• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Looking for Dragonite moveset

My Dragonite right now has:
1.Flamethrower
2.Thunderbolt
3.Dragon Pulse
4.Aqua Tail

I have the weaknesses covered, but if there is any changes that could make him better, I would greatly appreciate your advice!

Since Dragonite doesnt have an amazing amount of Sp. Atk I would suggest running a Choice Specs set so replace the Aqua Tail with Draco Meteor. Yes thats 2 dragon moves but Draco is for major dents then switching (or 1HKOs). If you really want recovery run it with Leftovers and Roost instead of Aqua tail.

PS: Why am I seeing Aqua Tail on everydragonite set these days? wierd...

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Here's 3 Dragonites for you:

Physical Sweeper

Dragonite @ Salac Berry/Persim Berry

- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- ThunderPunch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Dragon Dance to boost Draggy's awesome Attack and more importantly, his somewhat lacking Speed. Dragon Claw/Outrage for STAB, Earthquake and ThunderPunch provide very good type coverage. Salac Berry is your item if you choose Dragon Claw as your STAB attack, and Persim Berry for Outrage to avoid the confuse effect.

Special Sweeper

Dragonite @ Choice Specs

- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse

Essentially a complete rip-off of the Salamence moveset. One Draco Meteor will do HUGE damage, and two will pretty much gurantee an KO even after the Sp.Atk drop from the first one. Flamethrower is to take out Steel-types, the only type to resist Dragon-type moves, and Surf is for Heatran, the only Pokemon who resists both Fire and Dragon-type moves. Dragon Pulse to mop up any already damaged Pokemon after Draco Meteor has run out of PP.

Or, there's this:

Dragonite @ Wise Glasses/Life Orb

- Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower/Surf

Simple really - Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor for STAB, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt for coverage, and Flamethrower/Surf for a filler move. May be preferable to the previous Choice Specs moveset which sacrifices extra coverage for pure power. Your choice which one you go for.

P

Pokepok

here is my drgonite moveset(which does wonders)
Dragonite@dragon scale/Choice specs
Surf
Draco Meteor
Dragon Dance
Ice beam/Flamethrower

surf/ice beam/flamethrower:self explanatory
draco meteor:STAB
dragon dance:great boosting powers

Never Dragon Scale. It only boosts Dragon-Type moves. No good. And Dragon Dance ups Speed and Attack. Also no good. Why get an attack boost when you don't need it?

Oh yeah, Draco Meteor lowers your Special Attack Stat by two levels. This will have an effect on the rest of your attacks if they're all special still (Which in your moveset it is).

Oh yes, it may do wonders for you, but your Dragonite would be torn apart in Competitive play.

Oh yeah, Draco Meteor lowers your Special Attack Stat by two levels. This will have an effect on the rest of your attacks if they're all special still (Which in your moveset it is).

Draco meteor is to be used as last move before switching. Since you switch the stat modifiers go away. Ice Beam can also be a consideration depending on the number of grass types your stuck against in your battles. But overall Dragonite's movepool is so wide it would be too long to state all of the intresting attacks.

Oh wait up Aqua tail is physical, if you want an all special movepool you may want to consider Water Pulse for a similar effect.

Give it Choice specs and it should do fine in most competitive matches. Watch out for Blissey!

I did mean for the rest of the time Dragonite stayed out. Not clear enough on that one.

Oh yeah, Consider Focus Punch on the Choice Specs set. Sure you don't get the boost, but hey, doing a number on the biggest Special Wall on a bad switch hurts your opponent badly. And use a Mild or Rash Nature if you plan on using Focus Punch so your Attack Power won't drop.