• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DS Web Browser due in June (Japan)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Subject kinda says all... according to Nintendo Power, Nintendo has confirmed that it'll be launching the Opera web browser in Japan sometime this June.

A recent interview revealed a bit of info about how it'll function. And I quote:

The two screens allow for two different modes of browsing: fit-to-width and DS mode. In fit-to-width mode, Opera uses both screens for scrolling up or down a page with both screens completing the view. In DS mode, an overview of the Web page is displayed on the lower screen and a pink square can be moved around an area of the page. The area you have selected is shown on the upper screen. This is a unique way to deliver the Web to take advantage of the DS hardware configuration and Opera has worked closely with Nintendo to optimize this experience.

The browser is being released on a regular DS cart and is set to be priced at YEN 3800 (EURO 27 / GBP 18). For now it seems you can type in either Japanese or English. Anyone have plans to import? ;)

If it's anything like the PSP web browser...then blech, no way.

I have more confidence in Nintendo than I do in Sony, though, so I'll see. I still think I prefer my computer with a keyboard and mouse.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Well since it's Opera and not a hashed up modulation of IE (which is what the PSP runs), I see no reason to worry at all.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I agree. The touch screen will make things much easier to deal with than the PSP did, too.

The price is pretty decent, and Alex made a good point about the advantages of using the browser if you have two DS' (which I will once I buy my DS lite). You can be playing a game on one (exm. Pokemon) and looking up reference info at the same time (exm. a PokeDex). Sitting in front of a PC can be distracting, and not all of us are fortunate enough to have our beds or comfy chairs/couches next to the screen/keyboard ^^

Even if I don't get much usage out of something like this, I know I'll be buying it anyways. I'm a consumer whore for stuff like that :p

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I'd do it just cause the DS Lite looks so fucking much like a Pokedex. Lol.

It's too tempting not to flip it open with the Pokedex already loaded in it and just pretend its the real deal.

*Makes up a DS Lite Pokedex Decal*

All this talk of DSs and Pokédexes led me to this 10-second Photoshop mockup of how I'd like to see DP handle the Pokédex. Maybe if it were awesome enough, we wouldn't even need online Dexes! Uh...yeah right.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Last edited by a moderator: