• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Johto University

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Short but to the point. Oh what am I saying? You should have finished the battle! D:<

I'm kidding of course, it was fine. I agree with with Middy about the different atmospheres between the two schools. Sounds like this up coming Tounament will be interesting. Post soon!

XD Harry Potter references.

I love the difference between both schools, and I'm sure no one wants to go to Sinnoh University. But I haz not seen any Sinnoh pokemon used there, intresting. I assume there's a reason for your super short post?

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Makes me glad my character is in Johto :p

You did a great job getting the differences across, even if the chapter was shorter than usual, so in that respect the chapter served its purpose very well. As always I love how you describe the battles and the environment.

Sinnoh has no Sinnoh Pokemon thus far XD

Heh, I sense antagonists! I have a feeling that these Harry Potter-inspired characters shall be featured again soon.

Viktor makes me laugh, for some odd reason, probably because of how he's bullied a bit by Narcissa.

Well, this chappie may have been short, but it has served its purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dwayna DragonFire

2014 Little Cup Champion
You named my cameo Narcissa?! XD
Nevertheless, you captured her quite well. I'm very impressed , keep up the great work.
Yay for Harry Potter references.

what can i say? this was simple,but awesome,easy to read,fun to read too,and is the kind of expiration everyone need,a good history so far,a very good one,i am going to continue to see your jobs,and damn they are good.

It's interesting how different the two universities are. Johto: everyone is happy and nice and stuff. Sinnoh: the people are cold and filled with negative emotions (it seems)

The lake and the air were both rather calm, save for the light breeze that danced through the trees and over the lake. As it spread across the many fields of the campus, it created a calming sound as the flowers and bits of tall grass were blown together by the wind. Some students were calmly sitting under trees, others were doing homework or reading, a few typed away on laptops while chatting with friends; others were making their way to their next classes.

Of course, not everything could be calm, as there was an excited group of students formed a wall to one side of a worn-down battlefield, watching as a wave of fire screamed across the dirt-covered field, and a column of rocks appeared out of the ground. Acting as if it were alive, the pillar moved through the ground, and split the wave of fire in two, both of which missed their target, a Cradily.

"We're not going to let that happen again, right, Vashtar?" Randy jokingly encouraged his Typhlosion. It responded with a short growl.

"Zere is no vay you saw that coming!" called the trainer from across the field, a young man who was dressed for incredibly cold conditions, despite being in the mild climate of Johto; a thick scarf, goggles, and a thick ski jacket, all colored dark blue and grey.

"Well of course I did. It was Protect. And interesting one, but still, that's one of the most basic things that can be done. All you trainers from Sinnoh are the same-"and, for the first time, Dr. Randy Lawson was interrupted.

"And vhat is vat supposed to mean!?" the trainer yelled across the field, and at that instant, the two of them seemed to forget there was a Pokemon battle going on.

"Over confident, arrogant, cocky, ignorant, take your pick, really," Randy Lawson flashed a devilish grin, and waved his arms in overly-large motions to make his point. The gold and silver tattoos spiraling his right and left arm respectively were easily visible in the broad daylight against his olive skin.

"You did not just zey that, vright? Surely, it vas a joke, a vriendly joke, vright?" the Trainer stammered slightly out of a slowly boiling anger.

"Nope!" Randy was beginning to enjoy the other trainer's irritation, and was of course doing everything he could to increase it.

"Ancient Power." The Cradily's trainer was trying to appear calm, but his trembling arms and his face slowly flushing showed that it was obviously not the case. "Full strength."

The Barnacle Pokemon straitened it's neck, bringing it nearly even to the five-foot seven Typhlosion it was staring down. Cradily's eyes began to glow a sharp blue, which almost reached a white color. The glow steadily intensified, slowly possessing the markings on the Barnacle Pokemon's body, and began carving out new markings of light, crawling towards the ground.

"I know you want to do something Vashtar, but this is so much more fun!" He laughed, loudly and clearly at the trainer, mocking him.

"NOW!" the trainer from Sinnoh screamed, his voice echoing through the campus. Cradily's entire body shivered, starting from the top of it's head, down it's neck, and finally it's anchor-body. As it did so, the glowing on it's marking seemingly vanished. It's "legs" dug into the ground, and intricate patterns began to surround the Pokemon, like a crop circle.

When they began to glow with an incredibly harsh light, the ground around Cradily tore open, and rocks began to float in orbit around the Pokemon. As the orbit picked up speed, all the rocks at once flew at the Typhlosion, encased in the same intense blue glow.

