• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

favourite bug-type

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Aaaaaaand there we go. ANOTHER "Favorite X-type" thread. However as Bug-types are among my absolute favorites, this one I can get behind.

As ever - also list reasons, not just Pokémon. We want intelligent discussion, not SPAM.

In no particular order:

Larvesta and Volcarona

These two became instant favorites of mine the moment I saw them. The design alone would have become a favorite - fuzzy solar caterpillar evolving into a regal, majestic solar seraph moth, six-wings somewhat resembling flower petals with sunspots (if Mega Volcarona is ever a thing it seriously needs solar-flare-inspired traily bits) and some lovely contrasting hues that somehow blend in together into a really lovely color scheme is very much eeee-inducing. The type combination as well as the stats and attacks certainly helped too - and the lore inspired such powerful mental images in my mind that it is not surprising that it became one of my top favorite Pokémon of all times.

Joltik and Galvantula

Anyone who knows me knows that I am immensely fond of spiders and consider them to be some of the most adorable creatures on this planet - and Pokémon was direly lacking in that department. Sure, we had Spinarak and Ariados - which are adorable on their own right but sort of fall into a rather lacklustre early game Bug/Poison category. So when Galvantula was first hinted, then revealed, I was ecstatic. And then Joltik happened and... Yeah. They're made of cute, they kick ass, and they represent a different class of spiders than Spinarak/Ariados (specifically, active-hunter type spiders as opposed to web-lurking types). And of course, they bring the awesome Compound Eyes + Thunder combination into the fray... Yup. Instant faves right there.

Scyther

Certainly my favorite bug of the first generation, Scyther speaks volumes to me - mostly on account of being green and having armblades, but also on account of blending the arthropod, dinosaurian and anthropomorphic together into a lovely mixture. Of course, Technician makes it even better.

You may have noticed I've not mentioned Scizor. It's not that I dislike Sciz - I am actually quite fond of it! - I just don't feel like it particularly belongs as an evolution of Scyther. I feel it should have been a standalone Pokémon, honestly. But I guess they had to show off Item/Trade evos in gen 2 and... that happened. Ah well.

Heracross

Bug/Fighting is a good type combination. A VERY good type combination. And though in Generation 2 it was much less useful, Heracross became an absolute godsend in later gens, particularly in HG/SS (where it made Whitney's Miltank not-a-threat to pretty incredible levels. Also it's pretty damn adorable. Just saying.

Scolipede

Lemme just say that Unova was seriously awesome to bug-types, and hidden abilities make some of them even more amazing. Speed Boost is one hell of an ability, and coupled with a species like Scolipede... Can we get a hell yes? Thought so. All hail the centipede-horse. xD

Leavanny

Another lovely Unova species with a type combination I truly love and some of my favorite moves - even if it is not exactly the most viable. I'd love to see where a mega evolution takes it.

Paras and Parasect

Paras is adorable. Parasect is a glorious fscking tank. They have the same type combination as Leavanny. They're also favorites.

Honestly, there's a lot of species I absolutely love and these are just a set of top favorites . Bug-types are just great, okay? xD

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Vivillon: Anyone who knows me will know that Vivillon is one of my favorite Pokemon, only topped by 4 other 'mons. I love all the variations and it's just an adorable littlw thing... who can destroy worlds. Compound Eyes with Sleep Powder/Quiver Dance/Hurricane? Please sign me up.

Larvesta/Volcarona: I find Larvesta absolutely adorable and cuddly and I'd totally want one in real life. Volcarona is just badass both competitively and design-wise.

Venomoth: one of the first bug types I've ever loved, and still do. It'll always have a special place in my heart~

I realize that my favorites are all lepidopterids. This is by no means a coincidence XD (moths and butterflies are my favorite animals, after all~)

Rinoa Heartilly

Mother of Meltans
Eiiii~!! Okayokayokay, here is my list and why.
One simple reason. LOOK AT THESE CUTIES! ♥

123MS.png
212MS.png
167MS.png
168MS.png
595MS.png
596MS.png

010MS.png
165MS.png
166MS.png
048MS.png
413SMS.png
637MS.png

Amg, I love them for pretty much every reason ever.
They're just amazing. All of these bugs are my BFFs.

The bug-type is one of my favorite types! I'd say that my favorites are Butterfree, Mothim, Venomoth, and Spinarak. I like them solely on appearance, honestly. They are just wall so, so cute! :love:

Galvantula- Has two of my favorite types and already used about four of them.
Accelgor- Well worth it to get one, trust me.
Scolipede- Great design and movepool.
Scizor- Well needed evolution from Scyther.

Last edited:
I think that my favorite bug pokemon (real bugs are just nope nope NOPE) would have to be Galvantula, Scyther, and Vivillon. Galvantula most of all though. Not everyday I find find a bug I'd go out of my what to have in my line-up.