• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Open Fortis Discussion thread

Name: Kala Nahesa

Appearance: Sandy brown skin, dotted with freckles. Kala has large, faded amethyst eyes, and wears a small amount of matching purple face paint around his eyes to hide his raccoon-like shadows. His hair runs down to his shoulder blades and is an unkempt wavy mess of jet black. He is lean and stands at around 5' 8". Kala's normal attire consists of an ash gray sleeveless shirt, brown camo cargo shorts, and a pair of sandals that are colored to look like a Wimpod. On both of his hands, Kala wears a silver ring, one given to him by each of his parents.

Personality: Kala is one of those kids who thinks he can do anything he sets his mind to. In fact, the best way to get him to do anything is to tell him that he can't! He's a fiery ball of energy when he has something to do, but when he's bored, he is more akin to a bottle of lightning: unstable and jittery, wanting to move or at least have something to do. He's a determined kid, and even if he fails at a task multiple times, he'll still persevere. That being said, even he has a point where he has to face the fact that he can't do anything. When he has those moments, he'll fall into a state of sadness and apathy for a while before bouncing back to his normal state, usually thanks to his best friend in the entire world, his Dewpider named Shizu.

Backstory:
Kala's parents, both still alive, well, and happily married, were and still are workaholics (Kala assumes he got his sense of determination and activity from them.) They were insanely productive and efficient in their fields of work, one being a Professor's aide hailing originally from Johto, the other being a chef for a restaurant in Hau'oli City. Their productivity and efficiency is the primary attributor to Kala's hyperactivity, though they both believe that Kala doesn't apply it properly. According to them, if he were to "focus more on being useful, then his hyperactivity would become more like our productivity, and things would be perfect." They never really had much time to hang out with Kala, and as a result, Kala never really grew very attached to them. At one point in his life, they insisted that he refer to them by name rather than by "mom" and "dad." Despite this absence in his life, Kala kept on smiling. He didn't want to let his parents' constant work-related absence bring him down, so he set a challenge for himself: How long can he stay optimistic despite being without his parents all the time? Originally, it was tough to maintain a smile whenever he was told by his parents "I'll be there tomorrow," or "I'll come look later," but as time went on, he found it much easier to keep on being happy rather than falling into sadness from being alone. His facade of happiness slowly took over his normal attitude, and his happiness became constant with little to no effort to keep it there. Kala remembers one moment where the two of his parents took time off of their work to be with him. It was when he was about seven, and his parents both got him a birthday present - granted, a few months late, but it's the thought that counts. They both got him a silver ring, one for each hand. At that moment, Kala thought they had changed, but they went right back to work the next day. Nevertheless, he treasures the rings as signs that despite never being close to them, his parents still loved him. Due to the emotional distance between him and his parents, who he still loves very much, Kala would try to befriend others instead. He was never great at befriending other people, considering the fact that his hyperactive nature tends to annoy people, but he had several Pokemon friends, including a Mudbray, a few Wingulls, and a Dewpider that he found as a baby. This Dewpider in particular, which he nicknames Shizu clicked with Kala the most. Both of them had parents that were never really around them, so they both spent a lot of time together. Kala would often sneak out of his house in Paniola Town and run down to Brooklet Hill just to spend hours with Shizu. They would play in the water together, day or night, rain or storm. Their parents never got mad at either of them, considering neither of their parents ever paid much attention to what they did. Eventually, when Kala set out to be a Pokemon Trainer, he chose her as his starter rather than a traditional one. Upon completion of his first trial, the captain Ilima received word of a region far tougher to beat than Alola or any of the other six. He let the news slip, and Kala and Shizu were hooked. They made it their ultimate goal to conquer the Fortis League, Kala secretly hoping that doing this would get his parents to notice him a bit more - or at all.

Pokemon(Only One):
Dewpider (Female, Name: Shizu)

Region of birth: Alola

Likes(3 things): Watching the sun set over the water (or just any old sunset will do,) swimming, anything spicy (he prefers higher levels of spice - go big or go home!)

