• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Froslass Move-Set Help?

Hey, I have a Froslass for competitive battling and I think its moveset could use some changes. It's very useful in battle, but it just doesn't cut it.

Froslass @ NeverMeltIce (Will change)

Bashful Nature

Confuse Ray, Wake-Up Slap, Thunder, Ice Beam

I don't know its EV's or IVs.

Bashful isn't so bad. Timid would be better.

Have it with Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, Thunder Bolt and Destiny Bond. Think that covers most Froslass...

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Timid is the best Nature for Froslass overall. However, it generally has more options than just attacking...

...you see, whilst Froslass does get a very nice offensive movepool, it suffers from one problem: Base 80 on both offensive stats. Three attacks and Destiny Bond can work, but really, you need something more...

Here's a few things of note about Froslass:

- Froslass is the only Spiker in the game that is immune to Rapid Spin - this certainly makes Froslass quite unique. Spikes is definitely a notable option to consider for it for this reason, although setting up the Spikes can be difficult given Froslass's somewhat mediocre defense stats - Base 70 on HP and both defenses is the same as Lucario, and Lucario certainly isn't known for its defensive prowess.

- Snow Cloak can be infuriating to deal with if you can set up a Hailstorm, and STAB, never-miss Blizzard would give Froslass a very nice boost to its otherwise lacking power. Although it can be a bit tough to set it up, Froslass doing standard sweeping tends to be underwhelming otherwise, especially since a very similar Pokemon to Froslass can run a 3-Special Attack + Destiny Bond set with even more effectiveness: Gengar.

- Other interesting moves for Froslass include Thunder Wave, Confuse Ray and Light Screen. Substitute works very well combined with Froslass's high Speed, and Sub + Snow Cloak effect can get very nasty in a hurry (*cough*Brightpowder*cough*.) Generally, you need to make the most out of Froslass's other options to avoid being outdone by your fellow Ghost-types.

Yeah, the problem is, I can't quite rebreed to get a different nature. It's already level 100 (got it at that level on the GTS).

My Froslass does have a very good speed stat, in my opinion. It nearly always attacks first (sure it's slower than that EV'd Sceptile though....).

I have Wake-Up Slap to get rid of Normal-type walls, such as Blissey and Snorlax. Considering Snorlax is asleep using Rest nearly all the time, I figured it would be good.

I also have a Wide Lens so I could keep Thunder instead of replacing it with Thunderbolt. I used to have Hail but I didn't know Froslass' ability could do that xP So, should I get rid of Confuse Ray for Hail and Ice Beam for Blizzard? I think it would be good right there.

Also, Froslass' attack is equal to it's sp. attack, which is nearly as much as its speed (I use Carbos and stuff), therefore making Wake-Up Slap even better. All the Normal-types I've seen had bad defenses compared to their other stats.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Several things wrong with Wake-up Slap:

- It may work on a sleeping Snorlax, but not so much on one carrying Curse (which most do.) Crunch from them to you will likely doom you as well - keep that in mind.

- No other regularly used Normal-type really uses Rest. Blissey trained in Defense won't care much about Wake-up Slap and it never uses Rest anyway, so that's out of the question there for starters.

For the most part, it really isn't worth the slot it takes on the set.

Also, if you got this thing off GTS at Lv.100 and plan on using it competitively...don't do it. Part of the reason why this Froslass doesn't cut it is because it very likely hasn't been EV trained, it has the wrong Nature, and against any decent team, it won't perform unless your opponent is as predictable as the average WWE pay-per-view. I'd definitely consider re-breeding it regardless if you want the best performance out of this thing.

Also, Sceptile's Base Speed is higher than Froslass's - if Sceptile doesn't outspeed you, it fails hard.

Well, unfortunately, I do not EV train, as I do not get the hang of it. I am gonna rebreed my Froslass to get one with Spikes (and Toxic Spikes if possible). So if I don't get Timid, what else should I go for?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Timid, Naive and Hasty are probably the best options - Froslass's Special movepool is a bit too good to screw over with Jolly. Timid is by far the best one for Spikes though.

Also, Froslass only gets Spikes - no Toxic Spikes or Stealth Rock, although Toxic Spikes is flawed beyond belief anyway.