• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

E3 2006

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It's closer than you think 8)

After stumbling upon the official E3 2006 website I decided to stick the dates up on our calendar, so why not give it a topic too?

New information will continue to roll in as the event approaches, but what are some of your expectations for this year? What games and hardware do you want to see/hear more about? Etc.

Three links that may interest people:
Speaker List
Exhibitor List
IGNs list of all confirmed games to be shown

And the dates are:
Conference Program: May 9th—11th
Expo: May 10th—12th

Some of the things I'm looking forward to this year are seeing the first Rev games shown off (SSB Revolution most of all ^^), not to mention finally hearing about this second big secret surrounding the controller/console. Release dates and sales prices for both Rev and PS3 would be nice, too (I'm assuming we'll already know DSlite's US launch date by that point).
Any Pokemon game footage or information would satisfy me, even if it is only Ranger, and I can't wait to hear more about the GBA productions of FFV & FVI or how FFIII for DS is coming along. Then there's Children of Mana, Xenosaga I & II, Harvest Moon DS, Tales Of The Tempest... just to name a few. In general, I can't wait to hear more about future DS games and all of these funky things they're releasing for it (ie. the browser and TV tuner).

Even with the impending releases of Rev and PS3, DS is still my center of attention. From time to time I've completely forgotten that Rev was being released this year because the future of DS sounds so awesome. 2006 is definitely gonna be a great year for gamers (as long as everything doesn't get pushed back to '07) ^^

micro$oft will revael teh xBoy!!!111 :-\

Sony'd better say something official about the PS3. Besides specs, all we've got are estimates. Something confirming or disproving the Spring 2007 launch and $900 price point (both being Canadian predictions) would be nice, not to mention some decent software. I'm also itching to see their new, "revolutionized" controller they said they'd been working on. ;)

I'd also heard Sony would be releasing a new version of the PSP, with a built-in 4GB hard drive and touch screen, but they were jut rumours. If they end up doing anything like that, I'm sure it'll be at E3.

I expect great things from Nintendo. I'm predicting the DS Lite will be out in North America at the same time as New Super Mario Bros. (second week of May), seeing as it's supposed to be out in Europe by the end of August, so there likely won't be any news on that front. I completely expect them to fully unveil the Revolution and show off some software, but release dates and prices won't start coming in until later.

There's always a ton of software, though. Final Fantasy III and Final Fantasy V will certainly show up, and Pokémon Rangers as well. Other announced titles will hopefully include...

Boktai (DS)
Custom Robo GX (GBA)
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (multi)
Giftpia (GC)
Jam with the Band (DS)
Kirby (GC)
Lego Star Wars II (multi)
Mario 3-on-3 Basketball (DS)
FREAKIN' MOTHER 1 + 2 (GBA)!!!!
AND MOTHER 3 (GBA)!!!!
Polarium micro (GBA)
Secret of Mana (DS)
Slime Morimori Dragon Quest (DS)
Thief Wario (DS)
Tingle RPG (DS)

Meh, and maybe The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. I'd honestly rather see more of the above than more TP, I already know enough about it, and don't want to spoil it too much. This would make it its third E3 appearance, after all. Bah, I know it'll be there anyways.

They always surprise us with a lot of unannounced titles, too. I wouldn't mind hearing some stuff from Capcom about the ever-secretive Viewtiful Joe 3 and more Phoenix Wrights, or Golden Sun for DS or Rev. Wario Ware: Revolutionized! would be bliss, too. ;D

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'd also heard Sony would be releasing a new version of the PSP, with a built-in 4GB hard drive and touch screen, but they were jut rumours.

*Gags* Man, the sad thing about that is, it's totally something Sony would do. They ripped off Nintendo on every other front. Why not rip off their touch screen idea, too? :p

Before anyone says it, no, tough screens aren't new. I realize this. Touch screens for gaming, though, as in not palm-pilot games? No argument.

Polarium micro (GBA)

There was a press release about that game today which included a lot of info, one piece being that its title is Polarium Advance. If you're interested I'll PM you the info. I'm personally not overly interested in it myself. I'd rather play the DS version first anyways.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Polarium was bad enough on the DS. Not worth getting a non-touch clone on the GBA... >_>

I could be more excited about E3 but aside from Revolution footage there's not really going to be that much that's really new for Nintendo. And let's face it, the Revolution footage is hardly going to be as impressive as what Sony and Microsoft threw out there last year or will come up with this year - the whole crux of what we'll be seeing on the Revolution will be the controls, which can only really be understood fully when you have the thing in your hands.

