• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Hand-helds or Consoles?

Which do you like more?

• Hand-helds (GBA, DS, PSP, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Consoles (GCN, PS2, X-Box, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
A simple poll. I'm wondering which people enjoy better: console gaming or hand held gaming? (But remember, the question isn't which you picked - it's why you picked it :p)

For me personally, I've been enjoying my hand helds a lot more than my console games lately. GBA SP, DS... They're definitely the holders of most of my game-time over the last year or so. Much of that is to be blamed on the Pokemon GBA games but I've been working away at other hand held titles, too. Console games just don't interest me that much at the moment. There's the rare title I'll pick up and play for hours (Pokemon XD being the newest) but the time spent on them still much, much less than any of my GBA/DS games. We'll see if the next generation of consoles changes that for me.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Consoles have obvious benefits - bigger games etc but currently handhelds are Teh Win.

The main reason for this is the fact that the DS and PSP are shiny-new and with the DS going online we're looking at a brand new era of handheld gaming. The DS has some amazing things going on right now and the PSP graphics look amazing. (Though we're still waiting for some decent games)

Meanwhile the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox are all old, tired and on their way to the grave. There arn't that many new, great games left for them. I mean the biggest titles are basically Shadow, XD and Zelda.

This time next year or the year after would certainly merit a different answer, I can imagine the Revolution and PS3/360 will definitely inspire a lot of fresh and great games.

But undoubtedly, right now Handhelds are Teh Win.

When I applied for the job I now have at EBGames, I made a "game resumé," which is a list of every game I've ever played, which I constantly update every time I play a new one. The current standing is Consoles: 77 and Handhelds: 77, which totally freaks me out. I've played 144 games in my life, from Excitebike to Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness on the console end and from Super Mario Land to Trace Memory in handhelds, and they're split perfectly down the middle.

I've always considered myself more of a handheld kind of person, because I generally enjoy the handheld games more than the console games. I always find myself researching handheld games a lot in the days leading up to release (for the week before The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap came out, I could hardly think of anything else), but when console games come out, it's more like a "oh, it's out now?" kind of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
QuagsireQing said:
When I applied for the job I now have at EBGames, I made a "game resumé," which is a list of every game I've ever played, which I constantly update every time I play a new one. The current standing is Consoles: 77 and Handhelds: 77, which totally freaks me out. I've played 144 games in my life, from Excitebike to Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness on the console end and from Super Mario Land to Trace Memory in handhelds, and they're split perfectly down the middle.

Y'know, that's an interesting idea. Not just making a list of every game you own, but every game you've ever played. I doubt something like that would even be possible for me... At the least it'd take a few weeks to fully complete and a lot of Googling to get names correct (that's considering I could actually remember every single title, which is highly doubtful). Between the games I or my family members actually own on SNES, N64, and Playstation (original only) I've probably played more console games than you. Then there's my NES, Genesis, Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Playstation 2 collections and everything we've ever rented/borrowed or games I've played with friends... Whee! That'd be a feat, but now I'm inspired! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I used GameFAQs to make it, looking at their NES section in alphabetical order (played that one, played that one, didn't play that one, ... ...) and repeated for SNES, N64, GC, GB, GBC, GBA and DS. I then highlighted the ones I've owned in red, and organized them by system and release date. I'm such a geek that I LIKE doing this. ^_^;

It would be far too hard for me to choose between handhelds and consoles. I think the play can be so different that theres not much that you can compare between them. Though of all the games I've played the handheld pokemon games have been my favourite so I'd probably be leaning toward handhelds. Yet, there have also been mounds of console games that I have spent hours on end playing, so it's kind of a toss up, they both have there good points and bad points.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I'd have to say hand-helds, mainly because that's what I started out with: a GBC, with Pokemon Blue :p Since then my game list expanded, but I only started getting console games a few months ago when I got my GC and Colosseum. Overall, I've played many more hand-held games than console games, and... ok, this is embarrassing to admit. I hardly ever finish any games ^^" All the games I have actually completed are hand-held, and only a few of those... In conclusion, hand-helds are much more fun.

"Prof. Cinders said:
I"]

Newbie! I started on a Game Boy with Tetris 2... :p

Anyway, I really prefer handhelds, but that's because I've been using them for much longer. My mom wouldn't allow consoles in the house for several years. Also, I like the ability to play them away from a TV, because quite frequently my little brother jeopardizes the set.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, well, I'm younger than you and I've been deprived of pretty much everything. :p Note that I still have no DS in my possession, or Emerald... Why couldn't it come out closer to Christmas? :(