Dislikes(3 things): Malasada (no matter how hard he tries, he can never seem to like it that much,) inactivity, having to take off or polish his rings (thanks to the amount of activity he does, he takes them off more than he would like)

Hopefully this is better! Sorry this took so long, again, real life sucks sometimes. If it's still not good, I can still fix it~! ^-^

Approved. Feel free to either have your Character arrive in the current day, and be a few days behind, or make a big starter post explaining what you did during the time leading up to the current time of the RP (Only about two days have passed, so it's not a big deal if you simply start off in Dolus. However, it may take a bit before you're able to interact with other players. ) Thanks a ton for the revision, and I look forward to seeing your character in the RP.

Bam! There's a new kid in town, and his name is Kala Nahesa!

I hope I didn't screw anything up! It's been a while since I've done an RP, kinda trying to get back into the swing of things.

:'|:up:

Bam! There's a new kid in town, and his name is Kala Nahesa!

I hope I didn't screw anything up! It's been a while since I've done an RP, kinda trying to get back into the swing of things.

:'|:up:
Just making sure you know that Dolus is the starting town, and everyone is in the next town over/the forest past Dolus. Not to mention, there are trainers guarding the exit of the city, so make sure you write yourself a way around that. Either pay the 3000P toll, and live off the land in the forest later on, or find some reason you're able to sneak past.

Other than that, it's a good post.

Just to make sure that this is clear, the Pokemon Centers have Pokemarts inside them just like they do in the games. Right now, both Mero, and Itigus are nearby. If you feel like it, post your character's current position in the RP, so that there's no confusion. I'm fairly certain I know where everyone is, but it would be good to double check this. Either way, I'll be making my next post from Itigus's point of view, and I've got an interesting exchange planned.

Merlot's inside the Pokemon Center right now, heading outside. She saw Fenrir, but completely missed Itigus while going inside.

Also, I don't know whether I made it clear in my post or not, but Merlot did just accidentally catch the spinarak that was hanging out in her bag. She placed her newly-bought pokeballs in her purse, and it got caught up in one of them. She doesn't know that she caught her first pokemon yet, though.

Name: Fraser Joule

Appearance: He is a 6ft, lanky, pale white and is fairly built when it comes to muscle. He has dark brown, medium length, curly hair. He wears a black hoodie and a camouflage cap on his head. He also wears jeans and black trainers. He has a wristwatch on his left wrist and he has tattoos covering his right arm. He has a blue backpack, containing all his items.

Personality: Heis a very witty and sarcastic character. He is also quite determined on his goals, despite whatever gets in the way. However, he can quite frustrated at himself when ver he makes a mistake. He is hoping to prove himself in some way.

Backstory: He traveled Sinnoh and Hoenn and challenged the leagues there. However, he got knocked out the first round both times and had been mocked by everyone he comes across for it, for years since. He heard about Fortis and the how much of a brutal challenge it is. He decided that this was his best bet for a fresh start and to prove himself from his failures. He brought along his partner and went straight o the Fortis without a second thought and clueless of what awaited him.

Pokemon(Only One):
Bango the Chimchar

Region of birth:
Sinnoh

I need to catch up on the RP, so I don't really know what's happened so far.

Denied for the most common reason. There is not enough detail in your backstory to suggest you'd be a good edition to the RP. If you edit the post, and put more detail into it, I'll accept it. I also ask that you check your grammar, so things like 'He can quite frustrated at himself when ver he makes a mistake' doesn't happen. I need to see effort put into the application, otherwise I don't have any reason to believe you'd put effort into the RP.

On the subject of the backstory, I have a few gripes with the continuity of it. If your character was completely destroyed at the first part of the other regions, how is it logical to have your character start an even more difficult challenge. It's essentially like failing basic math, and then trying to move on to calculus.

I suggest you rethink your entire application, and read up on a few of the posts in the RP. If you can't do that then this RP is simply not for you. I am here if you want ideas, or inspiration for rewriting your character, but the onus is on you to put in the work.

Also, if our characters, form a traveling group, what could possibly be the way to form it. I know Terrance is a loner, and it seems that with the other characters, they won't have a reason to connect or even interact, without some reason. Is there going to be some kind event that's being planned, involving Mero, to get some kind of mutual hatred of him, or do you have some other thing in mind? Just wondering to see what's upcoming. So far our individual stories only cross over a little bit, as in seeing the other person or even a small interaction, (Xavier and Terrance).
I know that Terrance would have to help out Xavier, if he needs it, causing a possible interaction (due to him owing him), but other then that, i don't see anything else that would imply future interactions.

