:
Bullet Punch
Meteor Mash
Zen Headbutt
Earthquake
------------
Lvl. 100 Dragonite w/Razor Claw
Rash Nature
Inner Focus
HP: 303
Atk: 360
Def: 200
Sp.A: 239
Sp.D: 268
Speed: 174
Moveset:
Thunderbolt
Dragon Rush
Flamethrower
Fly
------------
Lvl. 100 Tyranitar w/Nothing
Careful Nature
Sand Stream
HP: 339
Atk: 282
Def: 256
Sp.A: 179
Sp.D: 228
Speed: 151
Moveset:
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Hyper Beam
Giga Impact
------------
Lvl. 100 Crobat w/Bright Powder
Timid Nature
Inner Focus
HP: 289
Atk: 171
Def: 196
Sp.A: 175
Sp.D: 241
Speed: 370
Moveset:
Confuse Ray
Toxic
Double Team
Venoshock
---------------
Lvl. 100 Hydreigon w/Life Orb
Modest Nature
Levitate
HP: 323
Atk: 200
Def: 199
Sp.A: 365
Sp.D: 190
Speed: 263
Moveset:
Earthquake
Surf
Fire Blast
Draco Meteor
-------------
Lvl. 1 Aron w/Shell Bell :)
Mild Nature
Sturdy
HP: 12
Atk: 6
Def: 6
Sp.A: 6
Sp.D: 5
Speed: 5
Moveset:
Tackle
Endeavor :)
---------------
Basically I need criticism. I want to know what I can do to make this team better, even if it involves ditching one of them for another. I just started actually doing battles online and so far I have a 4 out of 31 win span. :@ Oh and Aron is level 1 for a reason. :)

KoL usually does all the Clinic work, but I figured I'll gloss through some things!

I don't know much about Metagross, so I'll skip over that, but please for the love of the heavens, drop Fly from Dragonite. Because it's bad. The base power isn't all that strong and it gives your opponent a turn to switch into something like Aggron or something, whom resists it fully. If you really want a Flying move, pick Hurricane or whatever it was called. However, your Dragonite's attack appears to be much higher than the special attack, so you may want to look into how useful Thunderbolt and Flamethrower really are. I really don't play Dragonite a lot, so someone else can say something about it.

If you want diversity why does Tyranitar have Hyper Beam and Giga Impact? They may be strong, but they're both horrible moves. Here's a scenario. You Hyper Beam, something dies. Opponent sends in Conkeldurr, who uses the free turn to set up with Bulk Up or just outright kill you with Drain Punch. Whoopee. Use some other, more useful moves like Stealth Rock or Crunch.

If you plan on using Crobat competitively Double Team is pretty much banned everywhere. Forever. Drop it for Protect if you truly plan on being some Toxic abuser. Venoshock is similarly not that amazing since your opponent can switch out and beat you in the face with a psychic or something. Look into moves like U-Turn, Roost, Taunt, or even Brave Bird.

So your Hydreigon looks fine as long as you take off Earthquake. It has a Modest nature already and it's built to be a special attacker, so use a special attack!

Not going to talk about Aron, but be aware he's useless if the opponent has a proper counter to that strategy. You know, like a Ghost.

KoL can say more than me about natures and placement and coherency, but I just wanted to go over the moves.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Read this topic please, VictorLamb.

It's clear just by looking at your moves, natures, hold items and stats that you lack even the most rudimentary knowledge of competitive battling: that topic contains much of what you need to know first. Anything I'd advise you on at this stage would just involve me copypasting stuff out of that topic anyway, so you might as well just read the whole thing as it is.

Once you've done that, make the necessary changes to your team as the topic directs, and then I'll advise you further in more detail.

Oh, and make sure you do read it and change your team accordingly; I can quite easily tell if you've read it or not.

Tangrow said:
Not going to talk about Aron, but be aware he's useless if the opponent has a proper counter to that strategy. You know, like a Ghost.

Also, Fake Out, Spikes, and Stealth Rock completely ruin it since the whole thing relies on Sturdy. I'd honestly just completely scrap Aron because it's just too gimmicky and falls fast when there's entry hazards on the field...which there usually is, competitively.

