• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Musicians and Magicians

What's up gamers, it's your girl back (jk, this is my first rp post) for another rp.

If you couldn't tell by the title, this rp is gonna be your standard fantasy world, but with a twist. Magic is used through music. I'll get into the nitty gritty details in a bit don't worry.

Before we jump into the magic system, I just wanna do some housekeeping. First off, you can imagine this world as pretty similar to a standard dungeons and dragons campaign. Elves, Orcs, Dwarves, all that JAZZ (god I'm funny). Swords, bows, axes, etc are in fashion when it comes to weaponry. Technology wise, you can imagine the world as in the medieval europe, but like magical.

Now, to the good stuff: music. Before we get into this, just a full disclaimer: I am not a musician. I have no idea how to play an instrument, and you don't need to either to participate. Also, if you have ideas to further refine this system, please feel free to give feedback. If I say something that doesn't make sense, please tell me and we'll figure out how to fix it.

First off, some lore and worldbuilding.

The continent this adventure takes place on is called Harmonia (I pulled it from the greek muse of harmony and concord. Harmony is a music term as well as a way to describe an ideal life to some people). Harmonia is made up of several small kingdoms, some peaceful, some not. For each kingdom, a different genre of music reigns supreme. I havemn't even come up with the kingdom names, so when you are applying and state your kingdom, please feel free to be creative (just state if it's peaceful, and what genre they specialize in. Multiple kingdom's can specialize in the same genre.)

Music in this world is a privilege. While natural talent is a thing, it will take years for some hermit to just figure out how to competently play an instrument. As a result, most musicians have some sort of large backing, whether it be a noble family or their own personal wealth. They were taught by someone else who was taught by someone else and so on. Please keep this in mind when creating your character. While it is possible to be of poorer birth and still be a musician, they may have a different style they play in or it may be more rugged. Just keep in mind that this is a rarer occurence than a noble knowing it.

Groups of musicians can combine their playing to cast more powerful spells by forming into bands. Wandering bands are a thing, as well as bands as part of a kingdom's royal army. If you guys are applying and want to form bands together, feel free to. Just ask the other person first! Bands tend to have a wide array of different instruments to attempt to cover eachother's weaknesses.

I hope I didn't miss anything. If someone has any questions or notices a hole in the lore I've stated so far, please let me know. I am open to criticism on this world and I want it to be well rounded and fun for everyone.

Now, I've mentioned different genres and instruments several times. You may be wondering: what's the difference? Well, let's get into that, shall we?

GENRES:

As stated earlier, different kingdoms focus on different genres of music. But what does that mean?

For example, say the Kingdom of Miller focuses on Jazz. Jazz as a genre is very free flowing, erratic, and unique. No two jazz performances are the same. Jazz musicians are constantly soloing, adding their own spin, improvising. This carries over into magic. The large scale spells from a big band are erratic. Unpredictable. They are typically fast paced and wild. Jazz, in this world, can be both harmful and beneficial to the caster.

I've only given the example of jazz, since it's my favorite musical genre and the one I am most well versed in. However, you are free to use any you choose. Just give an explanation on the genre's differences, keeping in mind what instruments are used and the overall feeling it gives off.

Now, the fun part. Instruments. Different instruments are attributed to different elements of magic.

First off, the woodwinds. Who would've guessed, these bad boys focus on wind magic. A spell cast by a solo sax player might augment someone's movement speed, produce a sharp wind blade, or at high levels, even allow flight. Wind magic is the most offensive. (just imagine someone flying above you while playing a sick clarinet solo and cutting down enemies with wind blades. What a majestic view.)

Next up, percussion. Drums, symbols, and even the triangle go in here. Anything that you give a smacking to to play pretty much. Percussion, due to the rough nature of it, channels earth magic. Earth magic is the most versatile, just like a drum beat. Almost any genre has some form of percussion, so it shows here. Earth magic can be offensive, defensive, and even supportive. A bongo player might shoot out a wide array of earth spikes, or create a bridge to cross a gap out of the dirt. At high levels, earth magicians can even create earth golems to fight for them.

