• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Moves that can hit you while you're off-screen...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Firstly, apologies for the terrible title. I couldn't think of a way to express what I'm trying to ask about in one short sentence.

There are some Pokemon attacks - like Dig, Fly and Dive - where you go "elsewhere" for one turn (into the air, ground or water). This is a useful battle technique to use if you have a weak Pokemon, because 99% of attacks can't hit them during the turn when they're off-screen.

I discovered the other day that it's possible for a pkmn using Fly to be hit while in the air - by Gust (well, it is logical, even if I don't like it!). I already know from reading some faq or other that if your pkmn uses Dig and the opponent uses Earthquake while you're in the ground, it does double damage. So I was wondering which other moves are able to do damage to a Flying, Digging or Diving pokemon? (and any other two-turn moves where you go off-screen for one move)?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Off hand I can say that Sky-Uppercut also hits a Pokemon that has used Fly. While it doubles the damage or not I have yet to discover.

Thunder can hit while the opponent is Flying, and is 100% accurate, if I'm not mistaken. Whirlwind will also hit a Flying enemy. Magnitude and EQ (as already said) will strike a Digging oppnent, and maybe a Diving foe (I'm not certain).

On a technicality you could say lock-on makes all moves hit offscreen foes, It works for dig but I'm not sure about dive/fly.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
... I thought I'd edit this into some sort of coherence :).

I must admit, it's still not exactly comprehensive. When I have Copious Free Time (*cough*), I?ll play some battles against myself to find out answers to the rest of the questions. Hmm, there is Christmas coming up... (like I get a holiday).

Moves that take you off-screen for one turn:

Dig (Ground)
While underground you can be hit by Earthquake and Magnitude. The power of those attacks doubles. Also, if the enemy uses Lock-On or Mind Reader in the same turn that you use Dig, you will be hit by their next move even if you are still underground.

Dive (Water)
While underwater you can be hit by Surf. The power is unchanged. If the enemy uses Lock-On or Mind Reader in the same turn that you use Dive, you will be hit by the next move even if you are still underwater.
(How about Magnitude, Earthquake & electric attacks?)

Fly (Flying)
While in the air you can be hit by Gust or Twister, and the power of those moves is doubled. You can also be hit by Thunder, which goes up to 100% accuracy, and Sky Uppercut.
Unsurprisingly, you are probably immune to Magnitude and Earthquake :).

Bounce (Flying)
Dunno much about it. Does it basically work the same way as Fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.