• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS I'm not sure!

Sandslash
-Earthquake
-Swords Dance
-Stone Edge
-X-Scissor/Shadow Claw

Earthquake is for STAB.
Stone Edge to hit fliers.
X-Scissor and Shadow Claw both hit Psychics and give Sandslash some coverage.
Swords Dance is to pump up the damage your attacks do.

You could also do:

Sandslash @ Leftovers
Nature- Impish
180 HP, 76 attack, and 252 defense.
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Sword Dance
Focus Punch / Hidden Power [Bug] / Substitute

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Stone Edge also out classes Rock Slide by far.

Jet, every time I see you say that, I'm going to be here to contradict you
Rock Slide is more accurate, at a cost of power. on a faster pokemon especially, I would prefer Rock Slide over Stone Edge, because even High Critical attacks are still unlikely to happen, and 80% accuracy without STAB is not worth it to most people.
Rock Slide also has a 30% chance of Flinch, if you're faster.

Stone edge does not out class Rock Slide, that is your opinion

It's a frelling Sandslash, this thing won't be outspeeding anything. Base Speed of 45 won't be outspeeding anything.

75 Base compared to 100 Base. There's quite a huge difference there. And the accuracy is only a 10% difference. And the Flinch thing...30% compared to a critical hit rate of Higher than normal (Which I believe is around 20%) You can easily overcome the miss with a critical hit and still do more damage than Rock Slide hitting twice. On top of that, Critical Hits go through Defense, while Flinches don't.

And to that, how many times have Pokemon used Stone Edge over Rock Slide. Sure Rock Slide has the accuracy, but when the time needs for a quick OHKO, Rock Slide doesn't pack enough power. And how often do Flinches occur, just about as often as a Critical hit. Walls, sure I can understand Rock Slide, but Stone Edge packs more power and has more pros than cons when comparing the two attacks to each other.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Some people still prefer accuracy to power, regardless of the flinch. I'm not arguing which one is better, I'm just saying some people prefer one to the other and that neither is COMPLETELY better than the other.

with one boost to the chance at High-Critical, the chance is 12.5%, not 20%

Flinch isn't intended as a fully offensive effect, it stuns the foe for a turn, allowing another turn to attack. [yes, I know that is a pointless fact for Sandslash ;p]

And to that, how many times have Pokemon used Stone Edge over Rock Slide.
and as you clearly saw in the pokecharms chat, there wasn't a single other person there that chose Stone Edge over Rock Slide. There are just as many people who choose Stone Edge over Rock Slide, I'm sure. It doesn't change the fact some people like the better chance at hitting.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Ruko does make a valid point. This is probably a habit I should break, but when making movesets I tend to avoid any move that doesn't have 100% accuracy, simply because on a sweeper, one badly timed miss can doom you. On Physical Sweeper movesets, I like to have one extremely powerful move that provides good coverage, and I always pick Earthquake instead of Stone Edge for this because Earthquake has 100% accuracy. Same goes for Flamethrower vs Fire Blast, and Brick Break vs Cross Chop - I'll always choose the move that provides 100% accuracy. Although this probably isn't always the best thing to do when making movesets, I've seen a move that claimed to have 95% accuracy miss FIVE times in a row, with neither side having altered their evasion or accuracy in any way. Something like that will tend to twist your judgment a little.

Sandslash makes a neat Rapid spinner :D This is an Ideal build, you dont have to follow it exactly but try to get something like it.

Sandslah w/Leftovers or Brightpowder if you have a Sandstorm going
Adamant Nature
252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
~ Swords Dance
~ Earthquake
~ Night Slash
~ Rapid Spin

And no rock move debate :D