Now, the strings. Strings are very similar to say, a light magic. They heal and support. Instruments in string include the guitar, violin, and harp. A player of strings is most comparable to a cleric from a dungeons and dragons campaign. They tend to hang back and support from the sidelines.

Lastly, we have the Brass instruments. Brass focuses on defense. The element of magic: metal. A sax player might use their magic to conjure armor around their bandmates or even conjure a sword to defend themselves.

Those are the four major families of instruments. Bands mix and match a wide array of these in order to produce large scale attacks and other utlities. Now, you may notice a lack of certain elements that are typical in a world of magic. Do not fear, they exist! They just exist as a subclass. While most woodwind players focus on wind magic, some might decide to focus on a variation of it. I've listed all the sub elements here. Keep in mind that sub element players are rarer than main ones.

Elements
Woodwinds
- Wind
- Fire
- Lightning

Percussion
- Earth
- Plant

Strings
- Light/Healing
- Water

Brass
- Metal

Alright, I think that's enough lore. Sorry, it is ALOT and it might be too much tbh, but Idk. Let's get into character creation!

Here's the template!

NAME: (duh, your character's name)
AGE: (another self explanatory one. Keep in mind a kind age 11 will not be a master in music compared to someone that's studied it all their life)
RACE: (elven, dwarvish, human, etc. pretty much any fantasy race)
APPEARANCE: (what do they look like, what do they typically wear, etc)
KINGDOM: (the fun one. What kindgom does your character come from? You can create a new one, or ask another player if you may be part of theirs. Just because your character comes from a kingdom, doesn't mean they have to be a noble or royal. They can be a commoner. Please give a short description of the kingdom if it is original. What genre does it focus on? Are they peaceful or at war? Quality of life? etc. go wild, please be creative)
BACKGROUND: (is your character noble? royal? a peasant? What do they do for a living? How have they reached the point they are at now? etc)
ARE THEY A MUSICIAN: (just cuz I have this crazy magic system, doesn't mean every character has to be part of it. Remember, the art of music is difficult to learn, and maybe your character just doesn't know how to. Include how your character knows music, if they do, in the background section please)
INSTRUMENT: (what instrument do they play, if any?)
ELEMENT: (are they using a sub element? if i didn't list an element you like, ask me about it and we'll make something work)
OTHER: (something I'm forgetting? something you think I should know about your character? any other questions? put it here)

Alright, I think that's all. Feel free to ask ANY questions you may have. I can't wait to get started!

I'm sad that String instruments are supporting magic, but I think I can make that work anyway :D
...I don't usually play support.

Do you have an idea in mind for the central plot of the RP? The world is definitely established enough to get started but we still need somewhat of a focus.

I'm sad that String instruments are supporting magic, but I think I can make that work anyway :D
...I don't usually play support.

Do you have an idea in mind for the central plot of the RP? The world is definitely established enough to get started but we still need somewhat of a focus.

Oh my god I forgot to add the plot part lmao. Thank you for pointing that out, I wrote it out but just didn’t copy and paste it lmao. Here it is:

Every fifty years, an old, mysterious music box winds itself up and weaves a beautiful song. The box is located in the center of the continent and is seemingly indestructible and immovable. Once this song begins, thousands gather around it as at the end of the song, a portal to a secret realm opens. The realm is called by many as the Kyser secret realm, and contains countless treasures. Sheet music containing powerful songs, precious artifacts, the inheritance of geniuses long passed, and enchanted instruments are ripe for the taking. Thousands enter the realm at the hope of obtaining some peerless treasure, though few succeed. You see, these treasures are hidden behind dangerous trials set up by those who left them. Kingdoms also use this realm as a chance to fight ruthlessly. There are no rules in the realm. Full out wars can start over treasures, and many are killed by other, greedy combatants. Do you dare try your luck?

The plot of our rp begins after the box has begun its song. One week remains until the opening of the Kyser secret realm. Our plot will focus on our heroes’ endeavors in the realm. Whether you enter for personal gain, to stop others from gaining, or to benefit your kingdom is up to you.

