• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Glasses!

Do you wear glasses? Contacts? Neither?

• Glasses

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • Contacts

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Both

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Glasses

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • Contacts

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Both

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 19 31.1%

• Total voters

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
A conversation in the chatroom got me wondering, how many of the fine 'charms folk need glasses?

Do you prefer glasses or contacts?

Are you long sighted or short sighted?

Or do you have perfect vision?

I'm short sighted and wear glasses because of it, have done for about 10 years now. I want contacts but they cost a bomb, and I'd only wear them when going out anyway.

What about you guys?

And would anyone consider laser eye surgery? If so, why? If not, why not?

My vision is actually sharper then average. This is a rare genetic treat I got from my dad, who is old but also has a great eyesight.

I like wearing sunglasss though. Contact-lenses who make your irises look red rock, too.

I'm pretty sure my eyes are as perfect as they can get, a lovely blue colour and everything...~

I jest. :p

Though my eyesight is pretty perfect I think - I've never had issues with it, I think its probably one of the few body parts I have that works >>;

Yyyyep, I've got glasses.

I've needed them since second grade and my eyes have just gotten worse over the years. I'm thinking about getting contacts, but I would really only wear them occassionally when I felt it'd be easier than having my glasses on.

I would definitely never get laser eye surgery. I hate the idea of any kind of surgery, and so if there's one that I don't need then I'm not going to get it. Plus, I don't think it even really works. My mom got it a couple years back and she still needs reading glasses...

Also I'm near sighted. Very, very near sighted.

I've got nearly perfect eyesight, but it's off in my left eye, so I wear blue contacts with a little power to them. I guess I'm far-sighted.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Back in 3rd grade, I started wearing contacts because my left eye, considered a "lazy eye", was pretty horrible vision-wise. Then, my right eye started become nearsighted, so I got a contact for that eye as well... except now I had one eye nearsighted and the other farsighted. Up until the second semester of seventh grade I wore contacts. I then switched to glasses because my eyes started developing an allergic reaction to said contacts (and my parents read an article about how contacts distort the eye shape or something like that). So yeah, I'm wearing glasses now.

And everyone in my family that's rich enough to have them wear glasses as well. Either that, or they got some sort of surgery to help their eyes see better.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
I wear contacts. I have for quite a bit of time now, close to eight years I believe. I'm near-sighted, but my vision isn't too terribly bad. I used to wear glasses too, but now I don't. I don't even own a pair of glasses anymore. First thing in the morning I pop in my contacts and carrying on with my day like that. They're so second nature for me that wearing glasses just seems really odd and mildly visually constricting to me.

'Sides, I don't even know what I'd look like with glasses on anymore... =\

I'm near sighted and have been using glasses since my mid-teens, but only really started wearing them "full time" when I entered sixth form. I'm way over-due for my next eye test, but at least I've seen some cheap frames that will look half decent on me. The current glasses I have I got before I left full time education (woo!) so they're som nice desginer ones, but unfortunatly the paint chipped away on the arms and started cutting into my ears, so I need to tape them up. It's not overly noticable and for the most part my skin has come back there.

I'll never wear contacts (I hate the idea) even though my sister does and she has no troubles with them. I'm also, surprisingly, a bit squemish about laser surgery. I just don't like stuff in or very close to my eyes.

(Contact lense wearing freaks.)

Staring at my laptop screen all the time has made me slightly nearsighted so I need glasses. However I only wear them some of the time like when I'm driving or in class when I need to read something on a projector if I happened to be sitting far away or playing SSBB on my 15" TV hurr. Outside of that, I go without my glasses. It's hilarious because I can't recognize people's faces from far away without my glasses either--they look blurry.

My glasses are a bit annoying because they're extremely crooked and I need to get them fixed (or get new ones). They also tend to slide down my nose. I really dislike taking pictures in them too because I look so horrible in them. As far as contacts go, I'm too squeamish about putting my finger in my eye. And regarding laser surgery: I don't rule out the idea if my vision gets bad enough, but currently, I just can't be bothered.

I wear glasses cuz of near sighted-ness. It started in the third grade, and I've been wearing them full-time ever since. I like the way I look in them, gives me distinction or what not. Although people have said I look better with them off before :p. I see a boyish face in the mirror without them, so my girly glasses help with that.
I would never in my life wear contacts; to me, there's a lot of squickyness with touching my eyes. I can do eye drops, but I can't touch my eye with my finger, or do the eye washing thing (which I actually had to do one time when I got dirt in my eye, I eventually just cried it out). Laser eye surgery would only happen if I was totally knocked out, didn't know what was going to happen and the surgery would totally heal my eyes. My mom had to get some to get some cataracts out of her eyes and now she can't wear contacts, she has to wear glasses for further correction!

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I don't wear glasses, but I do have those annoying things called Floaters in my eyes << They bug me, and I bet they're a sign of future eye troubles, so maybe in the future :V

I'd consider laser eye surgery, most certainly. I could never, ever put anything in my eyes. And I can see myself as one of those people that would constantly lose/break glasses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Floaters? Are they like, little transparent white 'Y' shapes that float across your vision but you can't ignore because they're right in the corner of your eye?

