• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Musical's Many Sprites of Awesomeness (Taking Requests)

I've been spriting for a while now, and i have a sprite shop on GTSplus. I was wondering what you guys think of a few of the sprites I have made.

Examples:

Recolors:
shadowmagnetonnobg.gif

(Magneton with a custom chadow pallet that I made)
arcanineanddialganobg.gif

(Arcanine with Dialga colors)

Infernos:
fieryroseradenobg.gif

fieryhoohnobg.gif

Splices:
onixgiratinasplicenobg.gif

(onix and giratina)
ninetaleshoohsplicenobg.gif

(Shiny Ninetales and Ho-oh)

Trainer Sprites:
trainersprite-celebinobg.gif

trainersprite-houndoomnobg.gif

Egg Sprites:
shadowrayquazaeggnobg.gif

(custom shadow rayquaza egg)
shinyraltseggnobg.gif

(shiny Ralts)

Revamps:
hoppiprevampgoldnobg.gif

As the title says, I am taking requests, but only four at a time.

Waiting List:

Forms:

Recolors:
Pokemon (Base):
Pokemon (new colors):

Infernos:
Pokemon:

Egg Sprite:
Pokemon:
Shiny:
Specifics:

Trainer Sprite:
Pokemon:
Trainer (d/p/pt sprites only available.):
Shown w/ or w/out Pokemon:
Specifics:

Splices:
Pokemon (Base):
Pokemon (second):
Specifics:

Revamps:
Pokemon:
Shiny:
Game (all 1st and 2nd gen sprites available.):

REQUEST AND CRIT AWAY.

Kecleons go Moo! (and/or rawr.)

Wow! Those Infernos are EPIC! Can you do a recolour of...

Pokemon (Base): Charizard
Pokemon (new colors):Torterra

Thanks in advance!

I've always hated Giratina, but it looks great with Onix...

Pokemon (Base): Jirachi
Pokemon (new colors): Celebi

I've tried that combo, but it didn't work too well... but I was a beginner back then.

Kecleons go moo! :D

@Toad Dude - Thanks! I recently learned how to make them, too. Your request was accepted.

@Virachan - Your request is also accepted.

@Buneary-Boy - Denied. Read the rules. First X.

Ok, again I will try to do some C+C for some folks, but I don't know how many I'll be able to get to. I figured to start with you though since you're at the top of the list.

Before I get into actual critique, I do want to mention I think you are awesome for doing eggs the way you do. Far too many people just throw on parts and pieces of the Pokemon they attend to be in the egg. I don't like that style, because wings and tails sticking out of eggs I personally find stupid. I love how you do it like the anime, the egg just has designs on it, versus features sticking out. Kudos for that =D

First the recolor. In general, it's perfectly fine. I like the color combination and all that jazz, but being just a recolor nothing too fancy too. I don't know if this was intentional, but they did seem to loose their metallic appearance with that purple color. If you had attempted to make them still metallic like, I'd suggest more contrast, and get some lighter colored highlights in your shades.

[quote author=musical link=topic=6987.msg124421#msg124421 date=1259023904]
fieryhoohnobg.gif
[/quote]

The inferno is pretty OK, but again nothing particularly great about it.If I had to make a suggestion, although this suggestion might be more of a bias personal opinion more than anything, I think you should eliminate a few detail lines when doing infernos. It's hard to exactly explain what I mean, but like between the individual feathers, I think some of the separating lines should be removed, since if you were actually looking at Ho-Oh through infrared goggles or something, you wouldn't be able to see that many finite details. Here's an example of what I mean, assuming you don't mind that I made a few edits to it:

InfernoExample.png

Not my best work, but I'm pretty sure it gets my point across. I left a chunk of the left side as how you did it, and I changed most of the right side. As you can see I got rid of some of the details lines, as I don't believe if made of fire or seen in infrared they could be made out. Again though this might just be all preference or me just grasping at straws trying to find something to suggest, but it is something to consider.

ninetaleshoohsplicenobg.gif
onixgiratinasplicenobg.gif
[/quote]

As for the splices, I find the Ninetails one to be plain. Far too many splices exist that are mere attachments of Ho-Oh's wings. Their angle also rarely seems to work well on some things, especially quadrupedal animals like Ninetails. Overall it seems bland. Perhaps some detail work and more parts from Ho-Oh could spice it up some. Head feathers could be attached, or the current fur on Ninetail's head could be changed colors or styled like Ho-Oh's. The Onix one is better with originality factor. The spikes on the sides of the rocks don't really seem to match or flow right. I personally don't know what I'd do with them though. Perhaps a better placement could be done, such as a little higher up on the boulder segments.

trainersprite-celebinobg.gif
[/quote]

The Celebi trainer sprite I find to be well done. Something worked out really well with what you did with it. Colors flow well, and you had a good idea on some placements. If I had to actually comment on much, it would be that you should have used the darker shades of green for her shoes, such as Celebi has darker green feet than its body. Also that little spike thing on Celebi's head could have been added to the hat perhaps, although some editing would probably need to be done as I'm looking at it, and it might be a bit too big if just taken straight from Celebi. Just a few things though that would make it a more deeper mix.

Ok so that's all I'll cover. I hope I have of been some help. You have a nice mix of stuff. I think you should try maybe breaking into a few more advanced things with spriting. Recolors and simple trainer sprites are fun I'll admit, but maybe a bit more with splice work and stuff would be in order, or even one day doing some scratching and custom stuff. If you decide not to, that's fine, you seem to be doing pretty good with the stuff you're doing now.

@buneary-Boy: I'll be getting to that revamp soon. And don't forget to say the password. i don't want to ban you.

@Jappio: Thanks for the crit! I was intending Magneton to not be metallic anymore. I'm not even sure how to do that, so...yea. I'll try out the less details thing for the infernos. The explanation makes sense. Scratch spriting is still hard for me, so i tend to stay away from it. the very little scratch spriting i do is usually minor edits to splices and new shading to revamps. i'll try to get to other scratch sprites later on, though. i still need more practice.

I would be really grateful if you could recolor volkner with a purple and black color scheme for me.

EDIT: Oh, and kecleons go moo. It was hard for me to say this because I don't think they actually do. the mooing is an old wives tale.

You are obviously a very skilled spriter. I'll make sure to take notes. ;)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Apparently you didn't read the part in the main rules where it says "no mini-modding," never mind that your post sounds so patronizing it warrants a crushing Thunder Stomp straight into the bowels of hell.

Ironic really, because this means you're the one getting the warning.

Wow! That Charizard Recolour is AMAZING! ...and sorry for not saying that when you posted it, I'm pretty forgetful :p.