Oh my god I forgot to add the plot part lmao. Thank you for pointing that out, I wrote it out but just didn’t copy and paste it lmao. Here it is:

Every fifty years, an old, mysterious music box winds itself up and weaves a beautiful song. The box is located in the center of the continent and is seemingly indestructible and immovable. Once this song begins, thousands gather around it as at the end of the song, a portal to a secret realm opens. The realm is called by many as the Kyser secret realm, and contains countless treasures. Sheet music containing powerful songs, precious artifacts, the inheritance of geniuses long passed, and enchanted instruments are ripe for the taking. Thousands enter the realm at the hope of obtaining some peerless treasure, though few succeed. You see, these treasures are hidden behind dangerous trials set up by those who left them. Kingdoms also use this realm as a chance to fight ruthlessly. There are no rules in the realm. Full out wars can start over treasures, and many are killed by other, greedy combatants. Do you dare try your luck?

The plot of our rp begins after the box has begun its song. One week remains until the opening of the Kyser secret realm. Our plot will focus on our heroes’ endeavors in the realm. Whether you enter for personal gain, to stop others from gaining, or to benefit your kingdom is up to you.
Do you...by any chance...maybe on the slightest off-chance...read Wuxia or Xianxia novels?

i did way back in the day, but it's been a solid five years. Only one I read that stuck in my memory the most was Coiling Dragon though, highly recommend it. How'd you know? ;P

i did way back in the day, but it's been a solid five years. Only one I read that stuck in my memory the most was Coiling Dragon though, highly recommend it. How'd you know? ;P
XD

I realized the minute I read the plot, it came off as a Xianxia reference to me and I love it!

A Mystic Realm containing powerful skills, magical treasures, and genius inheritances opens every X number of years and all the nations and sects on the continent gather to send the best of their disciples to participate.

I've read that plot at least 101 times lol. I've actually read Coiling Dragon way back in the day as well. It's been sooo long since I've met anybody who's read Xianxia. Funnily enough, there was a Coiling Dragon RP about 3 years ago, but it never really got off the ground. Xianxia is a bit of a niche interest at the moment.

Now I want to make a xianxia character lel.

I like what you have so far in terms of this RP, I may have an idea for a char, but I should ask what types of music can we expect within this RP? I know this is set in medieval times and that Jazz is one known type, but what others can we expect, like rock, pop, etc.?

Helios.

Previously RisingGarchomps
First of all, this is a very unique RP idea. I like how it takes elements from the bard class from Dungeons and Dragons.

Second off, since Jazz is a genre invented much later after the medieval period in real life, can we expect more modern genres?

I think that the element of lightning and electricity should be represented for the strings category. Strings can be very different depending on what you're playing. I know this is medieval and so electric guitars probably wouldn't exist but what if I were to use lightning magic on a strings instrument, presumably the most common would be something like a Lute? Lutes were more common back in the medieval period for bards.

~Rinko~

Previously PrincessPika~chan
Okay... I'm almost certainly gonna make a character for this, once I can actually get to writing stuff~ The character'll definitely gonna be a pianist in a Rock-genre kingdom, because personal preferences (I so wanna learn the piano...)
Can I play someone so skillfully bad at violin that their supposedly light/healing magic goes upside down and becomes dark/curse? Probably someone tone-deaf.
Honestly that would be so awesome to see happen~

First of all, this is a very unique RP idea. I like how it takes elements from the bard class from Dungeons and Dragons.

Second off, since Jazz is a genre invented much later after the medieval period in real life, can we expect more modern genres?

I think that the element of lightning and electricity should be represented for the strings category. Strings can be very different depending on what you're playing. I know this is medieval and so electric guitars probably wouldn't exist but what if I were to use lightning magic on a strings instrument, presumably the most common would be something like a Lute? Lutes were more common back in the medieval period for bards.

To your question on modern genres, go wild. Just cuz instruments and genres weren't invented in medieval period, doesn't mean they aren't in this world! If you wanna play an electric guitar, go wild!

On moving lightning to strings, yea, I think that makes a bit more sense. Go ahead! Can't wait to see what you come up with :)

Can I play someone so skillfully bad at violin that their supposedly light/healing magic goes upside down and becomes dark/curse? Probably someone tone-deaf.

I LOVE that idea! Go right ahead.