I've worn glasses since I was 8 years old. I'm extremely nearsighted (LD: -7.5 and DD: -8.25 iirc). I'm considering having laser eye surgery once my prescription stabilizes since I am pretty much nonfunctional without my glasses. I probably wouldn't be able to get to 20/20 vision even with the surgery, but maybe I'd be able to not need glasses except for distance reading (!!!!) or at least not be completely useless should something happen to my glasses. I'm hoping I don't get farsighted as I age as that will suck needing two types of correction. >_<

I wore contacts for about a year in grade 11 but they were extremely hard on me since it would take me a good 15-20 minutes to put them in in the morning, which really adds up when you're trying to get ready before school. They would also give me headaches if I had them in too long; one time I got up at 5 for a band rehearsal and didn't get back home until 11 at night after a band concert, and after having contacts on for 18 hours I got a migraine so bad that I missed school the next day. I recently got some trial pairs of contacts to try wearing since it would be nice to wear them for parties or sports but I haven't gotten around to them yet.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Tatile said:
Floaters? Are they like, little transparent white 'Y' shapes that float across your vision but you can't ignore because they're right in the corner of your eye?

Yeah. Most of mine are easy enough to ignore and aside from when I look at bright stuff I don't see those. One though is quite large and grey, almost in the centre of my right eye, so it's really annoying. I can't see it now, or when I read and such, but if I'm looking far away it appears and 'moves' as my vision moves. I'm told they're actually quite common.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I wear glasses too, and I'm fairly near sighted - though I'm no longer sure what my prescription would be. I noticed that things were getting a bit fuzzy around grade 8 and finally had my eyes checked about a year later. The results weren't great. The first time I put on glasses I was amazed with how sharp and clear everything was. I'd pretty well forgotten what seeing in 20/20 vision was like. XD

I've tried contacts once and haven't gone back since. They irritated my eyes something awful, and I had so much difficulty putting them in that it just wasn't worth it. Even my eye doctor, who boasted about how easy putting contacts in was, couldn't get them to stay in place without lots of patience (aka. frustration). I just blink far too easily and can't consciously stop doing so.

A bit off topic, but on the subject of our eyes... I've had scar tissue in one of my eyes since I was a toddler and nobody can figure out what caused it. It's off to the side just enough that it doesn't interfere with my vision, but I've had a number of tests done and pictures taken to determine that it wouldn't become a problem anytime soon. As of now things are fine, but there's always the potential that it could change when I'm older. Laser surgery has been an option, but I currently don't see it as being wholly necessary. I'm hoping it'll just stay put. :p

Only other thing worth mentioning is my slight astigmatism, but my mother has one too and the doctors aren't too fussed by it.

Grah, I'm supposed to be wearing glasses all of the time, but I don't because they annoy the hell out of me! I've gone threw a few pairs now, just because I was goofing around with them. I have a terrible astigmatism in my right eye, so I might as well be blind in that eye. And speaking of floaters, I have and overabundance, which never helps during a sports practice much. So I'm pretty much half-blind and I have floaters. Wonderful. But I can see things perfectly fine if they're within 5 feet or so of me. I DO however rock a pair of aviator sunglasses occaisionally.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
I started wearing glasses when I was three or four xP My right eye was always a lazy eye as well, and I had a surgery when I was six to fix it a bit. I don't remember how near sighted I was, but I know that right now less than 1% of the population (I assume the US population when they told me this, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the world population srsly :V) sees as bad as I do without glasses or contacts.

I switched over to contacts when I was ten, didn't like em. (frickin' hard lenses.) Went back to glasses for a year or so later and then tried contacts again and loved them xP (soft lenses ♥)

And then I had a retinal detachment in my left eye, three surgeries across nine months later and there was nothing they could do, so I now only have one working eyeball. Also had a retinal detachment in the other eye but they lazor'd that up fairly nicely, got an enormous floater in it too that's smack dab in the middle of my vision, but I've gotten fairly used to seeing with it.

So, now I wear just one contact lens and a prosthesis (Think GIANT contact that covers the whole front of your eye that is painted to look like a normal eye.) since my blind one is all scarred up and shrunken. For driving I need to wear a pair of glasses AND my contact at the same time. And I also have a normal pair of glasses for when I don't have my contact in - they're /thick/ beasts though. My contact is a beast too xP Significantly thicker than other contacts I've had, and they had to special order it.

Anyway, yeah, those are my eyesight woes~

A

Anonymous

Ehh...I don't wear glasses or contacts (not count sunglasses or those lenses you put in your eyes on Halloween to change their color)
but I wish I did though.

While I have perfect sight, my friend didn´t realize that he needed until he tried my friends ones on for a laugh. He was pretty shocked at how we all looked at first.

Eh, I recently got off my glasses, as my prescription is .25-.75, which is the margin of error allowed with glassesmaking, which means I essentially get a sheet of window glass. Because of this, my optometrist says I probably won't need them until my early fifties.

As for long/short sighted, I am long-sighted, though in the US, it's commonly called farsighted. This is pretty lucky, as my family tends to decline in vision as they get older.

