• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Downloadable content for Spectrobes! Event Pokemon now seem possible!

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158547

Spectrobes, a game for the DS, is letting their players download a monster via WiFi. So this makes me wonder, if a small game gets downloadable content, wouldn't you think that D/P would get the same treatment?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It depends on Nintendo. The system is available (WiFi Mystery Gift, while unusable right now, is there). But they have included mechanisms in games before to obtain certain Pokemon or even certain items or ribbons and never actually used them. It's entirely up to what Nintendo chooses to do.

Needless to say, we wont find out until this time next year when Darkrai is officially announced in the west.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
While I'd like to think that they'd go through with WFC downloads of the "unobtainables" like that, I have my doubts. The way I view them, the Pokemon Company/Nintendo/Whoever else is involved likes to keep the rare legendaries to events and special deals alone in order to entice people to take part in them. Manaphy available in Ranger, Ho-oh in Colosseum, Lugia in XD ... same idea. If they made all of the remaining unobtainable Pokemon available via downloads, it'd defeat their consumer-whoreish purpose a bit, eh?

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe that's not their mindset at all, and by next year everyone with WFC access will have Darkrai on their games... Wouldn't that be nice ;)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
There is the theory that Shaymin will be available in the inevitable G/S remake (though not without an event to give you Oak's Letter to unlock the event), because of the way Prof. Oak is involved and mentions there being something similar in Kanto. It's possible that Shaymin's appearence in D/P is there to either match up with a similar event in the remakes or even just there like Deoxys, Lugia and Ho-Oh were available in Emerald, despite the events for them all being aimed at Fr/Lg.

If this is the case, Arceus can probably be expected to be unlocked at the time of the third game to D/P. It's possible, even, that this game wont be a counterpart game to D/P but rather a sequel. Team Galactic are still functioning after their defeat in D/P, and though it's never referenced by name, Cyrus is obviously only going after Dialga/Palkia to get his hands on Arceus - which will grant him the power of a God that he desires. Arceus' event is even started at the same place atop the Coronet Mountains.

Who knows, Arceus might even be obtainable in game.

note: what's the polished stone on route 224 for? i feel that the darkrai event will be in canalave (because of what the little boy from the cresselia event said.) and i believe shaymin will be near floaroma. interestingly, the polished stone reminds me of the white stone infront of the space center. hmm.....

on-topic(er): woot. let's hope for the best, and maybe nintendo will pull through for us =]