• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Kickin' It Old School

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
On a whim I've decided to restart my Emerald Version and raise a competitive team for the Hoenn Battle Frontier.

Metagross
@Lum Berry
Nature: Any neutral nature
Evs: 252SA, 252Att, 4HP
Moves: Meteor Mash, Psychic, Aerial Ace, Shadow Ball

Metagross is my mixed sweeper hence the EV spread. The neutral nature comes from the fact that I don't want to sacrifice Speed, or any defense or offense. If that is a bad idea, please suggest a nature that would be least harmful.

Lanturn
@Leftovers
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252SA, 252Spe, 4HP
Moves: Thunderbolt, Surf, Ice Beam, Toxic

I picked Lanturn over Starmie as my Special Sweeper due to fewer weaknesses and because Lanturn has the same moves I need. Toxic is used to weaken any Walls or Tanks that get thrown in my way.

Heracross
@Shell Bell
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252Att, 252Spe, 4HP
Moves: Mega Horn, Brick Break, Earthquake, Rock Slide

Heracross is my Physical Sweeper. Other than that, there is nothing more to say.

These Pokemon were selected because their collective move-pools cover for all 17 types and each member covers another's weakness, both Metagross and Lanturn resisting Heracross's crippling weakness to Flying for example.

Any comments or concerns I should know of before I start training are very much welcome! Especially ones pertaining to Metagross's Nature and/or held item choice.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Ah, Generation III...

- If you want a mixed Metagross, Meteor Mash, Earthquake, ThunderPunch and either Explosion/Psychic is best. I'd actually go for a Sp.Attack boosting nature here to lift his Sp.Attack beyond mediocre, although that unfortunately boxes you into Quiet really, which drops your Speed.

- The only way Lanturn will outperform Starmie in this is if Dusclops and other Ghost-types start showing up in herds. Starmie's vastly superior Speed makes it a far better option here otherwise.

- Shell Bell sucks now and sucked back then too, hell the only reason it was even considered was because there was so few good hold items for sweepers anyway. I'd consider Choice Band on Hera actually, either that or something like Sitrus Berry, Salac Berry or Liechi Berry (if you can get the last two that is.) Jolly instead of Adamant.

The only issue I can see this team having is with Lanturn being outsped and killed. Otherwise, it's alright.