• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

First Time Through Hoenn

Corion

Formerly Stewie
As Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire near the game release date, I started thinking about the first time I completed my Hoenn adventure. So here is the question. Do you remember the first time your team beat the elite four in Ruby, Sapphire, or perhaps Emerald? If you can't remember, think of your most recent run/most memorable.

Remakes rule.
tumblr_n5fhoozUnU1rfsroyo1_250.png

Artwork used with authors permission:
http://kirlikea.tumblr.com/post/85458280314/same-here-kyogre

i chose treeko as my starter but after a while i got rayquaza. i tried to beat the elite 4 with it but glacias walrein destroyed my team. now im training at victory road

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
My actual first time through Hoenn was kind of an enormous clusterfuck - as I was stumbling blindly through a Japanese ROM of Sapphire and studying the movesets of the then-new Pokémon alongside several others as part of the Turquoise Tavern's gen 3 Cryptidex. I remember running with a really silly team of Grovyle, Linoone, Swellow, Absol, Flygon and Walrein (there were a few of us running through the things and we each picked a few species to catalogue and document) and that dealing with Trapinch was beyond frustrating because of how slow it was to level. I can't quite remember much about the league challenge from the time - aside from the fact that god DAMNIT, Steven, got enough Full Restores there? Seriously, he seemed to have like a limitless supply of the things and he kept using them on his Metagross every time i managed to grind it to just enough low health to have a chance of actually beating him and the amount of savestating i had to do was kind of fantastic. XD

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I played Pokemon Ruby first, then Emerald, although by the time I played the 3rd Gen games Gen VI was almost out xD I started with Treecko and really, really adored Sceptile. My E4 team consisted of Sceptile, Swellow, Manectric, Flygon, Camerupt and Sableye. (The copy of Emerald I bought had the previous owners save on it, which I abused and got my Sableye from!) :D

I enjoyed getting all the contest ribbons and searching for Feebas, even though at the time it was the biggest nightmare ever!

However, my most memorable moment from Hoenn has to be the first time I saw this guy:

Spr_3r_310.png

For reasons unknown to even myself, this electric doggy dethroned my childhood favourite Charizard and instantly became my most loved Pokemon: a title Manectric still holds to this day ♥

Honestly, it's a bit fuzzy. I don't recall every single detail about my first official journey through Hoenn. This is just the scattered fragments of memory that I have been able to gather so far.

I very clearly remember picking Treecko as my starter. It was my favorite of the three Hoenn starters then, and it remains so to this very day. As for other Pokemon, I caught a Taillow and Wingull to be a part of my team. Then I caught a dozen Wurmples that I never even bothered to raise because of my mentality at the time being "ugh level grinding sux," or something like that.

Being the age of 7-8 and playing the main Pokemon games for the first time, I kind of stumbled through the game, without a single clue as to what I should be doing. (I also kept looking for Shadow Pokemon, but of course, I failed to encounter one.) I caught a Shroomish, an Electrike, and an Aron along the way. When I got stuck trying to beat the third Gym, I spent way too much time running around while Shroomish and Electrike sat in the Day-Care, until I had two Level 35-37 Pokemon(still in their basic stages) that I used to beat Wattson through sheer over-leveling.

I do not recall much after that, except putting Aron in the Day Care as well. Then I got to Winoma. I could not beat her because of that *insert foul word of your choice here* Altaria. Then I pulled Aron out of the Day Care at Level 38, leveled it once to evolve it, and narrowly defeated Winoma. Skipping ahead to the section of the game where Surfing is required to go anywhere, I trained Breeloom, Manectric, and Lairon(soon to be Aggron) while leaving my other Pokemon as they were(yes, that includes Sceptile, who never increased a single level after evolving, for some reason that probably had to do with laziness). I defeated the remaining Gym Leaders, got through all the story events, and made it to Ever Grande City.

Victory Road, the final stretch...and my ultimate downfall. After wandering around the dark maze for hours, fighting off all wild Pokemon and Trainers with my overpowered Level 54 Aggron, I finally got fed up and quit after Aggron fainted. And because I did not know how to internet yet, I had no access to a guide of any sort, and I restarted the game. Yep, that's right, I never finished my first play through.

