• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Do you, in real life, follow clothing trends?

Do you follow clothing trends?

• Yes

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • No

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • No, but I try too

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • No, I set them!

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
I don't really follow clothing trends. I simply wear what I like. (T-shirts and non-jeans. XP)

I don't see the point in wearing some tight, itchy shirt/pants to be trendy. That's just uncomfortable. every now and then someone tries to make me follow trends, but I tend to ignore those kind of people, the ones that force you to do things you have no interest in.

So, what about you?

(How did that link snake its way in there? o.O)

Clothing Trends? Nah... thats what the general public wears... and considering the General Public is stupid... I'd rather not follow them :)

Individualism forever and all that Jazz

I tend not to, mostly because what is reproduced on the Highstreet looks, to me at least, like toss. The other reason is that care very little as to what some bigwig in a suit thinks I should be wearing (unless of course said bigwig is my boss and I'm at work). I don't read magazines (well, I lie, I read New Scientist and look at the pictures in White Dwarf) and for the most part treat celebrities as if they're nothing more than any other annoying person on this planet.

The only 'trend' I ever 'followed' was when Victorian style was fashionable here in the UK one winter, though the only reason I bought the clothing was because it was on sale and I needed some shirts. That and I hate going shopping for clothes. It's depressing and a waste of time.

I guess I'm just very bitter.

Nah, I don't really follow trends. I have some tight jeans and so on, but it's not because it's trendy. It's just kinda hard to find other clothes. Plus, some of those trends are quite nice according to me. But I don't really care. As long as it fits and it isn't women's clothing it's fine.

Eh, I really don't follow trends. Even though it makes me look more guyish and what not, I like to stick to my jeans (sometimes my tight ones) and band tees. I like to wear what I feel comfortable in, not what everyone thinks looks nice.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'm one of those people that will dress only in stuff that's comfortable, and only if I like it. Mum normally glares in disapproval at half my clothes, but I really can't stand wearing stuff to suit other people, rather than myself. I'm an individual, and therefore I shall wear what I like XD

So just to clarify, I voted 'No'.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
As a freak of nature it is my own rule to only do as others do if it suits my intrests. As such, if I wore what was trendy I'd either look like ghetto trash or a gay little prep boy. On top of that my bad ass Hawaiian shirt and my so-shredded-I-can't-believe-they're-still-wearable-jean-shorts would never see the light of day again. Therefore, I wear what I want, when I want, for as many days in a row as I want.

Yes, I tend to follow clothing trends. But even then I pick what I like out of the current trends (if that makes any sense). For example, I didn't buy stiletto heeled shoes because I can't walk in them. But I have several pairs of wedge heels. Plus, I tend to buy what's in the stores and what's in the stores is the current stuff. You'd better believed I'm going to the store to get those skinny jeans and those leggings I saw.

I just like clothes and following trends, so what can I say? :) I don't overspend or invest a lot of my time doing it though.

Edit: Lol at how I bucked the trend of this thread by following trends

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Sem is a cartoon. Plain t-shirt/band shirt, cargo pants/shorts, Vans, hoodie.

No, because people don't care about what I wear. Unless it's so weird I attract stares then I'm asked things like: "Are you goth?" And I reply "No. these look cool." And I know they don't believe me. The crackheads.

I just where what I want, as long as my mom approves. She's weird about my clothes.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I honestly don't give a deus about clothing trends. I just wear what I find comfortable and looks decent on me. Which is usually a black/muted dark color T-shirt, dark jeans and a jacket of some sort. And of course my hiking boots and my epic bandanna of awesome. (shrugs)

It works.

If I'm wearing what's hot, I get stat boosts. In fact, if I wear things enough, the trends start to change to fit me.

...I think I may have played a little too much The World Ends With You.

Anyway, I don't follow trends because I honestly don't care. It's cheaper to just have jeans and a t-shirt (even if the t-shirt is from Fangamer :p) than to follow trends. Besides, trends are fickle things.

The only clothing trends I really see are:

Girls: Wear anything that with a Hollister, A&F, or American Eagle lable plastered on it.

Guys: Wear some kind of skateboarding thing, even though you only skateboarded for a month or so two summers ago and still suck, or wear Hollister or something like that if you can pull it off.

I usually just wear plain clothing, or something with a simple design. I don't like wearing advertisements.

Dur, Tee and Jeans for me! Or sometimes corduroy, but I doubt that matters much. Most of my clothes are just stuff my mom and I find on sale that I like. Cuz I don't like the knitted stuff or the big clunky jewelry. I'll follow the clothing trends when they follow my aesthetic. XP​

Although I have the money to buy them, I own two pairs of jeans. Black skinny jeans, and regular blue jeans. If you consider American Eagle a clothing trend then I guess I do. Though I only wear the shirts from there. I own a lot of name brand things, mainly because of my mom. I wear a lot of blacks, grays, whites, and dark greens. I wouldn't be caught dead with something pink or too bright, and I definitely do not have any style. My mom has to approve of what I buy, or I have to take it back. Though if she had her way, my hair and my clothes would match every trend out there.