Hey, in the first post, you said that thier are multiple crime syndicates other than Ingro. Could you explain a few of them?

What I mean by this is that, just like in real life, there are multiple gangs in the same city. However, Ingro is the most powerful, and influential of them. The only reason Ingro allows these divided gangs is so they can commission jobs through them that cannot be traced back to their organization. Feel free to make up some along the way if you want. Most of the fringe gangs don't usually have members who are nearly as powerful as those in Ingro, but some do.

Also, if our characters, form a traveling group, what could possibly be the way to form it. I know Terrance is a loner, and it seems that with the other characters, they won't have a reason to connect or even interact, without some reason. Is there going to be some kind event that's being planned, involving Mero, to get some kind of mutual hatred of him, or do you have some other thing in mind? Just wondering to see what's upcoming. So far our individual stories only cross over a little bit, as in seeing the other person or even a small interaction, (Xavier and Terrance).
I know that Terrance would have to help out Xavier, if he needs it, causing a possible interaction (due to him owing him), but other then that, i don't see anything else that would imply future interactions.

Unfortunately for me, Itigus isn't exactly a character who likes to group up with people. He has a natural distrust because he always grew up around gangs, and seeing people become a victim to pack mentality. People he put his trust in have generally betrayed him, and screwed him over that he's cautious around all people.

However, for me, that doesn't mean Itigus won't occasionally cooperate with other people, he just won't trust them very much. Part of the development for Itigus will be for him to learn to trust people again.

This being said, I don't really have much of a plan to unify everyone. The problem I tend to have with everyone grouping up is that we become reliant on others to post, so that we can continue. If one person doesn't post, or gets busy then the whole thread is put to a halt. I can imagine certain events, such as defending against Team Ingro, being dealt with by all the characters at once. However, I don't really see Itigus in particular travelling with other people.

I personally think it's better to merely have our stories stand on their own, and occasionally overlap. It prevents interaction from becoming stale, and it prevents the other things I previously listed. Like I said, there will definitely be moments, and events where everyone is working together, or in the same general area interacting with something.

I think Jeddy would probably be a good traveling companion for anyone. I know several of you are tough, silent types. Jeddy could be a nice contrast if you wanted to group up. He's not the most formidable combatant, but growing with others would certainly help him unlock his potential.

I think Jeddy would probably be a good traveling companion for anyone. I know several of you are tough, silent types. Jeddy could be a nice contrast if you wanted to group up. He's not the most formidable combatant, but growing with others would certainly help him unlock his potential.

I can imagine Jeddy being like that bard from Monty Python

Unfortunately for me, Itigus isn't exactly a character who likes to group up with people. He has a natural distrust because he always grew up around gangs, and seeing people become a victim to pack mentality. People he put his trust in have generally betrayed him, and screwed him over that he's cautious around all people.

However, for me, that doesn't mean Itigus won't occasionally cooperate with other people, he just won't trust them very much. Part of the development for Itigus will be for him to learn to trust people again.

This being said, I don't really have much of a plan to unify everyone. The problem I tend to have with everyone grouping up is that we become reliant on others to post, so that we can continue. If one person doesn't post, or gets busy then the whole thread is put to a halt. I can imagine certain events, such as defending against Team Ingro, being dealt with by all the characters at once. However, I don't really see Itigus in particular travelling with other people.

I personally think it's better to merely have our stories stand on their own, and occasionally overlap. It prevents interaction from becoming stale, and it prevents the other things I previously listed. Like I said, there will definitely be moments, and events where everyone is working together, or in the same general area interacting with something.
Okay makes sense, just didn't know the plan.

Honestly, I think Jeddy would be the most likely person Xavier would interact with. Also, I'm going to be posting again tonight or tomorrow morning.

Honestly, I think Jeddy would be the most likely person Xavier would interact with. Also, I'm going to be posting again tonight or tomorrow morning.

Gotcha, looking forward to it. I'll be posting from both of my character's perspectives by labeling them like I've been doing. You guys can expect a post from both Itigus, and Mero today.