"Right then, Vashtar, show them just how hot your flames can get. Fireblast!"
The Volcano Pokemon arched his back, and then quickly stood straight. A giant cone of fire spiraled out of his gaping mouth, shooting upwards into the air towards the rocks. As the flames made contact with the rocks, the intense heat melted them instantly.

"Now then!" Randy laughed, "Do you REALLY want to continue this?" he flashed a mocking grin, watching as the trainer from Sinnoh tried to position his jaw back to its proper place. Two Poke Balls flew out from his quickly extended arm, one returning the Cradily, one releasing an Aerodactyl.

"Vhy, no, I vill not give you that honor ov vacing me in a vattle. Much vess vinishing it. You vill see vin it comes time vor our schools — if you can even call zis place a school — vattle in the tournament!"

As he finished his sentence, he climbed on the Fossil Pokemon's back, and began flying north, presumably aiming to get all the way to Sinnoh on the poor Aerodactyl.
Stubborn.

"Alright, class, what just happened?" Randy asked the slightly awestruck group of students as he called his Typhlosion back into it's Poke Ball.

"You kicked major ass?" One student suggested, though Randy couldn't be sure whether he was joking or not.

With a slightly puzzled look on his face, Randy spoke up, "and who is this?" He laughed, "I'm rather flattered!"

A young man stepped forward, with messy dark hair that was fairly grown out, and a un-shaven face. "I did!" he grinned, which led to a slight mess of giggles and mumbles from the class. He was wearing a white t-shirt, emblazoned with some sort of symbol, and slightly baggy shorts.

"Ahahah!" Randy bellowed a laugh that echoed across the campus, "And what's your name, son?"

"Zacky's what everyone calls me!" he said with a rather large grin.

"I think we'll be seeing a bit of you in this class!" He laughed again, before turning his attention back to the class, "So, does anyone know what happened, other than my already stated ass-whooping?" this was greeted with a fair amount of laughter, mostly from Randy himself.

"You played a mind game." Someone in the back said softly. It was a girl's voice, but Dr. Lawson saw nobody.

"Say that again, louder, please? And if you wouldn't mind stepping forward…." His voice trailed softly as a young lady broke through the small crowd. Her red hair was a complete contrast to the brown, blonde and black that was on the other student's heads, and it was easy to see why she had been heard so softly; nearly a head shorter than everyone.

"You played a mind game," she said, turning to face the group of students, and speaking with a bit more confidence.

"I'm going to go ahead and guess that you're Ferne? Pr. Burry's told me a good deal about you…" Randy's voice trailed a bit, and his mouth curved into a wide grin, "anyway, you're absolutely right! Anyone care to elaborate?"

Ferne fell back into the class, and there was a moment of silence as thoughts were processed.

"Well, yeah, okay." Another student spoke up, "I've got something."

"Come on up to the front here, with me, then, and explain!" Randy laughed.

Another student, probably around the same age as Zacky, stepped forward. She was wearing a white shirt with a colorful design stretching around the top and side, and denim shorts. Her hair was a golden-brown, and reached to a bit past her shoulders. "M'name's Dani." She said quickly, approaching Randy.

"Well howdy!" he said, loud as ever, "whachu got for us?" he said with a gleam in his eyes.

"Well like Ferne said," she began, her thoughts beginning to click, "you for sure played a mind game. And stuff like intimidation and confusing, or angering, like you did, is just as important in a battle as skill….." she paused for a moment, before exclaiming, "Oh yeah! That's got to be it! That's why you called in the trainer for Sinnoh, right? And I'll bet… no… that… could that be it…?" she paused to think, her head titled slightly, her tongue clicking.

"Oh there's no way!" Ferne's voice came from the small crowd that made up the class. She gave a small laugh at the absurdity of the thought.

"What're you thinking, Ferne?" Randy asked, curiously, though rather confident that she was close on her guess.

For a moment, she said nothing. Thoughts were being formed into words, and she bit her lip the tiniest bit. "There's no way that it's… no…" she said softly, not believing even her own thoughts.

"Aw, Ferne, c'mon! What were you thinking?" Randy was genuinely interested at this point

"Well I mean, you could have like…." She paused for a moment, "completely screwed with that guys mind…..you flattered him to get him over here, didn't you?" she said with a slight smirk.

Randy just laughed, and grinned at the class.