While it'll be great to see what's coming up for it, I feel we'll be let down by actual tangible content for the Revolution and will be left, like the DS, waiting to see just how it works out in the end when we can pick it up for ourselves.

Although one thing I could get really excited about in general is the WiFi Connection expanding further. This year we should be seeing even more game showing off the fact they're online for the DS and even better, we should at least be informed of what the Revolution will be taking online and how it will work too.

Overall, outside of the odd bit of Rev and online stuff there isn't that much for me to look forward to now about E3. Although D/P would probably make it the best E3 ever.

Anything Revo-related. It's a big thing for the industry.

Aside from that, some killer-app games for Xbox 360 would be nice, particularly Live-orientated ones. Here's hoping for Halo 3...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Anything Revo-related. It's a big thing for the industry.

Aside from that, some killer-app games for Xbox 360 would be nice, particularly Live-orientated ones. Here's hoping for Halo 3...

No. Here's hoping for another company to get off their arses and make something bigger and better than Halo for a 360 online killer app. One that isn't Shoot Teh Alienz! Plzkthxbai.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
While it'll be great to see what's coming up for it, I feel we'll be let down by actual tangible content for the Revolution and will be left, like the DS, waiting to see just how it works out in the end when we can pick it up for ourselves.

Ditto to that, although the things I want to see from Rev this year aren't how fancy their games look. It's what types of games they're releasing and how the controller is used for them, both things that can be shown or explained to an extent via videos or word of mouth. I'd also like to hear more on Nintendo's stance for spreading the word on Rev and proving that, even if Sony and Microsoft did copy their controller idea in the future, it could still stand on its own as being unique. I have a hunch it isn't going to take much for Nintendo to "wow" me over Rev all over again.

Yeah, but the only Pokémon news we EVER get at E3 is English pictures, videos, demos, and if we're extra lucky, names. The NEW stuff will come at Festa.

Well... The English names of Manyula and the latest newbies would be better than nothing. Simple pictures or videos for D/P would be cool, too, considering that we STILL have not seen a single bloody picture from those games.

Oh hoh... If Festa doesn't reveal at least something this year there'll be a pissy rant trailing after it ;)

Well I might have the English names soon :)

But what I look forward to is the announcement of Mysterious Dungeon & Ranger games & even D/P :)

A Pokemon game for Rev would be nice as well and maybe another DS game!!!

~Scott

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
IGN has put together a list of all the games confirmed for E3 thus far: http://games.ign.com/articles/698/698570p1.html

The list, of course, is not complete and in no way encompasses everything we'll be seeing at E3. And I quote from the article:

BUT WAIT! Before you write in with such enlightening observations as "u f3rg0t triPl3 so=0p3r sup3r bLu3 p0k3m0N!11!!!!1!!1!," you should realize that this list doesn't necessarily represent everything that a particular company will be showing at E3, just what they've confirmed with us so far. There are sure to be plenty of surprise titles on the floor that publishers aren't ready to make public until closer to the opening of the show. Luckily we'll be updating this list every single day with any new confirmed titles that we learn of, so all you'll have to do is check back here for the most up-to-date list of E3 titles.

As of now, there's nothing confirmed that really has my interests perked.

Square-Enix has set up a new page listing their games to be shown at E3 this year, which you can check out here.

For those too lazy to click the link (come on, you know you want to...there are LOGOS there...), the list includes games of such importance as:

Children of Mana (DS)
Dawn of Mana (PS2)
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII (PS2)
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS)
Final Fantasy III (DS)
Final Fantasy V Advance (GBA)
Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA)
Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
Valkyrie Profile 2 (PS2)
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth (PSP)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
(Fixed the coding in yer post, QQ ;))

That is one beautiful list. At least five of those games are destined to join my gaming collection.

I can't wait to hear more indepth information about FFVI's new additions. Are they simply extra dungeons at the end, or have they added new events throughout the game? ANYTHING new would be awesome. Wouldn't mind a few new story events, though. Shadow for one needs his past expanded on, and I wouldn't mind learning more about Gogo's origins.

Whatever happens with FFVI, I'm gonna love it. Again. ^__^

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I'm solely interested in FFIII and FFVI in that list.

