• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Funsuckers >=O

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
We all know people who like to suck people's fun. Some of the worst cases are on YouTube.

Anyway, this thread is about games that have been ruined for you because of people who take it too seriously and make it painful to play for everyone.

Some of the best examples are Max Stat games of Final Fantasy, FFX and FF7 in particular. The people, like my friend IRL, who take the game far too seriously. My friend actually criticises me when I tell him I don't usually bother going for max stat games because I'm lazy. So what if I don't have a Tidus with 255 attack and luck who can 1HKO Penance with a Drain attack? That doesn't mean I don't enjoy the game!

Another example is the people who rave on and on and on about Brawl not being as good as Melee. Who cares? It's a fun game, it's great to play alone or with friends, but I've been turned straight off it because of people who rant and rave. Just 'cause I don't play top tier characters doesn't mean I don't enjoy playing it.

The only thing I can think of that doesn't do this is Pokemon, but that's because I don't play competitively much. I still enjoy training random pokemon because I like them and throwing them into the battle frontier for lulz ;D

What about you guys? Any games been ruined for you because people take them too seriously?

Edit: Forgot about KH2. That game hasn't been ruined either, but that's because most of the challenges (Sephiroth No recovery/no damage/sweet memories/low level) are ridiculously easy and anyone can do them ;D

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hahaha... Amen to that, El XD

While certain games haven't been completely ruined for me, one thing that definitely annoys me is the whole "OMGZ YOU GOTTA BEAT ! AND YOU GOTTA COLLECT ! etc. etc. AND MARRY YOUR COUSIN - OR YOU'RE NOT HARDCORE!" thing. It wouldn't be so bad if not for the way some gamers treat it.

I'm all for giving someone a congrats and pat on the back if they put in the time to complete a hard collection/beat certain optional bosses/etc. - it's well deserved praise in most cases! But for the love of god... don't BRAG about it like you're teh awesome when all you did was level grind to 100/follow someone else's strategy word for word/use a players guide to pin-point each and every single monster/item/etc. It doesn't make you hardcore. It just means you have a lot of spare time on your hands - commendable, but little more. XP

Link Achivement.
Link Gearscore.
Link Achivement+Gearscore+How much gold you have+When you hit level 80+And the name of your first pet.

This isn't for hard content either. This is from pricks who want to be carried through the easiest of dungeons because they can't find the difference between the Enter key and the Spacebar. Thankfully my server seems to be immune to the infection - for the moment.

Any game that's taken too seriously by anyone will have the fun sucked from it, if you pay attention to them. I tend not to as I know what I find fun and don't need other people to tell me that. Besides, anyone asking for some massively over-the-top several-levels-higher achivement is probably going to die in a fire.

Oho? What was that? I'm supposed to heal you? Oh! I thought my gear wasn't good enough for that.

Bitter? Never...

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
A few little points of mine:

Some of the best examples are Max Stat games of Final Fantasy, FFX and FF7 in particular.

Honestly, these never impress me at all - all they suggest to me is that someone has too much free time on their hands, unless you're fighting Penance in FFX since even with max stats one fuck-up can spell your doom against him. Low-level runs, such as the No Sphere Grid runs in FFX I find far, far more impressive, since they force players to improvise to get past opponents and bosses that far outstrip them in terms of stats.

Another example is the people who rave on and on and on about Brawl not being as good as Melee. Who cares?

I care. If Brawl was just Melee again with more characters, more stages and better graphics and music, I would have been more than satisfied. Instead, they overhauled the whole fighting engine in a way that makes it completely different to Melee's, and you know what they say: If it's not broken, don't fix it. Melee certainly got fixed here and it only made Brawl a crushing disappointment to me.

That aside, why should mine or anyone else's opinion ever affect anyone else's? If you still find Brawl fun, then play it and ignore everyone else. I said Brawl was a disappointment - I never said it wasn't fun because it is fun, it's still a Smash game after all. Also, a lot of the people who say that "Brawl sucks" or "Brawl is shit and it's for n00bs only" still play it like devout zealots. Need I say more?