(AGH. Short chapter is SHORT. But, the next chapter, with Dr. O'Hara, is set to be freaking awesome. In the sense of an old man going crazy. If you call that awesome. :)

Also, fans, stalkers, and innocent bystanders, chapters will begin to be even more scarce than they are now, as school begins soon. But I will try to keep on at least a bi-weekly update. That shouldn't be too hard.)

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Hmm, interesting fic. Very Harry Potter-ish :p Your writing's good, better than I remember it from Dotted Hole Ruins. You give a good amount of detail. Your dialogue is a little weird, I can't place it just yet. Either way, keep it up.

You updated already? :D
Oh Codus, I'm so proud of yoooouuuuu, I didn't even have to pester you again :D
I love the Sinnoh accent (although I think it might need a little tweaking, "right" probably doesn't need the 'v' sound in front of it because it involves more tongue-tooth movement than lips-teeth. If anything, the Sinnoh trainers would probably roll their r's :V)
But I loved the battle, and I love Randy's cocky attitude. The Fernus/Middy/Zackus cameos were pretty lulzy too, kudos to you my good mannn

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I love the Russian accent the Sinnohs have. Although I have to agree with Belle that it could use some work, specifically the 'v' abuse.

Like I said before, I can't wait for the tournament and I also what to see the teaching styles of the other professors. I'll be holding you to your bi-weekly promise, so be ready to defend yourself against Evil Space Monkeys if you're ever late. ;)

An interesting chapter as usual, but I have one thing to be picky about: I think you used the word 'calm' a bit too much in the first paragraph and following sentance; yes, you have managed to convery a peaceful atmosphere, almost shattered by a Pokemon battle, but over-using a single adjective can be somewhat unhelpful in regards to how well your story is going to flow.

A writer - not a terribly professional one, I don't believe he had much formal training or talent - is oft spoken of in circles I know because of one singular sentance which read a little like: the tall dark spire peirced the sky like a tall dark spire.

Not very good, is it? Let's try not to fall in a calming calmness of calm and clams XD

Also, your cameos are cute! I didn't now that Ferne was a red-head, I though she was blonde? >.>

As you know I read this yesterday and I thought it was awesome. I liked the battle, especillay Cradily, although that could be because Cradily reminds me of LoN ;P
Is that because of the OMG STRATAGEEY that he (albeit tried) to implement here, or because of the fact that I own a particularly annoying bugger of the same species? :p

Another top class post, Cody. I think all the technical jazz has been said, so I'll just say I loved it and want a lot more :D

Eeeeeeeeeeee~

Zacky's cameo is SO COOL!!! (And cute!) Ferne is cool too, someone who is really awesome in a strategic sense. ^^

Please keep it up Cody? I need to be entertained!

Hi everyone.

I suck :)

Anyway, here's a nice update. I've split this class with Dr. O'Hara in half, for two reasons. One, I finally got my passion for JU back. Two, it could easily be split. And if I kept typing the second half, you'd probably never see it.

For the first few chapters I was writing for the cameos to please people. But now I'm writing to tell a story, which is how it should be. Sorry I kept you all waiting!

Chapter Five (Part One)

There was a light drizzle on the classroom window as the door opened, revealing the ghostly figure of Dr. O'Hara. His gray eyes were calm and tired. As he walked across the room from the door to his worn, oaken desk, the Professors steps were the only sound other than the fall of raindrops.
"Illor." He spoke softly, and almost without emotion, as he released an old Poke Ball from inside his old and worn-in jacket.
Out of it materialized a creature with slowly graying brown hair, a stubby tail, and magnificent antlers. Dr. O'Hara gave the Stantler a curt nod, and the Pokemon did the same; however, it truly missed the energy and the enthusiasm Dr. O'Hara used to have.

After a few brief moments reminiscing, Dr. O'Hara returned his gaze to his desk; yet not before a quick glance out the window, which showed the rain was steadily increasing.
He gave a soft sigh as he canned his lesson plan for the day;

"Rocket"
Was the only thing scribbled in for that day, and to all but Dr. O'Hara would probably mean nothing. He cracked his tired old knuckles, and began filing through an old binder, filled with illustrations, photographs, and reports.

His eyes took in each page nearly instantly, and at the exact moment he had processed what was on the page, his hand was turning it.

When he reached the section titled "Articuno" he paused. It was an incredibly personal subject for the Doctor and Illor.

