• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS I need help with my competitive team

Well, i have never got to use this team competitively really, due to my friends always backing out or hacking. I know that my pokemon can use some serious moveset help or being rebred for a different nature and/or ability.

Torterra@Big Root
lv. 100
Naive Nature
Ability: Overgrow
Stats
HP:335
Attack: 246
Defense: 256
Sp. Atk: 176
Sp. Def: 189
Speed: 183
Moveset
Earthquake
Crunch
Giga Drain
Razor Leaf

Mismagius@Dread Plate
lv.100
Sassy Nature
Ability: Levitate
Stats
HP: 264
Attack: 170
Defense: 165
Sp. Atk: 233
Sp. Def: 258
Speed: 232
Moveset
Payback
Psybeam
Shadow Ball
Magical Leaf

Glaceon@NeverMeltIce
lv.100
Adamant Nature
Ability: Snow Cloak
Stats
HP: 275
Attack: 194
Defense: 277
Sp. Atk: 268
Sp. Def: 245
Speed: 177
Moveset
Ice Beam
Bite
Ice Fang
Water Pulse

Staraptor@Sky plate
lv.100
Mild Nature
Ability: Intimidate
Stats
HP: 302
Attack: 289
Sp. Atk: 146
Sp. Def: 114
Speed: 265
Moveset
Aerial Ace
Close Combat
Fly
Wing Attack

Garchomp@Draco Plate
lv.100
Bold Nature
Ability: Sand Veil
Stats
HP: 352
Attack: 279
Defense: 248
Sp. Atk: 223
Sp. Def: 201
Speed: 253
Moveset
Dragon Rush
Earthquake
Fire Fang
Dragon Claw

In the case of someone wanting to switch my Garchomp out for a different dragon type pokemon let me know which one I will provide my moveset for that one.

Charizard@Flame Plate
lv.100
Naive Nature
Ability: Blaze
Stats
HP: 294
Attack: 184
Defense: 179
Sp. Atk: 226
Sp. Def: 163
Moveset
Flamethrower
Dragon Claw
Shadow Claw
Air Slash

Well, that's my team, for now, any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

EDIT: Well it seems my post has only help catch a spammer so far.

Looks like you have a good mix here. If I may, I'd like to make a suggestion for each.

Torterra - Impish @ Shell Ball
252HP/252D/6A
Wood Hammer
Earthquake
Stealth Rock
Curse

Mismagius - Gentle @ Leftovers
252HP/156SpD/100D
Mean Look
Perish Song
Protect
Taunt/Toxic

Glaceon - Modest @ Lum/Chesto Berry
252HP/252SpD/6SpA
Hail
Blizzard
Rest
Water Pulse

Staraptor - Jolly @ ???
252A/252Speed/6HP
Brave Bird
Close Combat
Roost
U-turn

Garchomp - Adamant/Jolly @ Life Orb
252A/252Speed/6HP
Swords Dance
Fire Fang
Outrage
Earthquake

Charizard - Modest/Timid @ Choice Specs/Scarf
252SpA/252Speed/6D
Flamethrower
Focus Blast
Sunny Day
Solarbeam

I am calling all these off the top of my head, so there may be a few better alternatives moves wise, but I think the builds are pretty solid. Mismagius in particular I can vouch for as I use that build myself and the only person to ever kill her has been me :)

If you are playing no ubers and as such no Chomp, I give you an alternative:

Salamence/Dragonite - Adamant @ Life Orb
252A/252Speed/6HP
Dragon Dance
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Outrage

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
A couple of things you overlooked, GodlessM:

- Wood Hammer + Curse on Torterra without a healing move will get it killed so fast it won't have a chance to do very much at all. Having to set up Stealth Rock as well will cut down its survivability even more and it doesn't need 252 EVs in Defense if it is running Curse - putting them in Sp.Defense will aid its survivability considerably. Stone Edge would be more suitable than Wood Hammer, since Grass + Ground gets walled by almost anything with "Flying" in its type or anything that resists Grass and Levitates (and that's a lot.) If you want to keep Stealth Rock, avoid anti-leads with this set, since they'll kill you long before you can Curse up after laying down the Rocks.