Now, this may sound a little sad, but it actually helped me learn how to play the game. I learned not to over level one Pokemon and to keep a balanced team. I improved in the puzzle-solving field, allowing me to actually get through Victory Road in my second play through, without the use of a guide. It also had a side effect: it saved the end of the game and the post-game features for another time, thus giving me a reason to play again. And when I did, I decided that I wished to continue playing the Pokemon games. So even though I didn't beat the game on my first adventure, it led to my eventual love for the Pokemon games as a whole. So, I still look back on this adventure fondly! :)

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
The day I started Sapphire I had no idea what to expect. The only new Pokemon I was aware of were Kyogre and Groudon from the covers and Kecleon because I just so happened to catch an episode of the Anime starring them (at this point I had already given up watching the show). My first hurdle was choosing my starter. Which tradition would I keep alive? In Blue and Silver I had picked Squirtle and Totodile so would I pick Treeko and continue the trend of reptiles or would I go Water with Mudkip? I chose Mudkip.

Up until Roxanne's Gym, the only Pokemon I was encountering were the new Hoenn Pokemon so I mistakenly believed this game didn't have any of the old ones, something that was really exciting to me at the time. Then I saw Geodude and became disappointed. It was at that time I made the decision that I would not catch any old Pokemon, only the new stuff. The basis for that being I had already raised the old Mons in previous games and if I couldn't have all 251 of the old ones I didn't want to bother. Bare in mind this was March 2003 when there was no reason for me to expect FRLG or any other means of availability of those missing Pokemon.

Sometime between getting my fourth and fifth badge I picked up the RS Guidebook which had a complete walkthrough of the game and a full Pokedex of all 200 Pokemon thus spoiling everything I hadn't learned up to this point. But I was fine with that since it would become necessary for my endeavors.

Obtaining Feebas was all kinds of irony for me. I spent hours on and off scouring Route 119 looking for one to no avail. My brother finds one on his first try and catches a whole box full. :| At least he was kind enough to trade me a Modest one I could evolve. Latias just sort of happened for me. I knew she was out there somewhere but I never had to seek her out. She appeared to me on Route 110 while I was grinding and since I had been saving my Master Ball for her specifically the deal was done.

Sapphire was also the first game I used a GameShark on. :x I only used it to accomplish what I couldn't achieve on my own that is to say obtain Jirachi and Deoxys. I also attempted the Eon Ticket but it didn't work. With assistance from my brother's Ruby and my eventual Emerald, I was able to finish the game with 202 Pokemon seen and 135 Pokemon owned. Yes, I did stick to that maniacal proclamation. :p

Jhan Garc

Formerly AkenabeShiro
The first time i beat the E4 was in Sapphire. As the female trainer,wich i named Katrina,i picked Treecko as my starter. I didn't had a Legendary in my team at the time,nor i remember the other Pokemon on my team.

I remember playing a japanese ROM of sapphire when it first came out, I found a shiny cascoon right at the beginning, which was terribly exciting. But I was so underleveled trying to train a team of five-- I think it was grovyle, taillow, mightyena, kirlia, and aron. Anyway I got stuck on the electric gym, I think, and I just couldn't progress. Once the english versions came out, though, I very enthusiastically played through multiple times on ROMs and then on real carts when I got a GBA at last.

I haven't beaten it yet but I loved playing it on GBA4ios, I chose mudkip and named it conra
I only got up to the 2-3 gym but conra evolved into marshtomp

but now I can't beat due to the games requiring the date to be at least july 15, 2013, and my mom's phone not allowing that....:(

Last edited by a moderator:
POKEMON SAPP 1.png

Yep, here it is-- although, looking at my trainer card, it looks like I did manage to beat the third gym, but I guess it was just such a pain that I let it go until RS came out in english.
POKEMON SAPP 2.png

And here's that shiny mfker.

Looking at my team's natures now that I have the resources to translate the japanese is pretty telling, Kirlia was Adamant, Mightyena was Quiet, Grovyle was Sassy, and Swellow was Rash-- just a total fustercluck of natures all around.

Well, if my memoty serves me well...
Sceptile
Swellow
Mightyena
Dustox
Armaldo
Aggron

I didn't nickname them, or remember the natures.
But the Aggron was shiny, that I do remember.

AzureEdge

✧luzrov rulay✧
The first time I beat the elite four was in Pokemon emerald.
If I remember correctly (it took me forever to beat Wallace) it was...
Swampert
Gardevoir
Wailord
Magneton
Mighteyana
Hariyama
I don't remember their natures at all.