• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

First Competitive Gen 5 Attempt.

Testing some pokemon over on Pokemon Online. This is what I am currently running, since this is for a simulator everything can be changed, though I would prefer keeping the pokemon species I have unless there is a major oversight on my part.

I have not played for competitive in quite some time so feel free to destroy my ego :D

Search-BulbagardenArchives-MozillaFirefox_2.jpg

Archeops @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
Defeatist Ability
EVs: 252 Atk and 252 Speed

- Rock slide/Stone edge
- Aerial Ace
- U-Turn
- Crunch

Got an Archeops for my Black normal run but found it to be an interesting lead in game. Decided to give him a try for online. High attack lets him leave a pretty big dent on anything slower even with something like U-turn. I am considering Taunt but that may require an item change.

CategoryPokmonDreamWorldartwork-BulbagardenArchives-MozillaFirefox_2.jpg

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
Water Absorb Ability
EVs - 252 HP, 152 Def, 100 Sp. Def

- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Taunt

A growing favorite of mine here. Been toying around with the IVs and nature a lot since I don't normally do split for sponges like him but its been working out quite well.

PrtScrcapture.jpg

Miltank @ Rugged Helmet
Careful Nature
Scrappy Ability
EVs - 252 HP, 252 Def and 4 sp. Def

- Curse
- Milk Drink
- Healing Bell
- Body Slam

A great classic in my teams. I honestly am loving Rugged helmet on her, makes stalling alot easier with milk drink.

CategoryPokmonDreamWorldartwork-BulbagardenArchives-MozillaFirefox.jpg

Emboar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
Reckless Ability
EVs 252 Atk, 100 HP and 152 Speed. or 252 HP and 252 Atk

- Flameblitz
- Head Smash
- Wild Bolt
- Earthquake

Ganon SMASH! Been experimenting a lot with this guy and found this to be my favorite set up. Just smashes through the opposition with some crazy attack dmg. Been looking into doing 252 atk and 252 speed as well but I kind like the bit of bulk.

Search-BulbagardenArchives-MozillaFirefox.jpg

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell
Relaxed Nature
Iron Barbs Ability
EVs 252 HP, 252 S. Def

- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip/Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed

After hearing about this monster I had to give it a try. And I must say im impressed. I don't normally like Steel types much but this guy is really impressive. Currently going with Power Whip but may change to Rapid spin since I don't have any others with it.

CategoryPokmonDreamWorldartwork-BulbagardenArchives-MozillaFirefox_3.jpg

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature
Compound eyes Ability
EVs 252 Sp. Atk and 252 Speed

- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Volt Switch

Speedy all-star from my play though Ive adapted her moveset to for competitive. Testing out Volt switch and loving it though may consider getting some sort of HP there.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Let's get started then:

- Archeops isn't that hot at the Choice Scarf job actually due to his Defeatist ability and weakness to Stealth Rock, although he can manage it to some extent (and I stress "some.") Flying Gem Acrobatics is by far the most popular set for Archeops, but I'll play along with your Scarf set. Aerial Ace can go right away for Earthquake since non-STAB Earthquake is more powerful than STAB Aerial Ace and provides better coverage. Rock Slide is better than Stone Edge here since Archeops can't afford to have Stone Edge miss ever.

- Jellicent has no business using Taunt. Taunt belongs on fast Pokemon and sweepers, not on slow walls (PLEASE REMEMBER THIS FACT, ANYONE ELSE READING THIS!) Since you have Toxic on there already, Hex is begging for a slot over the useless Taunt.

- Miltank's actually a physical wall, not a special wall. Regardless, Miltank won't be stalling any of the top threats with any decent effect - it lacks the stats to block boosted offense from the likes of Excadrill, Haxorus or Garchomp (especially with no Defense training,) and any special attacker would crush Miltank as well even with Sp.Defense training. Body Slam, Heal Bell and Milk Drink are good though and can stay. Oh, by the way...NO ITEM CLAUSE ANYMORE!