I like what you have so far in terms of this RP, I may have an idea for a char, but I should ask what types of music can we expect within this RP? I know this is set in medieval times and that Jazz is one known type, but what others can we expect, like rock, pop, etc.?

Any genre your heart desires can pop up. I gave jazz as an example just cuz it's my personal favorite, but don't worry about time period constraints! If you like rock or rap or whatever, go ahead and use it. I ain't stopping you.

I want to kill Satan with carameldansen orchestra.

NAME: Emile Theresia
RACE: human
APPEARANCE: 5'7, long black hair and black eyes. Emile wears a white trimmed black robe and she usually used the hood to covers her head. There's always a strap of bandage circled her head. She carries a briefcase for her violin.
KINGDOM: Cannes, it's a small kingdom built on a peninsula. It lacks natural resource but it's stategic location made it a trading center for culture and economy. Several centuries ago the kings launched a project to make his kingdom highly desirable for tourism by making catchy festivals, polishing their landscape and many more. Cannes now is called the kingdom of love due to it's peaceful and beautiful nature. Orchestra is highly regarded here.
BACKGROUND:
Saint Emile was what she's known for. The daughter of a famous maestro becames the composer of dozens of masterpieces herself. Nobles love her and musicians envied her. Her fame knows no boundary and there's even times when people across the continent would go on a long vacation just to attend one of her concert...

The keyword is WAS.

Because of an undisclosed accident her head was heavily wounded. She thought, everyone thought, after her recovery the saint would be back on her full glory to bless the land but alas, she seems to lost her ability to recognize tones. Her performances were awful, the heavenly magic she's known for was replaced by a surfocating miasma and she was kicked out of the elite circle. Bitter but still determined, the former saint is still rigorously practicing and seeking other way to regain what she had lost.
ARE THEY A MUSICIAN: yes
INSTRUMENT: violin.
ELEMENT: dark/curse
OTHER:

NAME: Percy Harold Redmist
RACE: Human (Although his grandmother is an elf)
APPEARANCE: Percy stands at 5'11" with Fair skin, sky Blue eyes and smooth dark Brown hair long enough to go down past his chin. His attire consists of a blood Red shirt under a sleeveless Black vest, smart Black pants and Black loafers, above all this, he wears a Black ankle long coat with a Red interior and a Black fedora.
KINGDOM: Beste; A rather small small town within a large valley surrounded by flowers where festivals are common and the music almost doesn't stop. Many of the townsfolk who live there are very friendly, but whenever danger arises, their music can be used as an effective form of defense. It's common for traders and travelers to pass through and relax within it's popular inn, "The Dancing Swan."
BACKGROUND: Percy was born between a mother who worked at The Dancing Swan and a father who was a seasoned Jazz and Electro Swing musician, his instrument of choice was the trumpet. For most of his life, Percy looked up to his father and enjoyed the songs he played during festivals and pleaded to his father to teach him. Percy spent most of his childhood learning how to play brass instruments all his life and learned that the best way to show your confidence is to always smile, something Percy took to heart. While he grew to be decent is a few brass instruments like the trumpet and trombone, his favorite was the saxophone, when he was 18, he joined his father on stage during a festival and the pair caught the admiration of many of the townsfolk, especially how well he managed to adapt in to other bands to help create entertaining songs. However, when Percy managed to gain the popularity of almost everyone in town, his ambition grew and suddenly gained the dream of spreading his music across the country if not the world--not for the fame and attention, but to bring smiles to everyone's faces. Now Percy travels the world, always looking for a chance to entertain people whether by street performing or joining bands, over time.
ARE THEY A MUSICIAN: Yes.
INSTRUMENT: Saxophone
ELEMENT: Metal (And something else if you're up for talking about one)
OTHER: Despite his past mainly being musician related, he's no stranger to using it for combat.

I want to kill Satan with carameldansen orchestra.