- Staraptor usually wield Life Orb or Choice Band...speaking of Life Orb, Garchomp certainly won't need it - with Swords Dance to boost attack and his high defensive power, Life Orb will likely end up merely robbing him of his otherwise impressive survivability. Persim Berry (for Outrage) and Yache Berry are the best options - also consider going Naughty + Fire Blast to punish Steel-types wielding massive Defense stats...of which there are a lot. Also, Roosting Staraptor will very likely end up being mauled on its Roost turn unless you can force your opponent to switch out from it. Quick Attack is most likely a better option to revenge-kill - overall, sticking Roost on sweepers is a poor idea unless said sweepers are Flygon, Gliscor and Zapdos, since they actually have the defenses (and the typing, in Flygon's case) to support its use.

- Choice Item + Sunny Day/Solarbeam on something that is 4x weak to Stealth Rock is suicidal, especially since your team isn't really suited to be left out in the sun. If you want a Choice set for 'Zard, Dragon Pulse and Air Slash make perfect fillers. Also, Fire Blast trumps Flamethrower on all Choice sets - ask Heatran. Specs Overheat is an option that would hit even harder, although be wary of the nasty Sp.Attack drops that come with it.

- Finally, your Salamence set should be identical to Garchomp's with the exception of the obvious Dragon Dance instead of Swords Dance. Fire/Ground/Dragon is resisted by nothing - no other combination should really be even considered over it for this. Again, same item as Garchomp for Salamence - Sala's defenses + Intimidate do not warrant use of Life Orb.

Good points; like I said I took a lot of this off the top of my head. One thing though, I suggested Flamethrower over Fire Blast because 9 times out of 10 Flamethrower is enough and the accuracy is much better.

Wondrous team, but the attack set could be a bit better.

Torterra@Big Root
lv. 100
Naive Nature
Ability: Overgrow
Stats
HP:335
Attack: 246
Defense: 256
Sp. Atk: 176
Sp. Def: 189
Speed: 183
Moveset
Earthquake
Frenzy Plant
Energy Ball
Razor Leaf

Mismagius@Dread Plate
lv.100
Sassy Nature
Ability: Levitate
Stats
HP: 264
Attack: 170
Sp. Atk: 233
Sp. Def: 258
Moveset
Confuse Ray
Psybeam
Shadow Ball
Psywave

Glaceon@NeverMeltIce
lv.100
Adamant Nature
Ability: Snow Cloak
Stats
HP: 275
Attack: 194
Defense: 277
Sp. Atk: 268
Sp. Def: 245
Speed: 177
Moveset
Ice Beam
Bite
Ice Fang
Icy Wind

Staraptor@Sky plate
lv.100
Mild Nature
Ability: Intimidate
Stats
HP: 302
Attack: 289
Sp. Atk: 146
Sp. Def: 114
Speed: 265
Moveset
Aerial Ace
Close Combat
Fly
Wing Attack

Garchomp@Draco Plate
lv.100
Bold Nature
Ability: Sand Veil
Stats
HP: 352
Attack: 279
Defense: 248
Sp. Atk: 223
Sp. Def: 201
Speed: 253
Moveset
Dragon Rush
Earthquake
Dragon Pulse
Dragon Claw

In the case of someone wanting to switch my Garchomp out for a different dragon type pokemon let me know which one I will provide my moveset for that one.

Charizard@Flame Plate
lv.100
Naive Nature
Ability: Blaze
Stats
HP: 294
Attack: 184
Defense: 179
Sp. Atk: 226
Sp. Def: 163
Moveset
Flamethrower
Dragon Claw
Aerial Ace
Air Slash

To get Frenzy Plant, I believe you have to get North of the Resort Area and east of the Survival Area. The starter you have will have to have maximum bond (bulging hearts), along with Blast Burn, and Hydro Cannon.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
No...no...no. If that's what you call advice, you are so sadly mistaken it's ridiculous. Those movesets you've given are absolutely abysmal, and I highly suggest you read the Clinic rules before you even think of giving any advice ever again.

EDIT: In fact, scratch that - I'm warning you for this combined with the other worthless post you made in another thread I caught you in.