I feel like Terrance would end up losing pretty bad, somewhere along the line. I might have him get demolished on his gym challenge or to a wild Pokémon. What im trying to do is have terrance who thinks he's king of the world get knocked down. I want him in the situation where he wants to give up. To try to get the death and rebirth thing going on from the Epic Story Cycle. I'm not sure exactly but that's my basic idea.

Also, involving badges. Do losses carry over form gym to gym. Like if he loses to the first gym once, and then loses to the second gym once, does he have two losses or just one on his card.

I feel like Terrance would end up losing pretty bad, somewhere along the line. I might have him get demolished on his gym challenge or to a wild Pokémon. What im trying to do is have terrance who thinks he's king of the world get knocked down. I want him in the situation where he wants to give up. To try to get the death and rebirth thing going on from the Epic Story Cycle. I'm not sure exactly but that's my basic idea.

Also, involving badges. Do losses carry over form gym to gym. Like if he loses to the first gym once, and then loses to the second gym once, does he have two losses or just one on his card.

The system works in the sense that you can't lose to the same gym three times in a row. Each gym as its own counter for the number of losses. In other words, losses do not carry over.

I do like the idea of Terrance becoming humbled, although he hasn't shown many narcissistic, or selfish qualities at the moment. I think the build up to his fall is much more important that the fall itself. If I were to give you my advice, I would say to have Terrance display these destructive qualities, and eventually meeting the consequences of them, and having to learn how to keep himself humble. It could happen during the first gym, or it could happen in the other gyms to come. Either way, what's most important is how you build it up, and establish it as a flaw. In real life, flaws only catch up to a person when they are placed in an environment in which their strengths are not sufficient enough to make up for their shortcomings.

Someone could be the smartest in one room, and the dumbest in another. It's when one is the dumbest in the room that they are forced to take a look at their flaws.

I think that Jeddy, Terrence, and Xavier are all near where Itigus is entering the forest to train. If Merlot follows, that's almost everybody. You guys can feel free to use Jeddy however you need to develop your story. He's just humming and whistling along with his Noibat and Kricketot.

What I mean by this is that, just like in real life, there are multiple gangs in the same city. However, Ingro is the most powerful, and influential of them. The only reason Ingro allows these divided gangs is so they can commission jobs through them that cannot be traced back to their organization. Feel free to make up some along the way if you want. Most of the fringe gangs don't usually have members who are nearly as powerful as those in Ingro, but some do.
I just wanted to know, because I was planning to have an encounter with one of the smaller gangs sooner or later. I guess Xavier would form a kinda rivalry with them, and could use them for character development.

Ry_Burst. By my calculations, you should only have 500P, or potentially 700P if you sold the Pokeball(Which you never mentioned).

Sorry forgot he had to buy the trainer card. He kept the pokeball, but i forgot to put it in the bag list, so he should have 500P left. Sorry for the inconvenience. Math hurts. Also i was planning on him to not by the trainer card, just yet, and steal about 500P, but i changed that as i typed up my post.

Last edited:
I've been doing some amateur spriting for the RP. Let me know what you guys think. Jeydis from the Creative Corner made Jeddy's jacket and glasses. Dreiki himself contributed much of Itigus' head and clothing. However, the other custom work is my own. If you guys want me to give your characters a try, feel free to message me. I like to practice.

Jeddy:
Jeddy2.png

Itigus:
Itigus_Ajax.png

Murum Gym Leader Dro:
Leader_Dro.png

Okay, I really want to apologize to everyone if my character has seemed a little wishy-washy or something like that. It's not like Merlot is a main character that I use for everything- I made her up just for this RP and, after the first few posts, I became uncertain about how to portray her. I've kind of just been making crap up as I go along until I figured her out a bit more. This is also my first RP on this website; not to mention my first RP in, like, two years. However, as I was writing my last post, I've decided on some things about her past that helps to develop her a bit better. I have also figured out what I am going to do to evolve her later on, though I don't think it will happen until about the middle of the RP- maybe mid-end.

Similar to above, I'm sorry if Xavier seems a bit static throughout this RP. I'm planning on using him as my main Rp character, so he's not going to change quite a bit without spanning a few RPs.

