• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Electivire vs Flygon

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
That is the question: Who would prove superior? Or at least, who would prove better with a Choice Scarf...

Electivire @ Choice Scarf
Adamant
Motor Drive

- ThunderPunch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Cross Chop

VS

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Naughty
Levitate

- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn

Here's how the two measure up:

- Flygon has 30 more Speed than Electivire does with the Scarves on, although both go over 400 Speed regardless. 'Vire does however have Motor Drive to make itself faster though.

- Electivire's coverage lets it hit 13 out of 17 types for super-effective damage, which beats Flygon's 12 out of 17 from its coverage. However, Electivire's "bolt-beam-esque" coverage is very, very similar to Starmie's, who is also in the team. Flygon's coverage, however, is completely unique to itself.

- Electivire has around 55 more Attack than Flygon does, but Flygon gets stronger moves to compensate for it somewhat.

- Both fit in perfectly with the rest of the team, so that isn't an issue here.

The question is, which of these pair would work better in your opinion? I personally am having trouble picking one over the other for my team, and so I'm asking what everyone else thinks. Note that neither of these sets is to be changed in any way, shape or form - they stay as is, no questions asked.

Thanks in advance for any help given. :p

Both Pokemon seem just about even to me. Flygon's higher speed means that it can hit faster with EQ or Outrage, both of which he gets STAB for, giving him two moves with base 150 power, which would more than enough make up for Electivire's higher attack.

Electivire only has one STAB move, with a base power of 120-something as compared to Flygon. With 'Vire only having one more type to hit for SE, it seems that Flygon has more raw power and speed at its disposal, while 'Vire has the barely better coverage.

In my opinion, go with Flygon.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Thanks Sho, hopefully more people will voice opinions here so I can decide who to go for. There was a few other things I did forget to mention with these pair:

- Electivire carries an extremely high surprise factor with the Scarf from what I've experienced with it since literally no-one expects him to carry it. From my experiences, many people I've battled have been quite wary of Flygon when it has appeared, but with Electivire they tend to recklessly attack, unaware of the Scarf, only to be outsped and run over by 'Vire's power and coverage. Although Flygon can easily do exactly the same if the opponent attacks too recklessly, Electivire seems to bait reckless attacks very easily whereas Flygon tends not to sometimes, and this was before Flygon ever used the Scarf.

- The Speed difference, I failed to go into detail with. The 30 Speed difference creates quite an interesting scenario - Flygon can outspeed a max-Speed Electrode with his Scarf whereas Electivire can't. However, since Electrode is an Electric-type, 'Vire can steal a Motor Drive from Electrode if it switches in on it at the right time, which would then make 'Vire faster than Electrode. Otherwise, the Speed difference would only affect their performance against other Scarf users, and possibly against Dragon Dance/Agility users (most likely the latter.)

- Flygon looking like an awesome dragonfly monster and Electivire looking like an overweight, yellow yeti does not constitute a good reason to use Flygon over Electivire - I don't care much about looks ;P.

- I've used Scarf'd 'Vire before, and I can safely say it is very deadly. I've never used Scarf'd Flygon before, though, so I've no idea how effective it is in comparison.

Thanks again Sho, lets keep 'em coming.

I'd prefer Double STAB and U-Turn over Single STAB and better coverage.

Short and sweet but I think the rest has been said.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I know you've used the Electivire for quite a while so I'd suggest giving Flygon a try... only one type can Resist outrage so I think it might do better even though it's coming from a lower attack stat.

People are wary of Flygon more for the immense movepool I think.. I don't know of anyone scared of it carrying a scarf, but I dunno :/

Just have to watch out about being locked into it - Ice Shard can still beat a choice scarf... but Weavile carrying just Ice Punch would be amusing to KO.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
My battle knowledge isn't the best, but I'll add my opinion nonetheless ;P

I'd go with Flygon. I have one, and he's always been a very good Pokemon - mainly due to his resistances/immunities. As far as I'm aware they're unique, which with choice scarf would allow you switch in safely with a little prediction (which I know you're good at), and kill a fair range of enemy Pokemon with Flygon's coverage.

I've never used 'Vire, but I don't think he'd be as good for switch-in purposes, or as resitant.

Flygon looking like an awesome dragonfly monster and Electivire looking like an overweight, yellow yeti does not constitute a good reason to use Flygon over Electivire
Yes it does. 'Tis a perfectly good reason ;P

That's all I've got. In all fairness, Flygon is one of my favourites, so I'm a little biased XD

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Well, I'd say after this, it's a unanimous victory for Flygon. :p

Flygon will definitely get some extensive testing after this, whilst 'Vire takes a backseat for a while.

Thanks to everyone who voted, and with that, this topic can be locked up and the key thrown to the wolves....for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.