The tier list is a whole different story though. It does have a way of cheapening certain characters in a way where watching, and playing as them, becomes a horribly boring chore that sees you do little more than rinse, lather and repeat the same-old same-old over and over again to crush your opponent with the attributes and abilities that make you top tier. A key example is King Dedede - yes, King Dedede IS top tier and has been for ages - his most abusable attribute is his chain-grab, which works at any damage percentage and is easy to execute thanks to Dedede's immense grab range, and the chain ends by tossing you off the stage; good luck trying to recover with Dedede repeatedly pushing you further and further away from the stage with his multiple jumps and aerials. Same goes with Falco and his laser/chain-grabs, Diddy with bananas, Meta Knight with...just about everything, the top tier playstyle is pretty much "abuse X and Y and you win," and it becomes very stale very fast, both to watch and to play as. I stopped playing as Meta Knight for this reason - he's just THAT good, and it makes the game all too easy for me.

In order to get around this, I instead focused my attention on high/mid/low-tier characters instead, whose playstyle is far more varied due to lack of an overpowering attribute, and are overall more fun to play as since it requires a lot more thought and ability. Seeing a great Ike player do battle and defeat the top tier characters is amazing to watch, and one of my favourite matches I've ever seen was a Fox fighting and beating a Pikachu, a match-up that is horribly bent in Pikachu's favour since if Pikachu gets a grab Fox unavoidably will end up at over 90% damage due to Pikachu's nasty chain-grab on him. I myself main Ganondorf, the character considered the worst in the game - I'm aware of this fact, and I don't care. Ganondorf to me is the most fun to play as, and I'm not going to change my main because some tier list says that he's absolute trash. Plus, watching some tier-whore get crushed by me with Ganondorf is pretty priceless when you think of it that way.

Since I've probably reached the point of TL;DR here, I'll wrap up with this: I have an EV trained Pachirisu in my computer box. If you wish to face it...let me know - just don't expect to beat it all that easily.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
That said, I still stand by this:

That aside, why should mine or anyone else's opinion ever affect anyone else's? If you still find Brawl fun, then play it and ignore everyone else.

Since I haven't max-statted any RPG, my opinion of Brawl seems to be what bothers you. Again, I fail to see why me considering Brawl a disappointment should put you off of it, especially since I don't enforce the use of top-tier characters either, which was your other point (YAY GANON!)

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Nono, you're misunderstanding. I'm talking about the people who play Brawl+ like it's some kind of gaming bible. Competitive play was killed for me by hearing lists and lists and stories and powerpoint presentations of how much better Brawl+ is and how wavedashing/tripping/slowattack/sonic/blah blah blah should be rectified.

It's a great game in its own right, it appeals to its target market, it sells and people have fun playing it. Why bother griping about it and making an entirely new and pointless version?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Ah, right, I see where you're coming from. While I won't totally deny that I do have some traits of a funsucker, I've never played Brawl+ nor made any notable effort to acquire it since normal Brawl is, to me now, sufficient for my desires. It turns out that what really ruined my view of Brawl over Brawl+ is the way competitive American Smashers treat competitive Brawl like some kind of robotic chess game - ultimately, trying to emulate that style made the game so boring it was painful. When I went back to my typical, mindgamey style it became a lot more fun to play, and I never considered Brawl+ again after that.

Brawl+ was made to try and make Brawl a more competitive game, essentially, even though it is widely ignored in favour of the real deal even now. It doesn't actually include wavedashing at all, although I'm pretty sure they removed tripping entirely. The other changes involved changing the shield-stun and hit-stun mechanics so you can combo opponents properly and you can't instantaneously grab someone the instant they graze your shield - while I like these changes, I'm too lazy to try and retool myself to a version of Brawl that almost no-one plays. Not sure where Sonic comes into that, since he's already awesome in regular Brawl as it is.

Also, powerpoint presentations on competitive Brawl? Those actually exist? Ther'll be a university degree in it next if they do.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
No, powerpoint presentations don't exist... as far as I know... ¬.¬

*Would totally go make a powerpoint presentation about it now if she had any clue what half of the competitive SSB terms meant XP*

I love the fighting game genre. Sadly that's a genre that a lot of these so-called funsuckers like to play, be they oh too competitive gamers or people just out to take on newbies. I'm not entirely sure if they're aware of it but they can be such a buzzkill when you're trying out a game for the first time. Bombarding a newcomer with technical terms and nonchalantly demanding them to master this combo and that counter move or defeating less experienced players by spamming a single move (I'm looking at you, Jin Kisaragi and Alisa Bosconovitch) are just some of the things these guys like to do. Its perfectly fine if you're playing with a friend who shares in your experience or interest in competetive play, but who goes to a public arcade making snark comments about a person's playing style for him/her to hear? Then again, it is a public arcade and you can play the game in your own way but there's no denying that it can be rather irksome, especially if you're letting people know just what you think about how they play the game.