Thanks guys, just got off work. Long day. This team wasn't a final cut team or anything. And KoL your right, I know nothing of competitive playing yet as I have just started lol. I will read into that topic. Aron wasn't too serious to me, it's just amusing to fight lvl 100s with a lvl 1 :)
And also when I revise a better team I will post it here so I can gather opinions once again.

How about now???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lvl. 100 Metagross w/Leftovers
Adamant Nature
Clear Body
HP:284
Atk: 376
Def: 309
Sp.A: 190
Sp.D: 244
Speed: 160
Moveset:
Bullet Punch
Meteor Mash
Zen Headbutt
Earthquake
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lvl. 100 Hydreigon w/Choice Specs
Modest Nature
Levitate
HP: 323
Atk: 200
Def: 199
Sp.A: 365
Sp.D: 190
Speed: 263
Moveset:
U-Turn
Surf
Fire Blast
Draco Meteor
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lvl. 100 Houndoom w/Focus Sash
Naive Nature
Unnerve
HP: 262
Atk: 192
Def: 129
Sp.A: 303
Sp.D: 149
Speed: 301
Moveset:
Hidden Power
Protect
Sucker Punch
Fire Blast
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lvl. 100 Kingdra w/Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
Swift Swim
HP: 289
Atk: 290
Def: 198
Sp.A: 197
Sp.D: 202
Speed: 242
Moveset:
Substitute
Waterfall
Dragon Pulse
Dragon Dance
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lvl. 100 Scizor w/Life Orb
Adamant Nature
Technician
HP: 273
Atk: 360
Def: 210
Sp.A: 129
Sp.D: 180
Speed: 203
Moveset:
Bullet Punch
Swords Dance
Brick Break
X-Scissor
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lvl 100. Magnezone w/Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
Magnet Pull
HP: 276
Atk: 135
Def: 251
Sp.A: 349
Sp.D: 215
Speed: 237
Moveset:
Volt Switch
Flash Cannon
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I believe I did pretty good on this one, but anyway let me know stuff.

Rileyixx said:
Squirtle having three normal type moves is idiotic and out of those normal type moves body slam is the only decent one due to the others needing to recharge and Hyper Beam on Snorlax are you crazy?

Where did Squirtle come from?
Edit: Oh nevermind it's that guys name. lol

Victor, if you read the topic KoL linked, you would have seen something about EV training. If you don't mind, could you post the EVs for your Pokemon? Also, we don't really need to know the stats of them, either. Right now, I'm not sure if they're EV trained or not, and I don't want to go through the hassle of comparing your stats to EV'd stats(and yes, EV training makes a HUGE difference in terms of competitive battling). Here's my rundown as it stands anyway:

As it stands, drop Zen Headbutt on Metagross. The flinch-hax is nice, but with a speed of 160, you won't be making use of it anytime soon. You have a few options in terms of moveset and item to use, but as it stands, Metagross is currently your only team member who can utilize the almighty Stealth Rock. That moveset would look like:

Metagross@Air Balloon/Occa Berry/Leftovers
Adamant
Clear Body
252 Atk, 252 HP/Spe(I don't remember if it's supposed to be HP or Speed, so...)/4 HP/Spe(depending on what the other is supposed to be)
-Stealth Rock
-Meteor Mash
-Bullet Punch
-Pursuit/Hammer Arm

If you don't want to use Stealth Rock, Metagross is capable of running Choice Band/Scarf, Agility, Mixed, you name it! Notable move options are Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Earthquake, Zen Headbutt, Agility, and even Trick if you're running a Choice set.

Hydreigon seems for the most part, but here's just a few extra tips: Dark Pulse, Focus Blast, and Flamethrower are excellent move options(Flamethrower mostly for if you don't like Fire Blast's accuracy). It can also run Expert Belt to trick opponents into thinking you have a Choice Specs/Scarf, which can be their undoing. Life Orb is also nice. For EVs, essentially 252 in SpA and Speed, but you can shift some Speed EVs to HP for added cushioning.

