• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Demon Slayer Rp

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Interesting-looking swords you've got," Saito remarked. Even a fool could tell that these colored Nichirin blades were no ordinary practice weapons. Rather than press the issue, however, the Branch Leader began crafting the requested example, answering their questions as he worked. "All I need is a small knife in one hand, and a piece of wood in the other..."

With the aid of a demon's strength, the tool's movements were as smooth and uninhibited as a peeler skinning potatoes. The block soon lost its sharp edges and thinned into the figure of a swordswoman. Saito's handling of the cutter then changed, became more particular and traced features onto the faceless trophy. When he removed his hands, the blade had captured perfectly the fake expression Akane had worn.

"Guys love it when I carve a wooden model of their girl. Adding your sword was a bit of challenge, but it worked out in the end," Saito addressed the female slayer and set the item on the counter. "But ya know..."

He continued, nudging his head toward a sword rack in the shop's corner, casually catching her in a lie and reeling out the truth.

"If you just sold it, you'd be set for life and wouldn't need to spend yours slaying demons."

JadeStar

Previously The Pikachan
Akane watched carefully how the carving was made. She was a fan of art herself and seeing the man work was impressive to her mind. She even grew a little excited when she noticed she was the model for the small wooden statue. She quickly considered asking for lessons on how to make such lovely carvings, but that bubble burst when the man has finished.

Akane gently picked up the small figurine and held it close to look at the details. It was really well done, probably some of the best she had ever seen. She touched it softly, like you do when you're checking the temperature of anything that is obviously hot. She set it down slowly on the counter, admiring it from far away.

"Mister it's so pretty!" Akane finally exclaimed. Her happy expression changed to a troubled one when the man mentioned she was a demon slayer. She sighed loudly and a small smile appeared on her lips. "Is it that obvious?" She said with a defeated tone. "I know we stand out but I didn't know people could just tell by looking at us that easily." She looked down at her sword with awe. "But I couldn't give this up, I think the world is being terrorized by an unknown evil and we are the only defense line against it." She then looked sad. "Unfortunately, sometimes I think humans are somewhat part of that evil." She sighed loudly and looked back up with a smile. "But I guess everyone has a mission right? How much for the figurine? It is just so perfect, I would love to know how you gained such amazing skill!" She seemed to be excited again about the man's work.

Dolan didn't even draw his sword from his scabbard ,and yet the man seemed to know it was mad with nichirin, "Interesting" Dolan said briefly. Dolan watched Saito carve the wood, "whittling, huh? Looks cool! I bet you've had a lot of practice whittling, haven't you?" Dolan said. Dolan's dad whittled in his spare time ,but he mostly just made spoons ,and toothpicks.

"seems easy to understand why. Its a well made carving. A lot of people would enjoy in seeing these. You even managed to carve the sword in too!" Dolan said. Dolan saw Saito gesture towards the swords and stared at them for a moment. He stood their silently when he called them out as demon slayers, "It is pretty obvious isn't it? I mean, we are wearing the uniforms. Everything is okay!" Dolan said cheerfully patting Akane on the back.

Dolan proceeded to walk over to the counter ,and placed the pocket watch down next to the carving, "How much for it all?" Dolan said looking through his pocket for spare change. He had multiple coins at the bottom of his pocket. He pulled out his wallet from his other pocket which had a decent amount of money in it. His wallet was a dark brown leather. Clearly hand made ,and had a small hole in the bottom right corner. His grandmother made it for him ,and he still uses it to this day. He looked at Akane, "Is there anything else you would like to get while we're here?" Dolan asked.

Saito chuckled at Akane's energy. He'd encountered a different breed of slayers, the hardened, cynical type whose hands flew to their katanas the second they were exposed. But the redhead played it off as a joke and beamed about his figurine. She seemed distinctly human and uncorrupted, unlike her comrades in the Corps who'd had to fight off monsters by becoming monsters themselves. Maybe she just hadn't seen much action. The girl definitely had a naïve look about her, from her obvious fibs to her improperly sheathed sword that revealed a slayer's Nichirin.

"Evil is evil, whether it's demonic or human," Saito said, shrugging as if it were a passing comment. He wasn't about to talk Akane's head off about how his race wasn't inherently bad, how her organization was full of bigots who condemned them to death simply because of what they were. He also wasn't going to philosophize about how everything happened for a reason, that there must be some purpose for his kind's presence on this earth and that killing it was wrong. One, the Branch Leader was no saint. He'd engaged in too many of the Red Demon's indefensible activities to grandstand. Two, giving Akane food for thought in the form of a concise message was better than losing her in a long diatribe.