While, I've never had a game ruined by these 'hardcore' players, I'm definitely annoyed by them. Competitive battling in Pokemon in fun and it's awesome, but the people who take it too far and take it far too seriously really suck all the fun out of it. I mean the people who nitpick strategies and Pokemon to death as if their life depended on it. Brawl is notorious for funsuckers--these are the people who criticize fun Brawls on a stages that aren't Final Destination or that have a few items turned on. Or those people that whine and complain excessively when they prat fall--or about the online lag.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Brawl is notorious for funsuckers--these are the people who criticize fun Brawls on a stages that aren't Final Destination

It's very ironic you should mention Final Destination specifically as a stage favoured by competitive Smashers, since recently those players have begun to slate Final Destination as being imbalanced since they claim it gives Falco, Dedede, Diddy Kong and Ice Climbers an unfair advantage against most of the cast due to their chain-grabs (or in Diddy's case, banana locks,) and Falco/Dedede's camping abilities.

As for Brawl Wi-Fi, I still think it should die in a fire regardless of my standpoint on casual or competitive play. Lag is one thing, but seriously, a 0.5 second lag time on arguably the fastest internet connection available is disgraceful on all counts.

Rex

Resident Furry
Final Destination, being the simplest stage, would normally be preferred by brawlers. From my experience, most Brawlers that call it unfair are ones that cannot win on it. Item's are another story all together. They even out the playing field a little, and add a bit of randomness to the game. Of course, Brawlers that are all about skill will hate these and demand them to be turned off. The Prat fall is an amusing way of stopping a player that moves excessively, giving others a chance to catch up. It is another way of evening the playing field. All these complaints make it very hard to enjoy the game. It is near impossible to enjoy a Brawl with no items, especially on a stage like Battlefield, arguably the second/third simplest.

I have no kind words for Wi-Fi. Major lag, and next to no connectivity make it impossible to enjoy in any way.

Well, it's hard for you to enjoy a match without items, at least. Other people like it just fine, which is their prerogative.

And, objectively, Final Destination is unfair. It favors characters with projectiles and characters with good chaingrabs (as KoL said) over those who don't. If you ask the competitive players, they'll most likely say that Battlefield or Smashville (if I recall correctly) are the most fair.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I myself prefer all the items turned off, for several reasons:

1. Brawl's supposed to be a fighting game, hence the name Brawl. I bought it because I wanted a fighting game, not a glorified game of scrambles where everyone just chases items around as opposed to fighting each other.

2. It makes the game more challenging without them. No loopholes, no easy ways out - if your opponent is in the lead, then you have to catch up using your own ability, because nothing else except possibly the stage if it has any hazards is going to help or save you.

Seriously though, Brawl is boring without items turned on? Even I am willing to give Brawl more credit than that - Brawl's fun both with and without items, I just prefer them not to be there since I prefer to win off my own back without any outside aid whatsoever.

I think Smashville is considered to be the most balanced stage in the game since Battlefield's platforms and large, open off-stage areas favour characters like Meta Knight, Marth and Wario with great air games, whereas Smashville doesn't really favour or disadvantage anyone. Battlefield is my personal favourite stage though since it, to me, lets you show off the most with flashy combos and edgeguarding tricks.

Finally, in another twist of irony, one of the characters that Final Destination favours has no chain-grabs or camping projectiles at all: Sonic.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Sonic isn't fast, everyone else is just too slow. :p

*Gives the rimshot to KoL*

Alright, just so I'm actually on topic: Completion times in RPGs. I like stats, so calculating average play times through any game interests me, but people who act like "quicker time = better gamer" can be aggravating. Everyone's not out for the speed run, and how many people leave their games on and walk away for hours because something came up? Can't always find a save point when you need one. Like anything, it's fun comparing completion times between other gamers - just don't act like a prick about it. XP

Any time someone brags about a much faster time, I automatically assume that they didn't take time to do sidequests and stuff. So that actually makes me assume that they're a worse player. XD

I play modern warfare 2 online a bit and you occaisionally get some real funsuckers who get pissed and swear at you when you die. I mean seriously... And there is always people who think they are really good and treat you like shit if you arent as good as them. You have to hear what some of these nutcases say. One guy even growled at me....... :o I mean what kind peerson growls at another person over a microphone because they died during a game.