So I do not follow trends. T shirt and jeans for me :p

Edit: My sister who is 12, follows every trend out there possible. I'm not even kidding >>' She wants everything, and gets it because she is spoiled.

[size=8pt]Quite seriously, my mother dresses me.
Yeah.

But she has pretty good taste, and when I do occasionally pick out my own outfit I usually base it around a central thing- a piece of jewellery or a shirt or this really cute skirt I got the other day.
Anyway.
If it happens to have two or twelve different layers, that's okay with me.
My clothing choices seem to reflect more on the near-absurd styles of the internet than the resurrection of high-waisted pants/skirts.
It's cool though ;3[/size]

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
My sister who is 12, follows every trend out there possible. I'm not even kidding >>' She wants everything, and gets it because she is spoiled.

My brother is exactly the same. He follows the latest hair-styles, clothing trends and even bases what he likes on what other people in his school are liking. He's the complete opposite of me. I know he still likes pokemon deep down, but he makes fun of it just to make sure his friends never find out. I swear everyone in his school are just one child... or one mind at least XD

Nerp, I'm my own person. I wear what I want and when I want.

...In the area of social standards anyways...*cough*

But when I see a shirt I like I can't help but go "AAAHHHH I WANT THAT!!!"
But those shirts usually have something funny on them. "*Insert Mario ? block* I'd hit that"

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hrm. Sometimes I put a bit too much thought into these sorts of topics. I want to say "No, I don't follow trends", but I guess it depends on what "trends" you're referring to.

I'm a gamer and a geek, so I tend to enjoy gamer/geek-ish clothing (not "nerd style". Geek.). I love my Nintendo shirts, as do many other gamers out there, so in a way is that not considered a "trend"? It's not the obvious, common trend, but it could be considered one amongst Nintendo fans.

But putting that aside... I've always just worn the stuff I like. I don't tend to follow trends, for pretty much anything. Generally if I buy into something, it's merely because I wanted to give it a try for myself - no peer or media pressure involved (but I say "generally" because I'd be a hypocrite otherwise). How I dress is no different. I like comfortable clothing, so I love jeans and t-shirts (and adore any Pokemon t-shirts I can get that fit me). Hoodies are great things, too, and my shoes tend to be "skater style" (I just love the feel and look of 'em). Dressy clothes aren't my thing, but when it comes to work and formal get-together's they can't really be avoided. I don't like dresses or skirts. I never have, and possibly never will. I grew up a tomboy because I didn't want to be stereo-typed, but even now - being much more open with myself - I dislike the things. Dresses and skirts just feel awkward. While other people may, I don't personally get anything out of wearing them, even if people claim I look good. I'd rather be enjoying myself and wearing my jeans XP

I've gotten better about wearing shorts now, but for the longest time I'd wear my jeans outside the home year 'round - even when it was bloody hot in the summer. Not so bad about it now, but Katie doesn't wear short-shorts. I like my ones that come to a bit above my knees. They're comfy and easy to wear.

Meh. I hate shopping for clothes XD

well i try not to follow them i don't know if i do,i like many other have to get my mum's approval to buy clothes, but what she buys is what i want anyway, a while ago on own clothes day at our school so many people where all where in the same top is was dumb, i like me my own self not some mindless sheep who follows the crowd. I'm my own person, and half the time clothing trends don't make sense if i like what i see i will buy it, if not well i do this :p

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Okay, I retract my earlier comment. Kind of.

I would say I follow trends because, yeah, I shop at all of the same places as most people and end up buying the some stuff half the time because it's nice and looks good and it suits me. But I don't just wear what I wear because everyone else wears it, I wear it because it looks good on me. Then I changed it to make it my own style instead, 'cause it's no fun just wearing what everyone else wears. You've gotta spruce it up with your own style!

For example, if everyone started wearing wife-beater tops, then sure, I'd wear them too but I'd wear a shirt, unbuttoned, over the top of them. If everyone thought shirts were trendy (for some reason, I've noticed girls think checked shirts are trendy, wtf) then I'd wear a long-sleeved top under a buttoned shirt. Gotta spruce it up!

Also, I openly and gladly wear cyber goggles nowadays regardless of what people think.

(for some reason, I've noticed girls think checked shirts are trendy, wtf)

Primarni sells these a fair amount, they have little metallic strips running through the checks. I don't put this down to fashion so much as the clothing being cheap and versatile. However the pre-teens girls from the local secondary schools buying and wearing adult men's striped (mostly v-neck) jumpers is disturbing. They think 'boyfriend fit' I think 'creepy older man with no taste'.