I have a question about the league. I already know that, if a trainer loses three gym battles at the same gym, they have to release their Pokemon. You've also said that a trainer can compete in the league without all eight badges. I was thinking about Merlot trying to find a loophole around releasing her Pokemon- basically only competing against the gym twice and moving on to the next gym if she fails, skipping that badge rather than risking her Pokemon's release. Also, near the mid-end of the journey, I want her to stop being a trainer for a while for dramatic circumstances that I want to happen later (if you want more info on what that event will be, I can PM you- it'll basically be her personal evolution into a likeable character). I wanted to know whether or not, if she takes a break from being a trainer, goes home, and starts to look into other professions later on (even though she still has her trainer card and all her Pokemon), she can still be allowed to compete in the league. (I feel like this explanation was longer than it needed to be, but also not long enough...)

I have a question about the league. I already know that, if a trainer loses three gym battles at the same gym, they have to release their Pokemon. You've also said that a trainer can compete in the league without all eight badges. I was thinking about Merlot trying to find a loophole around releasing her Pokemon- basically only competing against the gym twice and moving on to the next gym if she fails, skipping that badge rather than risking her Pokemon's release. Also, near the mid-end of the journey, I want her to stop being a trainer for a while for dramatic circumstances that I want to happen later (if you want more info on what that event will be, I can PM you- it'll basically be her personal evolution into a likeable character). I wanted to know whether or not, if she takes a break from being a trainer, goes home, and starts to look into other professions later on (even though she still has her trainer card and all her Pokemon), she can still be allowed to compete in the league. (I feel like this explanation was longer than it needed to be, but also not long enough...)

Do feel free to PM me the details. As for the loophole, and what not. I suppose you could take the gym challenge, and then only fight the gyms that you haven't lost to. Although, it should be known that the only other way to get into the league is to win a massive amount of battles in the preliminary league. Top 16 make it, but about 16000 apply, and try to win from across the world. Essentially, you need to win 10 matches without loss. It's essentially the league's way of finding any extra hidden gems. It's also their way of filling the roster, considering the low amount of trainers that actually beat all eight gym leaders.

However, it's not much of a loophole seeing as all the gym leaders of the region have the same relative power. Although, the one everyone saves until last is considered the most difficult. That being said, skipping a gym, and going back to it would only allow the gym leader to use more of their power. Even though Dro usually fights at his weakest, he still has teams that are ready for trainers with varying degrees of badges.

is it Too Late To Join?
Name: Soras

Appearance: Black Hoodie, Brown Hair, Grey Joggers, Black Trainers, Peachy Skin, Orange Eyes, Red Scarf

Personality: Mostly kind, But Is One Of Many Strong Trainers From Kanto, With His Unpredictable Strategies, Battling Him Gives You A BAD TIME, Can Be Serious And Hates People Who Hurt Others

Backstory: When He Was 2, His Dad Went missing, Only Leaving Dunsparce As A Gift, He Used Dunsparce to Help Find His Dad, And Was 2nd In The Kanto, Johto and Kalos leagues, Came 3rd In The Hoenn League, And 4th in the Sinnoh League, He Lost In each League To A Boy Named Blaze, Who Doesn't Treat ANYONE with Respect.

Pokemon(Only One): Dunsparce With Some Anger Issues

Region of birth: Kanto

*Optional*
Likes(3 things): Battling, Eating, Winning

Dislikes(3 things): Losing, Boredom, Bad People

Last edited:
is it Too Late To Join?
Name: Soras

Appearance: Black Hoodie, Brown Hair, Grey Joggers, Black Trainers, Peachy Skin, Orange Eyes, Red Scarf

Personality: Mostly kind, But Is One Of Many Strong Trainers From Kanto, With His Unpredictable Strategies, Battling Him Gives You A BAD TIME, Can Be Serious And Hates People Who Hurt Others

Backstory: When He Was 2, His Dad Went missing, Only Leaving Dunsparce As A Gift, He Used Dunsparce to Help Find His Dad, And Was 2nd In The Kanto, Johto and Kalos leagues, Came 3rd In The Hoenn League, And 4th in the Sinnoh League

Pokemon(Only One): Dunsparce With Some Anger Issues

Region of birth: Kanto

*Optional*
Likes(3 things): Battling, Eating, Winning

Dislikes(3 things): Losing, Boredom, Bad People

It isn't too late to join however I'm going to have to deny you on the grounds that there is not nearly enough detail here to suggest you'd be a good edition to the RP.