He cracked his neck and glanced at the Stantler. He was looking out the rain covered window, perhaps searching, perhaps dreaming, it was impossible to tell.
"Remember this one?" Dr. O'Hara questioned; his voice was gruff and worn, but friendly.

The Stantler removed his gaze from the window, and titled his head curiously.
"Articuno! You've got to remember; up on Mt. Coronet?" His voice quivered with a slight excitement and fondness.

"Oh yeah……" Illor communicated, "that one was….interesting…..kind of….frightening too…"

Telepathic communication was nothing new to the professor, it was a sensation he had learned to tolerate, and even enjoy, to some extent. "Ahahah, yeah…." He sighed, reclining in his chair, "just a shame we couldn't help the ones it was going to appear to…." His voice trailed as he spoke.

"We don't even know if that's why it was flying! For all we know it just liked the mountain!"

"I can only hope you're right…." He said, pulling himself back up into the chair.
Dr. O'Hara returned his focus to the binder, skimming through an old newspaper article about Articuno being spotted over Mt. Silver, with a grainy photograph to match. It was meaningless to the Dr, in the binder for the sake of completion.
The rain continued to come down harder, creating a steady beat against the windows and roof. Closing the binder, Dr. O'Hara gave a slightly frustrated sigh as he picked up another.

The day would come, eventually, where he would label each of the binders. But today was not that day.

"Oh good!" he said softly as he saw that this particular binder contained the information he was looking for.

"The Rockets?" Illor asked.

"Yes, yes, the Rockets. A fairly good subject to grip the students early in the year, I should think."
The Stantler seemed to accept this as fact, and continued to stare at the now-soaked campus.

Dr. O'Hara quietly skimmed the entire binder, every so often scratching down something on a pad of paper.

"You know, you could get a computer…."

"In my age what good would that do?" he hardly looked up from the binder, his interest was caught by an article he had forgotten.

"Plenty!" Illor Exclaimed, "It'd make planning your lessons ten times easier! Not to mention keeping all the files in one pl-"

"I'd have to learn how to use one, first." He growled, ending the discussion.

Illor appeared to disregard his trainer's remark, and continued his vacant gaze out the window.

A soft groan escaped Dr. O'Hara's lips as he closed the binders and stoop up. He grabbed the pad of paper which had seemingly random letters and numbers scratched on it, and walked towards the door directly behind his desk. He took a large, very possibly ancient silver key out of his coat pocket, and slid it into the lock.

"You've only got twenty minutes. Don't get too excited in there…" Illor smirked, facing the Dr.

"Oh, be quiet." There was a low rumble of thunder outside, and the windows shook.

He opened the door, and was greeted with the scent of ink, crisp paper, and old books. With a sparkle of excitement in his eyes, Dr. O'Hara flipped the light switch.
The lights revealed what appeared to be a corridor, with the walls lined with large book shelves and huge drawers, each and every one labeled.

He glanced at the paper in his hand, and memorized what he had scribbled down just moments before; "ROC-222-230"

The professor walked about three quarters of the way down the room, and pulled open a drawer labeled "ROC" it came about a foot out before stopping. His old, yet ever-vigilant eyes began scanning the hundreds of folders in the drawer, every so often pausing when they caught sight of what looked like the numbers he was searching for.

Several moments when the old man was finished searching, there was a mess of folders and papers on the ground around him. Illor was standing in the doorway, staring at him, "Time's up."

Dr. O'Hara looked up from the cabinet, slightly embarrassed by the paper based pandemonium around him. His breathing was quick and excited, tired.

"Right, of-of course!" he stuttered, picking up the nine folders he needed. He dusted himself off, and walked right past Illor and out the open door.

"You don't expect me to get all of this…?"

"Of course not." He spoke as he dropped the folders on the empty table that was centered in the classroom, a few feet from his desk.

With a crack of his back and ten minutes to go before class, he walked to the blackboard, and grabbed a little stub of chalk. In nearly perfect lettering, he wrote

"Team Rocket". He put the white chalk stub down, and grabbed a red piece. Above what he had just written, Dr. O'Hara wrote the signature "R" logo.

Part Two coming soon :)

Also, I apologize the spacing is funky.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Much, much, much more suspenseful than your other chapters. What was that about Articuno now? You seemed to totally jump from one subject to the next... But I likes this~

Also, are you trying to torture Sem by including the number 222 in your story now? XD

Now we get to some interesting pieces of plot. Was O'Hara an ex-Rocket? Or is he just teaching about them? And what 's up with the Articuno thing?

More please?