Nintendo should be making a pre-show announcement sometime next week with a vague idea of what they'll be showing. I'd say it's unlikely they'll name many Rev games before the show though.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Wiii! The conference is only a day away now, so I think this topic deserves to be stickified.

I'll probably only catch bits and pieces of it *grumbles* but everyone remember to check out all the E3 info as it rolls in! Post notable annoucements, cool pics, etc.

Viva la Wii! 8)

What I want to see is some more info on the Revolution and demo's of the games coming out on it (especially SuperSmashBrosRevolution) I also want to see some info on some of the PS3 titles. Also if you have it,the G4 tech channel will be showcasing E3 from Tuesday-Friday so if you want an alternative from checking E3 updates on the computer you can check that out.

There are only two things I want to see there this year.

1. Something about the Wii. (Playable demo of SSBW, perhaps?)
2. Mother 3. (This takes precedence over the first one, in actuality.)

Now that I assume everyone's seen Sony's press conference (I won't ruin anything if you haven't), there's one huge surprise I wanted to bring up...especially since I'm Canadian; and that's the price of the PS3.

HURRY UP AND CLICK ON A LINK OR SOMETHING IF YOU DON'T WANT PRICE SPOILERS!
I'm sure you've seen or heard the price by now anyways and there won't be any spoilers, and not too many people would care about price spoilers anyways, but if you do, don't read this. K?

20GB HD60GB HDDComparison to the Canadian price
Japan
58,900​
Open price​
1.07 x $CAD​
U.S.
$499​
$599​
1.01 x $CAD​
Canada
$549​
$659​
1.00 x $CAD​
Europe
€499​
€599​
1.28 x $CAD​

I don't know about you, but I was very surprised with these prices. I did not expect them to be so low! We're getting some DEALS (unless you live in Europe, then you're getting raped like always). The prices are mostly pretty evenish, though Canada as you can see is getting the best deals. All across the board, though, we're seeing much lower prices than anticipated. Maybe I'll be able to afford one in only a few years, instead of a decade like I first thought!

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Including pounds sterling into the mix ('cause it's betterer than euros) and it'll end up as £399-£499 here. (Not direct conversions, but conversions for merchandising etc).

Which means we still get screwed but it's not THAT much more expensive than the 360 - which is clearly what Sony have pushed for in the face of controversy over the high prices bandied around before.

Oh, and in case anyone else hasn't heard yet, the new PS3 controller has gyros for motion sensor control. How original...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The E3 section is now up, I'll be updating it throughout the week. Expect some of the titles already listed to gain a preview over the course of the weekas more material becomes available.

http://www.pokecharms.com/games/e3-2006/

Most of the games present at E3 I want to see more of were either hardly shown in the conference, or not shown at all, mostly for DS. DK: King of Swing, Mario vs. Donkey Kong and Yoshi's Island are all getting mor ethan welcome sequels, and Pokémon Rangers is there as well, alongside Elite Beat Agents (Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!...I hope they keep some good music). Of course, I'm itching to try Super Mario Galaxy (hopefully a launch title, but then, can I play both it and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess at the same time?).

There are a couple of really great-looking Gamecube game (besides TLoz: TP, of course) that I'd LOVE to try myself, and one of them is Super Paper Mario! Since it didn't appear in the press conference, some of you may not have heard mention of it, but it's basically a side-scrolling Mario game...with art and characters straight out of Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door! Mario, Peach and Bowser have all been shown playable, plus 8-bit Mario and Pauline to boot.

The other is DK Bongo Blast, which is the end product of the VERY LONG awaited Donkey Kong Racing announced several years ago. Looks like now we'll be racing on jet-propelled barrel vehicles using the bongos to give ourselves a litte boost.

*wishes he'd stowed away in random visitor's suitcase*

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
*wishes he'd stowed away in random visitor's suitcase*

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060510

Wasn't Pheonix Wright 2 already announced aaaaages ago?

I'll have my (later than planned) post-Ninty conference update up sometime this afternoon and will be working throughout the day to put up previews for every new game revealed yesterday - including videos for most of said games.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Curse you, dial-up! CURSE YOU TO HELL!