NAME: Emile Theresia
RACE: human
APPEARANCE: 5'7, long black hair and black eyes. Emile wears a white trimmed black robe and she usually used the hood to covers her head. There's always a strap of bandage circled her head. She carries a briefcase for her violin.
KINGDOM: Cannes, it's a small kingdom built on a peninsula. It lacks natural resource but it's stategic location made it a trading center for culture and economy. Several centuries ago the kings launched a project to make his kingdom highly desirable for tourism by making catchy festivals, polishing their landscape and many more. Cannes now is called the kingdom of love due to it's peaceful and beautiful nature. Orchestra is highly regarded here.
BACKGROUND:
Saint Emile was what she's known for. The daughter of a famous maestro becames the composer of dozens of masterpieces herself. Nobles love her and musicians envied her. Her fame knows no boundary and there's even times when people across the continent would go on a long vacation just to attend one of her concert...

The keyword is WAS.

Because of an undisclosed accident her head was heavily wounded. She thought, everyone thought, after her recovery the saint would be back on her full glory to bless the land but alas, she seems to lost her ability to recognize tones. Her performances were awful, the heavenly magic she's known for was replaced by a surfocating miasma and she was kicked out of the elite circle. Bitter but still determined, the former saint is still rigorously practicing and seeking other way to regain what she had lost.
ARE THEY A MUSICIAN: yes
INSTRUMENT: violin.
ELEMENT: dark/curse
OTHER:

I love it! Accepted.

NAME: Percy Harold Redmist
RACE: Human (Although his grandmother is an elf)
APPEARANCE: Percy stands at 5'11" with Fair skin, sky Blue eyes and smooth dark Brown hair long enough to go down past his chin. His attire consists of a blood Red shirt under a sleeveless Black vest, smart Black pants and Black loafers, above all this, he wears a Black ankle long coat with a Red interior and a Black fedora.
KINGDOM: Beste; A rather small small town within a large valley surrounded by flowers where festivals are common and the music almost doesn't stop. Many of the townsfolk who live there are very friendly, but whenever danger arises, their music can be used as an effective form of defense. It's common for traders and travelers to pass through and relax within it's popular inn, "The Dancing Swan."
BACKGROUND: Percy was born between a mother who worked at The Dancing Swan and a father who was a seasoned Jazz and Electro Swing musician, his instrument of choice was the trumpet. For most of his life, Percy looked up to his father and enjoyed the songs he played during festivals and pleaded to his father to teach him. Percy spent most of his childhood learning how to play brass instruments all his life and learned that the best way to show your confidence is to always smile, something Percy took to heart. While he grew to be decent is a few brass instruments like the trumpet and trombone, his favorite was the saxophone, when he was 18, he joined his father on stage during a festival and the pair caught the admiration of many of the townsfolk, especially how well he managed to adapt in to other bands to help create entertaining songs. However, when Percy managed to gain the popularity of almost everyone in town, his ambition grew and suddenly gained the dream of spreading his music across the country if not the world--not for the fame and attention, but to bring smiles to everyone's faces. Now Percy travels the world, always looking for a chance to entertain people whether by street performing or joining bands, over time.
ARE THEY A MUSICIAN: Yes.
INSTRUMENT: Saxophone
ELEMENT: Metal (And something else if you're up for talking about one)
OTHER: Despite his past mainly being musician related, he's no stranger to using it for combat.

Also fantastic. I am up to hearing about this other element you're interested in! Accepted.

I mean, I can't really think of a second element, I can't think of what else might be used as an element which why I mentioned talking to you about one, other ideas that I can think of are only related to the other elements. For example, Ice is basically frozen Water.