Houndoom: Hope your Hidden Power is Grass, as it can take care of a lot of Water, Rock, and Ground types that come in to take care of Houndoom. Actually, since you have Unnerve, get a new Houndoom altogether, especially one that has Flash Fire. This amazing ability works in tandem with Metagross and Magnezone, who will lure in Fire attacks. Switching to Houndoom during the attack will grant you a boost in power, which is awesome. Focus Sash is kind of wasted on Houndoom; it's so frail just about anything will kill it, and it doesn't really have anything to use the Sash for(see Stealth Rock, Entry Hazards, something awesome). Life Orb can work wonders, and you can even use Choice Scarf to offset your speed. Dark Pulse, Overheat, Crunch, and Nasty Plot are also good choices to use in terms of moves. Full Special Attack and Speed training on this guy.

Kingdra seems to be running mixed, so let's look at this:

Kingdra@Lum Berry/Life Orb
Lonely
Swift Swim
252 Atk, 112 SpA, 144 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall/Hydro Pump
-Outrage
-Hidden Power-Fire

I can personally vouch for this set: it's effective. Lum Berry guarantees a Dragon Dance, but Life Orb gives added power. Out of Waterfall and Hydro Pump, it really is "take your pick", but Hydro Pump can help with Physical walls who come in expecting a purely physical set(and come on, you're using Dragon Dance, so they'll really think it). HP Fire also does that, picking off Scizor who come in, and it also stops the new threat of Ferrothorn(who wasn't there in Gen IV to ruin my fun) who can wall you.

Speaking of Scizor, switch X-scissor with Bug Bite and you're all set(Bug Bite gets a Technician boost). Full Attack and Speed training, and you should be good to go.

Magnezone seems pretty solid as well, and Hidden Power can go either Fire or Ice, depending on what you want to deal with.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
pokemaniacsquirtle said:
how about instead of houndoom a snorlax level 100 and a moveset of giga impact, hyper beam, body slam, and a punch move and holding leftovers ~:D~ ~:D~ ~:D~ ~:D~ ~:D~ ~:D~ ~:D~ ~:D~

You receive a warning for giving bad advice and for spamming smileys. Now take my advice: never help anyone ever again on this subject. Ever.

Riley, stop derailing the topic by correcting him.

In fact, I'm deleting both your posts to prevent excessive clutter.

What Sho has said is pretty much correct except for the Kingdra: HP Fire on a Swift Swimmer is idiotic when almost all Scizor these days run almost full HP/Sp.Def, and both it and Ferrothorn tend to be accompanied by Politoed anyway. Besides, you already have Houndoom and Hydreigon for Fire-type moves, so Kingdra really doesn't need it.

Also, just noticed:

Shocari said:
Hydreigon seems for the most part, but here's just a few extra tips: Dark Pulse, Focus Blast, and Flamethrower are excellent move options(Flamethrower mostly for if you don't like Fire Blast's accuracy). It can also run Expert Belt to trick opponents into thinking you have a Choice Specs/Scarf, which can be their undoing. Life Orb is also nice. For EVs, essentially 252 in SpA and Speed, but you can shift some Speed EVs to HP for added cushioning.

Do NOT under any circumstance remove Speed EVs for this purpose. Doing that prevents you from being able to speed-tie other Hydreigon and can put your speed below that of Haxorus as well, which is suicide in both cases.

Shocari said:
If you don't mind, could you post the EVs for your Pokemon? Also, we don't really need to know the stats of them, either. Right now, I'm not sure if they're EV trained or not, and I don't want to go through the hassle of comparing your stats to EV'd stats

I have them EV trained. I don't necessarily remember the amount given to the stats so that is why I just posted the stats. (Sorry) Bust most of them were 252 EVs in two stats and the other 4 in another stat. (252 Atk EVs, 252 Speed EVs, 4 HP EVs, etc...) I never wrote my EV information on each one, I wish there was a way to check them.
EDIT: Oh and my Scizor is full attack and speed trained. I remember that. But I cannot get Bug Bite on Black. I was trying to get that move and its bugging me so I just went with X-Scissor which I guess is decent lol.

Anyway I do appreciate y'all helping out I haven't had time to really study the competitive side too much. I'm going to continue on working on this team. I actually won some games today without them being close calls, so it's definitely improving.