*Ahem*

Since I'm stuck on dial-up this E3 I'm not going to be able to watch any of the videos, and the limited net access I have isn't doing me very well for seeing general info on the games either. At least I have a backup for seeing all the videos. Might take some waiting, but that's better than nothing ;p

From what I've read thus far... DS is the single best video game system ever. Starfox DS, Yoshi's Island 2 (NOT Yoshi's Story, or so I damn well hope), Kirby DS, Diddy Kong Racing online? That's not even considering all the previously annouced DS games still in production, or the ones out in Japan but not out here yet. Seriously... If this was all E3 had to offer this year, I'd be beyond content.

But hey, that's not all E3 has to offer. I haven't even seen a single screen shot or video yet, and the expo itself is just starting ^^

I need info on this Kirby game, though. Is it a Magic Paintbrush typed game, or an honest to goodness Kirby adventure like ye ol' times? ... Not that a Magic Paintbrush sequel wouldn't be just as great.

As a closing comment (for now)... Glad that Cube is getting a few new, good games. The Paper Mario sidescroller is definitely one I'll be picking up :)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The Kirby game is a full new Kirby adventure on the DS.

Also, there will be a way for you to watch the vids that I will reveal later. :)

Wasn't Pheonix Wright 2 already announced aaaaages ago?

IGN called the impending Gyakuten Saiban game, Gyakuten Saiban 4, Phoenix Wright 2 some time ago. That's not true; Phoenix Wright 2, as revealed by Capcom, is a port of Gyakuten Saiban 2. Capcom revealed a while ago that they would be porting PW cases to cell phone, which I have mixed feelings on, but again, they're not Phoenix Wright 2.

So yeah, I'm still happy.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Oh. Well, yeah, more Pheonix Wright = Great anyways, lol.

I had planned to try and get all of these sorted today but I'm knackered already so I may just leave it to continue throughout the rest of the week with, but either way, here are the first Pokecharms Previews of half a dozen DS games and a Cube game announced yesterday, expect more soon:

Donkey Kong Bongo Blast:
http://www.pokecharms.com/games/e3-2006/Cube/DKBongoBlast/index.php

StarFox DS:
http://www.pokecharms.com/games/e3-2006/DS/Starfox/index.php

Big Brain Academy:
http://www.pokecharms.com/games/e3-2006/DS/BigBrainAcademy/index.php

Chibi Robo:
http://www.pokecharms.com/games/e3-2006/DS/ChibiRobo/index.php

Kirby:
http://www.pokecharms.com/games/e3-2006/DS/Kirby/index.php

Mario Vs Donkey Kong 2:
http://www.pokecharms.com/games/e3-2006/DS/MariovsDK2/

Yoshi's Island 2:
http://www.pokecharms.com/games/e3-2006/DS/YoshisIsland2/index.php

Okk...now E3 and all it's goodness is over...sooo? What we're people's favorite games of E3?

My favorites were:

Gears of War(I would solely get a 360 for this game)
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Yoshi Island 2
Spore
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
annnd...Zelda: Twilight Princess

What I liked at E3 was Yoshi's island 2 and SSBB. I'm only putting down two because I know these are the ones I'm definitely getting. The trailer for SSBB was gorgeous and funny and knowing baby peach will be in a game is a definite bonus.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
*Sniffles* I... I still haven't seen a lot of the games, and the only movie I HAVE seen is SSBB's ;_;

Just hearing about them, though, the games that caught my attention the most were:

LoZ: Twilight Princess (Mostly the Wii version)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (That trailer is gold)
Yoshi's Island 2 (About time!)
Kirby DS (Crossing my fingers that its abilities play like Kirby Super Star/Amazing Mirror and don't just do a single action each)
StarFox DS (Although why they didn't beef up the graphics in some parts is odd)
Spore (After hearing all about it from my bro, really want to see the videos of it)
Super Paper Mario (Could either be really great or meh)

I need to see Super Mario Galaxy, the Wii Sonic game, and most everything PS3 had to offer (from the sounds of it there wasn't much and FFXIII in particular seemed kinda lack-luster). Didn't know a Wario Ware game was shown either.

Once I get all the videos off a friend and actually have the chance to look through all the games I'll have a much better impression.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Spore... Seen some videos about it; basically it follows the path of evolution: from micro-organism to inter-galactic travel (and habitation). Can't find the link though. >_<

On the others, I think one of my friends nearly killed me when she saw the quality of the graphics on Twilight Princess (She's a Zelda fanatic, and we found out... She likes them). Can't wait to try my hand at SSBB, and the rest... Woot.