• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

My Pokémon Artwork (pikachu Dreams) Rate Please :)

Hi everyone, I'm a pokemon and a designer. I'm here to make friends on the forum and present my pokemon drawings. Please rate me so I can improve. I put my drawings in speed art video format because I can not upload images to the forum. I hope you like it.

I'm no expert in art or giving good constructive criticism, but I'll try my best to critique...

To begin, I feel that the video quality really affects how the art is seen -- the lighting isn't the best, and I find it sort of difficult to be able to see the lines and colouring very clearly. I'm not going to go very in-depth about the videos, though, as I have basically no experience in that field.

As for the art itself, I have to say that it doesn't really feel finished. In both of the examples, particularly the second one, there seems to be a lot of remaining white space. I would suggest adding a lot more shading, and slowly building it up layer by layer until you have more of a gradient shade from the darker shadows into the lighter areas.

The outlines could also be a lot darker as they are pretty hard to see, although as I previously mentioned, it's also partially due to the lighting of the video. There doesn't seem to be anything too wrong with the anatomy -- mostly, I would say to work on the colouring, shading and outlining, as the jump between dark and light feels very sudden with little grey areas in between.

I would recommend using a bright lamp and something simple such as an orange or apple to practice shading: try adjusting the placement so that the light shines at different angles, and observe the shadows. Try replicating it through sketches as closely as you can to what you see right in front of you. Once you feel comfortable with it, you can also use more complex objects. With time, you'll be able to apply this to everything you draw, even without a reference.

...And that's basically what I have to say. Please don't take this too harshly; I don't think your art is bad in the slightest. Everyone can improve, no matter what level they're at. I wish you the best with your drawing!