52Crossroads

Formerly Gya
im legally blind in my left eye. while my right is better than normal. that being said, without my glasses, i couldnt even function without tripping, bumping into things, falling over, etc. and with my eyes the way they are it fucks with my depth perception, so i run into things even more.
i also hate contacts with a burning passion that consumes my soul! (eternal love to whoever gets that reference) id rather not have eyes at all than wear them. =c=

Magpie said:
Tatile said:

Yeah. Most of mine are easy enough to ignore and aside from when I look at bright stuff I don't see those. One though is quite large and grey, almost in the centre of my right eye, so it's really annoying. I can't see it now, or when I read and such, but if I'm looking far away it appears and 'moves' as my vision moves. I'm told they're actually quite common.

I have those exact same things. I never new what they were though because I've never been to an Optomitrist. I have this one in my right eye that I get when I am concentrating on something small or far away. When I see it I always to to follow it but it runs away whenever I try and look at it directly and then when I give up the chase it comes back and keeps annoying me. :( Oh and I dont have glasses......yet.

A

Anonymous

Gya said:
most people think that they can see perfectly, until they go to the eye doctor or wear someone elses glasses that improve their vision.
Well, at first I thought maybe I needed glasses cuz I kept bumping into stuff, so I went to the Eye doctor and passed the test with flying colors, he told me I had 20-20 vision, I then realized I just suffer from extreme clumsyness...

I've got glasses, but very rarely wear them. I'll wear them to see things on a board at school, or when watching a movie that I really want to see the detail in theaters. Sometimes when I'm outside I'll wear them, because I like to see all the details better then I would without them. I'm nearly positive I'll need them to drive, though.
I've ruled contacts out -- I couldn't bear touching my eyes that often. And laser eye surgery....maybe. I hate the idea of surgery, but one day, it might be worth it.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I wear glasses like most everyone here. I look so badass when I wear them too because they have slightly pointed frames near the top. The other badass appeal about them is I have tinted lenses so I have no need for sunglasses. I would still like to find Squirtle Squad Sunglasses though because those are beyond the impossible pointy, but I digress.

Being the weirdo that I am, I take them off to eat, sleep, go to the bathroom, read a book, and get on the computer. As a result, I tend to forget where I left them unless I hang them on my shirt collar. In one case just the other day, I walked passed them twice before realizing the were on my desk in my room XD

I would never wear contacts because they feel so uncomfortable, and laser surgery is out of the question because of how unnatural it is.

52Crossroads

Formerly Gya
and putting molten, then cooled, sand in front of your face is natural?
(and i agree on the badassery of the squirtle squads glasses! ^u^)

I wear glasses because I have astigmatism in one eye and, all-in-all, my vision is extremely crappy anyway. But still, glasses are sexy. Don't hate.

p1130172.jpg

Welp, a while back I learned I had perfect vision. No story behind it, but I have VERY sharp and acute vision, and I probably, as what the doc said, won't EVER need any help with my vision at all. 20/20 Baby.

I used to have to wear reading glasses, which made me look smexy however my head is too big for them now. I need to get another pair badly :p

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I've been wearing glasses for like... forever. I see fine for shortish distances but for distant things, yeah.

I never considered contacts or surgery, and I don't think I'll ever consider them. I don't like the idea of having something in continuous contact with my eye... and with all due respect for lasers, unless I'm doing the firing, I don't want to come in personal contact with them. XP

'sides, I can't quite imagine myself without glasses by now. XD

Gosh, I have heard a bunch of 'horror stories' about the 'tune-ups' (or additional surgeries) needed for procedures like Lasik, as the cornea changes as one ages. Add that to mah astigmatism, I have possible fail story on my hands if I ever decide to get it.

I'm nearsighted and started to wear glasses at the beginning of 6th grade. I have amblyopia, or "lazy eye" in a general term. Without glasses, if I covered my right eye, I probably couldn't read this text unless I'm at least 13 inches close to the screen. Of course, years of late night reading & internet caused some blurriness in my right eye as well :V

Some of my friends are constantly asking me why I don't get contacts. While I have considered them, I still shut my eyes when using eye drops. So yeah, no contacts for me. Plus, I'd probably forget to take them off all the time. As with laser surgery, I get queasy when any artificial light is aimed at my eyes. (Hell, I still have some difficulty taking an eye exam.) So yeah, that's a no.

I pretty much have glasses welded to my face. I can't see things that are far away, so I think that's near-sighted. Drives me crazy if I have to wander around without them.

In fact, that's kind of the reason I nixed my contacts- I tried for a few months, but if one of them decides it's going to have a splitting party in your eye, it stings like all hell, and then you can't see out of one eye. And that drives me effing insane.

I do have some pretty cool colored contacts, though. No prescription to them, so they don't help me see, but they make my eyes awesome XD

Near-sighted alittle.

I have glasses. I wear them. But, for going to school with them on, I have a persona called "The Merchant". I sell food to those who want it at a reasonable price, while wearing all black and givin' myself a vereh sothern accent, Stranger!