- Flame Charge Flame Charge FLAME CHARGE! Flame Charge Emboar can outspeed a huge number of opponents after just a single boost with speed training and Jolly nature, and this is the key to making Emboar nasty. Wild Charge and Head Smash work very well with Reckless, and using Flare Blitz and Flame Charge on the same set isn't actually as bad an idea as it would seem despite sacrificing Fighting STAB for it. That said, Brick Break or Arm Thrust (NOT HAMMER ARM) will work for Fighting STAB to provide something a little different to your set (as well as a move that won't kill you when you use it.)

- Ferrothorn can't learn Rapid Spin so that option's not available. Hell, take off Rapid Spin from that moveset and...well, you've got yourself a set.

- TIMID. All fast sweepers must have a Speed-boosting nature, it is absolutely mandatory in this day and age where the fastest sweepers win. Otherwise, your set is fine - Hidden Power Ice would kick ass on here too mind, as would Fighting to smack down Tyranitar. Also, Sash + Volt Switch is a horrid combination due to entry hazards, which brings me to my final summary...

...you don't have a Rapid Spinner and two of your team members are, right now, extremely vulnerable to Stealth Rock damage. I'd advise either reworking their movesets to remove this vulnerability, or changing some of your team members. Finally, your current team setup suffers a rather glaring vulnerability to Garchomp sweeps - if Miltank is hurt, there's a distinct possibility a Garchomp could destroy your entire team after a single Swords Dance. Check my Clinic article on the news page for more information on Garchomp and other high-level threats this generation - you need to be ready for each and every one of them to do well.

Alrighty thanks KoL! Informative as always. Corrected the EVs on Miltank its in Def not Special Def.

Ill review, oddly enough ive only faced one garchomp atm and it was a very bad one that my miltank tookdown without issue. I do find I want an ice attack though somewhere for other dragon threats.

Hmm really thought Ferro could learn Rapid spin with that body shape.\

Really have to look into getting a spinner for this.

PS: For Archeops I didnt really factor in SR threat since its to be used as a lead for the most part. Agreed with Rock slide though ill keep that for sure.

Hmm Revising the team a bit now. I still cant find a rapid spinner for the team though, not a whole lot of choices that dont add to my weaknesses.

Here is the revised:

Archeops@Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
Defeatist Ability
EVs: 252 Atk and 252 Speed

- Rock slide
- Earthquake
- U-Turn
- Crunch

Been loving EQ worked out every well against the few bulky leads ive seen around. Also catches the couple electric types trying to clip his wings.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
Water Absorb Ability
EVs - 252 HP, 152 Def, 100 Sp. Def

- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Hex

Completely overlooked Hex, been adoring it ever since though. Thanks for that KoL.

Miltank @ Rugged Helmet
Careful Nature
Scrappy Ability
EVs - 252 HP, 252 Def and 4 sp. Def

- Curse
- Milk Drink
- Healing Bell
- Body Slam

Kept it the same been testing it out alot and she has been able to take hits from most threats on both sides of the spectrum quite well. And given a couple turns gets to be quite the sweeper depending on the opponents.

Emboar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
Reckless Ability
EVs 252 Atk, 100 HP and 152 Speed. or 252 HP and 252 Atk

- Flame Charge
- Head Smash
- Wild Bolt
- Brick Break

Not sure why I even had EQ there in the first place. Working alot better with Brick Break.

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell
Relaxed Nature
Iron Barbs Ability
EVs 255 HP, 255 S. Def

- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed

Since I cant find a rapid spinner that doesn't add to my weaknesses too much im sticking with him for now.

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
Compound eyes Ability
EVs 255 Sp. Atk and 255 Speed

- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- HP Ice

Now blasts dragons woo!

Been working alot better, SR still gives me some issues but its manageable.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Emboar still wants Jolly to make the most of Flame Charge. Besides that you're A-OK.