• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Exceeding the standards

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
This is the team I'm going to build and use here sometime in the future... maybe.. you people know how I am by now. This team has no particular theme to it, just thrown together from pokemon I like [and trying to break my heavy reliance on Smeargle]. This team is tailored to work on smogon, so I don't expect it to excel here at first, but I will work it up with time :)

Suggestions and criticism are invited, in particular from everyone who has taken part in the league this time around.

Blastoise @ Lum Berry
Modest Nature
Torrent Ability
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Fake Out
EVs: Max HP/Sp. Attack

Built to survive against and nullify the efforts of most leads while not actually directly countering them. Water is a decent defensive type and Blastoise has solid defense and offense with it trained how I have it. Being slow isn't a problem since Blastoise can shrug off status effects while being entirely unaffected by Taunt.
Surf and Ice Beam Power and coverage, simply put. This leaves me a bit open to Gyarados from the get-go, but no lead is perfect or everyone would be using it.
Rapid Spin to slap fast set-up pokemon in face with their own hazards on the turn they set them up.
Fake Out will rid opposing pokemon of any advantage a Focus Sash would give them without costing me anything. I've also used it to scout for choice items to a small extent.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
Inner Focus
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Heal Bell
- Roost
EVs: HP and Special Defense

Very careful indeed, and is the crux of this team [as psuedo-legendary pokemon often are]. Copied directly from smogon without any shame, I've loved the idea of this set since I first laid eyes on it. I used to have a Tyranitar that functioned similarly - Dragon Dance with no attack or speed investment, but rather leftovers and the bulk to nearly guarantee I set it up.
Dragon Claw is resisted by steel types and only steel types. Backed with Dragon Dance, STAB and no downside in the form of inaccuracy or confusion, I'd say it makes the best choice of an offensive move.
Dragon Dance makes up for what the EV training lacks. I get plenty of time to set up multiple dances up given the set, nature and EVs.
Heal Bell not only protects dragonite, but heals all of his comrades should they have been hit with a status effect.
Roost heals removes flying from Dragonite's typing, lessening the ice weakness and completely removing the rock one. Given the EVs, Dragonite can actually outstall most Ice Beam-using Pokemon with Roost.. even setting up Dragon Dance during the process.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Naive Nature
Magnet Pull
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass, Fire or Ice, listed in order of preference]
- Reflect
- Substitute
EVs: 40 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 216 Speed

Aids both Dragonite and Gengar greatly by trapping and removing Steel types from play [most notably Scizor]. EVs give enough speed to outpace a fully speed trained Adamant Scizor by two points, a little bit of bulk and as much power as possible without sacrificing the speed I require. All in all, I worry how well Magnezone will fare against a team with no steel types in it.
Thunderbolt STAB and most effective attack against opposing steel types.
Hidden Power Grass to defend itself against incoming ground types, especially Rhyperior and Swampert. Fire will allow it to more quickly dispose of the steel types it's meant to counter, but will leave Magnezone extremely vulnerable after KOing said steel type. Ice is my last choice because it serves no purpose except general coverage... and this isn't really a general purpose build. Hidden Power will be very annoying to breed, so I may have to settle for what I get :(
Reflect Aids in the ability to counter Scizor and Metagross in particular, boosting Magnezone's already respectable defense to an even higher level. If Magnezone is unexpectedly KO'd, whatever I send in next will be that much more likely to succeed as well.
Substitute is especially useful with Reflect up, and otherwise allows me to defend myself for one turn after I've finished off whatever steel type Magnezone was facing.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
Levitate
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Trick
EVs: Full Sp. Atk and Speed

STAB and coverage combined with Trick to cripple set-up pokemon. Gengar and Mamoswine are typically my choices to send in after a Double-KO [Explosion, etc.]. I don't think there's any need to detail each individual move here.

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
Snow Cloak
- Ice Shard
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Superpower
EVs: Full HP and Attack

Two different Ice Attacks because I can't decide between them and don't like Stone Edge. Earthquake makes for a powerful move with reliable accuracy, but is risky with a choice item equipped. Superpower has similar risk and power, but different coverage.