Example of mindless trend buying: a couple of months back, we in Primarni had a summer top we couldn't sell (white with a black pattern and belted at the waist). To get around this, we put it on a manquine display with a pair of formal trousers, putting the rest of the stock on the table underneath. Within a day most of the tops had been bought. It seems half the women in my town only wear what Primarni wants them to. It's a conspiracy.

If I followed trends, I wouldn't be me. Jeans and Tees are my policy. And they are never 'in fashion'.

*thinks of current fashion* Very scary. Slutish really. *shoots fashion*

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
In a sense I kinda do, since everyone at school wears jeans and t-shirts. But I don't really follow them; I just wear what I like, and it just so happens to be what everyone else wears. Now, most people wear overly-bright clothes at school... I'll die before I wear red (not like I don't like the color; it's one of my favorites, actually. Just don't like to wear it...). And this type of flip flops... NOOO. Everyone's wearing those or crocs these days at school. Nty, I'll stick to my tennis shoes.

I remember this one time a girl commented that I always wore skirts and never anything else, and then she pointed out that everyone else never wore skirts... that really shattered me. That's why I only wear jeans now. If I see a skirt, I almost literally feel like screaming just because of that one girl's comment on my clothes.

I luffles my blue jackets, though. Especially my fluffy ones. Technically, I tend to wear either regular tees and jeans, or a fluffy blue jacket or a velvety black vest on top. I also replace my jeans with my velvet black pants once in a while (I love furry stuff). Every time I wear my velvety stuff, though, I get strange looks. One person even asked if I was going out (I'm only 13, and my parents won't let me go out anyways. *laughs*).

So yeah. All in all, I usually don't follow clothing trends. Just kinda (jeans and hoodies only, everything else I get odd looks for).

No. I don't. I try to set my own, but those never work out, so I couldn't hit "I set them" in the poll. I do tend to dress like anime characters...with not baggy but not tight pants, a belt or two or three, fingerless gloves, keychains hanging off my belt loops.....yeah, I guess you could call me a semi-goth, I guess.

I have little fashion sense whatsoever, but I try to be somewhat recent in the way I dress. That's why I said 'No, but I try'. At least it's better than what it used to be a few years ago. *shudders*

My 'fashion sense' year-round is usually a t-shirt (with a long-sleeve shirt underneath it when cold) that either pushes a sustainable/green world, is Aeropostle (that's the only name-brand I can stand. Why do young women 'have' to wear booty shorts and tops that barely cover them? I know the answer.), or a band t-shirt, jeans (I have more jeans than regular pants), brown skateboard shoes, my white or grey-with-skulls jacket, and my favorite dark-grey hat. I guess I'd be more 'skater' than anything else, though I don't skateboard, even though I want to.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I set trends so much I'm on the hunt for an aqua blue dress shirt.

Anyone who sees one, buy it for me and I'll pay you back. :)

I don't really. I just like my clothes colors to match :o. So some Jeans, Vans, Shirt and Jacket is usually what I wear when I go to the mall with my friends.

I never wear the popular brands of clothing. I always wear jeans and a rugby shirt. I also wear pilot sunglasses that are huge, they're the only sunglasses big enough to fit over my normal glasses. I hate the clip on sunglasses.

'Course not. If it fits and matches, it's fine with me.

I'm one of those Abercrombie, Hollister, and American Eagle girls since my recent move to California, though.

I have never followed any sort of trends in my life. Unless it was on accident, but I don't think I've ever had that happen to me. Baggy sweaters and comfortable pants are good enough for me in all occasions other than the ones important enough to warrant getting dragged off by my mom to change.

Not at all.
I have two identical pairs of black cargo trousers that are the only trousers I wear. I have a small collection of 5 t-shirts (2 black with wolves, 1 white with wolves, 1 blue geeky one and 1 dark grey 'vegesaurus' t-shirt) which I rotate every weekend. A bandanna (black), boots (beige) or converse boots (red), gloves (either fingerless and multicoloured or normal and black) and a jacket (black and stripy) and voila! Fashion, Enfys-style!
But you can't forget the Pokémon badges I have on my trouser pocket...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, unfortunately I am one of those sad people who set them. It's not my fault. I am friends with the cool kids at school. And I wear what I wear. They wear what they wear. All those nerd and geeks try to dress like us. Somehow although I am friends with everyone(Yes in a twisted way). I get sucked into this concept of fashion. And set the trends not hoping to though. Understand all that you can read my personality.

Absolutly not. A lot of kids at my school are rich- so they wear expensive clotes whereas I shop at places like Target and Wal Mart. Another thing they like is tight jeans. I hate jeans. :/ I don't know what it is about them. I just can stand them. So I just where sweats or pants most of the time. My friends think I'm insane...