Hope you don't mind if I join

NAME: Isabelle Heikin
RACE: Half-demon (Her mother being a demon and her father being a human)
APPEARANCE: Isabelle is 5'3 with tanned skin, misty grey eyes and wheat blonde hair with red tips. Most of her hair is tied up in a ponytail, but the hair that isn't forms two locks of hair that reach her chest. She has a singular horn on her head, and sharp teeth. She wears a black tank top with red shorts and a green hoodie wrapped around her waist. She dresses like this so she can move freely.
KINGDOM: Raruke - A very small village built on a mountain, with a large castle on flat land at the top. The village is sparcely populated, due to most houses being burnt down in wars. Despite this, everyone that lives there is great at combat, so a lot of villages near it know not to attack it.
BACKGROUND: Isabelle is part of the royal family of Raruke, and is known to the village as 'The Peace Princess'. This is because she helped out greatly in two wars and eventually was feared by several other countries. She spent all of her childhood learning how to play various percussion instruments, while also learning karate. It helped that she was quite skilled at both of these already, making her quite talented once she learnt the basics. She liked using cymbals, tambourines and even bells because they are so straightforward, but she was good at playing a snare drum that she could hold in one arm. She didn't have any friends growing up so she became quite rude, and often thought that fighting was the best way to solve any issues she had. Luckily whenever she played in concerts she was liked quite a lot, so her short temper hardly ever got in the way of her music. She is interested in joining some sort of band, though she wouldn't go out to look for one.
ARE THEY A MUSICIAN: Yes
INSTRUMENT: Snare drum
ELEMENT: Earth and some form of psychic-related things. (I want it to be so that if she plays loud enough, then waves of energy/vibrations start to hurt other people's brains if that's okay)
OTHER: She doesn't play it, but she likes jazz

As a viola player I will now offer this character, maybe he can hang with Emile idk!

NAME: Piers
AGE: 200-ish (40-ish in human years, based on a quick google search)
RACE: Aquatic elf
APPEARANCE: Light blue skin with long, pinned-back black hair and amber eyes (like the color of fish eyes). Pointed ears as typical of most elven races, along with dark-inked tattoos covering most of his back for camouflage, as part of his culture since it helps with hunting underwater (similar to how dolphins have dark backs with light bellies). Made of lean muscle from swimming, and has gills on his neck. While his fingers and toes are webbed, the webs on his left hand have been cut in order to better play. His usual outfit consists of light armor around the chest and shoulders, over a simple breathable off-white tunic and long brown trousers.
KINGDOM: Comes from an isolated northern kingdom called Bunda (another name for the star Xi Aquarii). Mostly inhabited by aquatic elves, they specialize in strings for the most part. For most of their history they have been neutral, isolating themselves from other countries by way of physical barriers such as the intimidating Northern Mountain range and the icy Bundarian sea. However, because of this neutrality and isolation they are not very well off in terms of trade with other kingdoms, so they survive without many luxuries.
BACKGROUND: In terms of elves, Piers is pretty much a commoner. He has no close ties to any of the leaders and was not born into any particular wealth. However, unlike many of his brethren, he houses a unique hunger for knowledge and has traveled more than any other in his village. Because of this he's regarded as knowledgeable in many tongues, and is appointed an ambassador of their kingdom. He is entering the Kyser realm to search for new secrets, as well as to try to quell any potential war-starting fights.
As for music, he was never as flashy as the others who would specialize in light magic, as well as water (obviously). Harpists were common, violinists less so (since it would require one to cut the webbing on their hands). Seeking something a bit more suited to his style, Piers asked one of the elders for advice, and under their tutelage started to learn the viola. Learning the subtle nuances of how to provide support properly gave him insight into how to utilize his magic (see below).
ARE THEY A MUSICIAN: Yep, but definitely more of a supporting type (not a soloist for sure)
INSTRUMENT: Viola :)
ELEMENT: He is versed in healing, but I'd like to have him use light magic in an "illusion" sense, like being able to create distractions using holograms or something to that effect.

Hope this is good!

NAME: Tyler Drummard
RACE: Human
APPEARANCE: He wears an obviously resewn jacket topped by a red scarf, this sandal-wearing messy redhair wears baggy white pants.
KINGDOM: The kingdom of salar, they are currently at peace, this kingdom is mostly known for helping other kingdom with their defenses, lending their soldiers in wars, they don't care who it is they're helping most of the time, as that is what brings this kingdom's money. it is a very rich kingdom, as such the quality of the life is great for almost everyone, money never comes short.
BACKGROUND: He is a commoner, a commoner where he comes from is not that short in money, over there it means they're not a royal. he has been practicing his drumming skills since he was 4, being introduced to music very quickly in life.
ARE THEY A MUSICIAN: Yes
INSTRUMENT: Drums
ELEMENT: earth
OTHER: He has enough money to stay in an inn (for about a group of 10 people) for a month