• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

good charizard moveset

i was just wondering what a good moveset for my charizard would be

charizard:nature lax
his moves are dragon claw
heat wave
air slash
inferno

Last edited by a moderator:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I know a set that wouldn't be good for your Charizard, and it's the one it has right now.

This is my preferred moveset for Charizard:

Charizard @ Salac Berry
Hasty/Naive
Blaze
6 HP or Defense/252 Sp.Attack/252 Speed

- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Punch
- Substitute

The objective is simple: get hit by Stealth Rock (you need to be on full HP for this) as you switch in on something that is likely to flee for its life from 'Zard (slower Pokemon weak to Fire basically.) Use Substitute as they switch out - if your HP is divisible by four at Lv.100 (which it needs to be for this - check your IVs and apply EVs accordingly to make it divisible by four) then you'll be at 25% HP with Blaze and your berry activated for a Speed boost. From there, it's sweeping time - Fire Blast/Flamethrower are your bog-standard Fire-type attacks, and Dragon Pulse + Focus Punch provide coverage enough to allow Charizard to hit every Pokemon in the game for at least neutral damage. Focus Punch also works to knock out any special walls coming in to soak up your Fire attacks, but be wary of using it if your Substitute has been broken.

would you recommend starting from a charmander for that or is there any other movesets that might work? god i wish i knew what ev training was before i trained my pokemon... oh and i should have mentioned that i've never done a competitive team before so that's why charizard is so terrible.

I would recommend re breeding to get the nature you want. So yes raising from a charmander would be ideal. This way it gives you a chance to really work with the EVs.

Another option for Charizard is dragon dance for the physical side since he has respectable stats there. With any charizard set its a reallllly good idea to have a pokemon on your team with rapid spin since its very sensitive to Stealth rock.

Here is my physical charizard:

Charizard@Life Orb (or any other item that boosts physical attack.)
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Elemental Fang attack, normally Thunder Fang but Ice Fang can work too.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Please refrain from double-posting in the future.

Focus Punch and Dragon Pulse are both Gen IV TMs. If you've already transferred it over to B/W you've basically screwed yourself.