• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DS Lite Troubleshooting Help, please?

My predicament is that my beloved old DS Lite stopped reading game cards a couple (2 or 3) years ago. Is there any way to fix this without paying a crapton of money, or is the non-gamecard reading DS Lite now relegated to the realm of "can only handle GBA games"?

If anyone has suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated, as I do not want to throw out something that my childhood self saved up 5 years of allowance for...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Well, we're not Nintendo, so there's not exactly a lot we can do.

The easiest answer is, yes, your now two hardware cycles old DS Lite is pretty much a goner. Chances are, you've knackered the connectors in the card reading slot (it could have, for a complete, unsubstantiated example, been a case of shorting out the connectors with a statically charged card) and that's just the end of it. Replacing it like for like should be relatively cheap. Finding a DS Lite for no more than about £40~ (ie: no more expensive than the games that run on it) shouldn't be difficult. Bump it up another 20% or so and you can probably pick up a DSi for no real bother, either.

But, of course, the real solution is to just get a 3DS XL, as the DS is outdated hardware and it doesn't make a lot of sense to get one this late into the 3DS's lifespan.

So, short answer to your question of "is there any way to fix this without paying a crapton of money" (though £40 minimum isn't exactly what I'd call a 'crapton' even for people making do with pocket money) is no.

Also, please try not to needlessly bold entire paragraphs of your post. Bold is used for emphasis of a specific word for specific meaning within a sentence. Abusing the BBCode formatting available is against the rules, so please don't do it.