• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Hardware Illiterate

Hi all,

Now I know this new set of games has all the fancy wifi trading etc...

BUT would anyone be so kind as to explain how it all works? All I can seem to imagine is things happening invisibly and floating through the air.

I guess what I'm saying is can you just plug in the "thing" and go for it?

Gah, I feel so :-[...

There is no physical way to plug them in (That I know of)

What you make use is the WiFi Capability of the DS. In the case of Diamond/Pearl, what you'd do is when you start there will be an option about Nintendo WFC Connection. Choose that and setup a connection. Basicly, Click on the connection on, it should detect any compatable points close by, choose to use one of them (Preferably one from your own Router) and then go through the rest of the connection, it's pretty straight forward. Just click, and accept mostly. (May need to put in your WEP Key)

If all else fails, you may just be best off to purchase a Nintendo WiFi adapter.

But mostly, the setup is easy.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, or just post here. I'll respond asap.

Thanks for the assistance Zyun.

I might just have to make a more definite question now that I'm less tired.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is does this wifiness confine you to certain areas in order to partake in it? I'm presuming it does but I can't get my head around it.

Cables have been a way of life for me for far too long I'm afraid...

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Basically, yes. It works the same way as a wireless laptop connecting to a wireless router. The router (or Nintendo USB dongle, whichever you are connecting too) gives off the wireless signal, over a certain range. Your DS can pick up that signal as long as it is in range of it. You can see how strong the signal is from the bars on your DS, which come up both when you set up a connection and when you are connecting.

So if there is no wireless signal in range, you can't connect to the WFC.

Hope that helps a bit.

EDIT- Just whipped up a quick diagram for you.

router.png

The circle around the router represents the area in which you can pick up a signal. In this case DS1 would have a signal, where as DS2 wouldn't.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I'd totally have actually included an answer with this post if I hadn't been beaten to it, but Welcome Back Meangreen. :D