Torkoal @ Shuca Berry
Relaxed Nature
White Smoke
- Lava Plume
- Earthquake / Earth Power
- Yawn
- Stealth Rock
EVs: Full HP and Split attacks, or full special attack depending on ground move

A bit of a filler - I wanted a pokemon that could be defensively bulky, own a fire attack and also set up Stealth Rock when given the chance. Torkoal fit the bill on all aspects.
Lava Plume has a high chance of burning my opponent with respectable power given STAB
Earthquake / Earth Power give me coverage against other fire types, with the choice between the two attacks left in the air until I can decide which I need more. Torkoal doesn't really need extra attacking power and the split training hasn't hurt its primary use yet.
Stealth Rock gets set up after Yawn has been used mainly, but may be used whenever I get the chance without it. I'm not overly reliant on Stealth Rock [especially with this team] but it's nice to have to prevent switching battle stalemates.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
This team's certainly gotten my interest since last night:

- Blastoise is a kick-ass toolbox, but you already knew that. Gyarados is an issue for you, as you said, but there's not really a whole lot you can do about him here without making the set function worse against everything else, for the most part. You may find yourself in a bit of a slug-fest against Swampert and Machamp here with Blastoise, and if your opponent comes out on top you've just lost your Spinner, so I'd make like Dragonite and be careful if it feels like your opponent's lead is likely to best Blastoise. A physical variation of this set could also work, using a combination of moves like Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Earthquake, Avalanche etc. which would also boost your Fake Out's power with Attack training.

- Dragonite kicks ass too, and this set is no different, since it's all-but immune to the majority of the methods used to take down Dragon Dancers. Way I see it, Roar/Whirlwind and Taunt will be this Dragonite's worst enemies, and I'd also be careful of your opponent attempting to stall your set out as well, since Draggy will be very severely disarmed if Dragon Claw's PP drops to zero (Taunt + Stall would be the only real way to accomplish this, but it isn't unheard of.) Stuff like Lucario and Scizor may attempt to use you as set-up bait too if they figure out your only attack is Dragon Claw, and if your opponent happens to be rather gutsy - good job the next guy can help put a stop to that.

- Maggy looks very nice, actually. Magnet Rise's ability to completely wall certain adversaries isn't to be underestimated here, and Magnezone is the only Pokemon who really gets any decent use out of it - I'd try and find a space for it if you can, since it'd make Swampert much less of a problem and lessen the absolute need for HP Grass, if you ever breed this guy.

- I need not comment on Gengar, since he speaks for himself and I recommended that set to you beforehand anyway. :p

- Body Slam's a fun choice for Mamoswine if para-hax would help out your team members (Magnezone may appreciate it,) otherwise Mamoswine's all good.

- I'd be interested to see how Torkoal would fare in the lead slot here, but Blastoise would probably do better regardless. I'd keep Torkoal safe though if you can - he can quite comfortably stop Pokemon like Weavile and most physical attacking Steel-types dead in their tracks, and Shuca Berry could let you give Heatran a beat-down as well.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Considered an Aqua Jet variant of Blastoise, and would give more room to specialize Torkoal to the special attacking side. Extra priority is always nice, as well as the boost to an already unexpected Fake Out. Will swap around for more tests later tonight :)

If I get HP Fire over HP Grass, I will almost certainly use Magnet Rise - Scizor will be OHKO'd by HP Fire, and if it's wielding an Occa Berry, will lack the power to OHKO Magnezone with even Superpower. Superpower is also not nearly so common on non-choice sets.

Dragonite toppled nearly every stall available last night while I was testing. Against each stall, he also managed to set up enough Dragon Dances to topple the rest of the team afterwards. His list of kills include two variants of Spiritomb [Toxic/WoW/Pain Split and Spite/Protect/Pain Split], a surprise stall Heatran [Torment, Protect, Substitute, Lava Plume].