• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Different Pokemon, same old animal...

So, do you mind it when a Pokemon uses the same animal for inspiration as another one?

Personally, I don't mind it, as they usually focus on a different quality of the animal. For instance, Glameow represents the showbiz, 'better than you' side of cats, whereas Meowth is more to do with the cutesy, 'nyaa' side.

At times, I find it irritating. Bidoof and that new, ring-eyed rodent thing are based off the goofy and mean sides of rodents, but they look too similar. However, I like its evolution. If they are different enough, I find it acceptable.

I usually don't mind it too bad, especially if there's more potential in that animal to be a good Pokemon base.

However, I think they're going a bit overboard with the monkeys...

I mean we already have Mankey, Primape, Aipom, Ambipom, Chimchar, Monferno, and Infernape, not to mention a couple others you could classify as monkey-like if you wanted to, and now they're adding Yanappu and its two copies. Seems kinda stupid to me.

I wouldn't mind if they made more turtles, or more elephants, or more camels. We already have Pokemon that fit into all those but I think they could make a few more awesome Pokemon based off those animals.

Secad said:
At times, I find it irritating. Bidoof and that new, ring-eyed rodent thing are based off the goofy and mean sides of rodents, but they look too similar. However, I like its evolution. If they are different enough, I find it acceptable.

But but... beavers are awesome!

The birds are getting a little bit dull. Otherwise its cool with me. Im hoping for another squid like pokemon to pair up with Octillery and Tentacruel

Well, I usually don't have that much of a problem with it, but for a time I had the most trouble telling Linoone and Furret apart from each other.

The only ones I really mind would be the birds, bugs, and fish. THey are starting to look alike to me.

I agree with Virgil abot the camels. We've only got, what 2 camels? Yet we have at least 4788920999 one based of fucking Pidgeons! What is it with gamefreak and Pidgeons!? Although I love Pidgeons, they've gone too far. I'd like to see a Pokemon, based off a camel, but showing the evil, demonic, calculating side of camels, as opposed to the slow, dopey Numel. I'd also love to see a Gazelle. It would be a normal type, with huge speed, weak defence, and base 95-ish attack. (Because of the horns.)

I like this topic =] and YES! YES! MORE TURTLES! Oh i want to see more dinosaurs dammit! Also more penguins i didnt like piplup and its evolutions.. I want a duck pokemon too i dont know if farfetch'd is one or not.. Also more snakes and lizards (they did a good job with seviper, arbok and charmander)

I try to judge pokemon based on their own merits, but I do get sad when there's YET ANOTHER pigeon/rodent pokemon while so many cool species get ignored.

We wouldn't suffer from a Koala Pokemon would we?

Like Virgil said, TOO MANY MONKEYS!
Seriously, why so many?!

Even the frogs are going overboard, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath, Poliwag, Politoed, and those new Gen 5 froggers.

Personally I'd like to see something new, like something based off of the enviornment, like that new dancing flower princess thingy.

For some reason I've always wanted to see a ghost grass Pokemon, like "This Pokemon is the ghost of mowed grass. Now it haunts everyone who killed it." or something like that.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm finding that I don't mind at all when they reuse certain animals as bases. Birds are a HUGE collection of critters, as are rodents, fish, insects, etc. so I find it hard to condemn them for making multiple Pokemon from any of them. As long as the base of the species is different (ie. an angler fish verses an angelfish) then where's the hurt?

Even the cats and dogs don't really bother me because they're usually based on different types of cats & dogs and have different types/stats/abilities/etc. Skitty, Meowth, and Glameow are all Normal-type kitties, but them and their evolved stages are used very differently in battle.

To me, a Pokemon is a Pokemon. As long as their usage is slightly different, it's fine by me. The only thing that slightly annoys me is that they gave all three elemental monkeys and all three flying-type legendaries the exact same stats. Now that's just being lazy. :p

0_0.Sinnysaurus.rex said:
I like this topic =] and YES! YES! MORE TURTLES! Oh i want to see more dinosaurs dammit! Also more penguins i didnt like piplup and its evolutions.. I want a duck pokemon too i dont know if farfetch'd is one or not.. Also more snakes and lizards (they did a good job with seviper, arbok and charmander)
Farfetchd is classified as a 'wild duck', not the dopey kind of duck like Psyduck and cool kind like Golduck.
Lizards, I'm glad they're trying out new ideas such as the desert croc, I definitely want that, one of the very few of the new gen I like. I liked Hippowdon a lot as well and raised him since I caught him. Not the desert theme but I love those guys. I agree with Charmander family, Treecko family, and I loved Kecleon, if they bring him back into this region, I would be very happy.

Dinosaurs? YES PLEASE! Lileep and Cradily I didn't like all that much, but I loved Bastiodon and Rampardos a lot!

Hell yeah i wanna create a prehistoric team! And i didnt know lileep cradily and bastiodon were dinosaurs O_O but yeah i do like ramparados alot. But yeah i agree with the different species of the same animals. I wanted arcanine to evolve into a wolf but i guess thats never gonna happen. I also want them to make a wiener dog pokemon lol. Oh and more cute teddy bear pokemon like teddiursa

Well, so far a prehistoric pokemon team would be:
Cradily (Grass+Rock)
Armaldo (Bug+Rock)
Aerodactyl (Flying+Rock)
Rampardos (Rock)
Bastiodon (Steel+Rock)
Your choice between Kabutops or Omastar (Water+Rock)

Soon we have another water+rock choice and another flying.

Yeah but i want a prehistoric dinosaur team. Not prehistoric plants or shellfish pokemon. The only two dinosaurs are are aerodactyl and ramparados. I thought garchomp was a dinosaur too but some people say he isnt so i dont know. Maybe ill make a topic about it to see if he is or not

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
You seem to have forgotten Bastiodon. But that's okay. I wish I could forget that thing too, freaking insult to Ceratopsians that it is.

But dinosaurs are well represented in PokeMon: other than the two Dinosaur Fossils of Sinnoh, you've got Marowak (which seems to have traits of Iguanodonts), Tyranitar (which seems to share a few traits with large carnivorous theropods, although it kinda loses the effects by being kinda sorta Godzilla), Aggron (Kind of, it's a weird amalgamation of things), Tropius (a Sauropod, possibly diplodocid), and virtually every single grass starter with the exception of Venusaur and Jaroda. Even Torterra gets partial credit for having various traits in common with Ankylosaurids.

Generation V also arguably throws Archaeos into the mix, as it is a strange blend of the first true bird, Archaeopteryx, and deinonychosaurs such as Microraptor gui.

Garchomp is not a dinosaur. It's kind of a generic dragon/shark mix. There is no need to make a topic for this.