"You're right that everyone has a mission," the agent agreed, "and mine was art. That's what makes it good. Follow your heart, and you'll get wherever it is you need to be."

Dolan and Akane's relationship could have also been a lie, but when the former walked over to the counter with the intention of paying, Saito wasn't sure. She was definitely as giddy as a girl in love, and the boy had asked her what else she wanted as if they were on a shopping date. Whatever their experiences, the slayers were just kids in the end, the demon mused.

"That'll be 1600 yen," he replied, turning to the redhead and smiling. Knife in hand, he planned to put the finishing touches on a romantic night out. "By the way, the carving isn't done. I usually engrave the person's name into the base, so what's yours, miss?"

For some reason the store owner seemed a bit odd ,but Dolan couldn't figure out how. Perhaps it had something to do with his shop. It was an antique shop filled with strange antiques. Fitting place for an unusual person.

Dolan stood there confused ,and at a loss of words listening to Saito discuss philosophical endeavors. Despite this, not a single word went over his head. The only real questions running through Dolan's head were, 'What point is the shop owner trying to make ,and did he talk to all clients like this?'. "Follow your heart, hm?" Dolan commented. He pondered that thought for a moment, "1600?!" Dolan said before quickly regaining his composure. Looking back, that wasn't too bad. Dolan shuffled through his wallet as he grabbed the exact amount. It was obvious he had far more than enough. He quickly put his wallet safely away after handing Saito the money.

Dolan grinned at he opened the pocket watch to see it still worked. He excitedly put his new watch in his pocket ,and turned towards Akane silently grinning and waiting to see what she had to say. He also wondered if there was anything else there she might have wanted.

JadeStar

Previously The Pikachan
"Well your mission is very beautiful mister." Akane said with a smile. "My name is Akane Ito." She replied, ready to watch the man work on the figure.

Akane would have paid for everything herself, she was good at managing her money, but her attention was focused on the way the man crafted. She also wondered about what he said. What if she was in the wrong mission? What if she was supposed to be what her mother wanted her to be? She had been nearly beat to death before, how long would it be before it happened again?

"What do you think about demon slayers and demons?" She asked the man quietly.

"What do I think, huh?"

Saito hadn't said much. His statements were nothing overwhelming, yet Dolan seemed lost. He was merely a humble storeowner speaking about his passions to a few interested people. They'd asked him how he'd gained such skill, and he'd given them the answer. The slayers gazed at the final product like it was magic, but the attractive end result was never Saito's motivation. He didn't carve to be better than his peers, or to impress people the way he'd impressed them. He sculpted because he loved it. There were a thousand, less aesthetically pleasing figurines that had come before the one Akane saw, but to Saito, they were no less beautiful. His heart and soul were in each of his works, and this devotion to his craft was the sole consistency between his past and present lives. He encouraged the two to find what they loved, and he doubted that it was killing.

"Well, if I were your dad, I'd probably tell you that there's a demon hiding under your bed who'll eat you if you misbehave. It's just an urban legend to most people," he replied, as he began indenting the statuette. "But I know they're real. And I guess you could say I'm curious about 'em. Creatures who look like you and me, but can't socialize or come out during the day? Must be a pretty solitary time."

The Branch Leader told Akane nothing that would raise her suspicions about him. He'd believed in the good of his kind since the day he turned, when a demon entered the master sculptor's home and found him on the verge of death. After months of physical decline and threats on his life if he missed a deadline, he collapsed trying to complete a final piece. By then, he despised his craft more than anything, working only to stay alive and no longer because he enjoyed it. Had the fiend not visited him that night and granted him an immortal body, he would have died an embittered, broken man.

Perhaps the unfulfilled dream to coat the landscapes of Japan with his art was what retained his memories when he awoke. The newly transformed demon rose from the floor with a firm belief in his mind, that despite the fact that he could no longer walk in the sun or show his face to others, despite the lonely road ahead for a man who wanted to share his creations with the world, demons, like humans, were allowed to dream. That conviction guided him from his benign, starting branch in the Red Demon to the most wicked, where pregnant whores were ripped from brothels, forced to bear children, and devoured. These experiences taught him that he wasn't the only human whom society had used and neglected, that becoming a fiend had saved him from that dead end, given him a second chance at achieving his dreams and the strength to never be threatened by anyone again. The women had dreams, too, but ultimately, he sacrificed them in pursuit of his own. He wasn't a saint, but the Dungeon Masters probably treated them better than fellow humans had. They gave the girls a relatively speedy death instead of a long, drawn-out suffering on the streets of a dirty slum. So in a strange way, Saito's actions were justified, taking lives that never had any purpose and using them to help other demons.

Not that the rightness of his deeds mattered. The closest to "good" that his race could get, which was his current involvement in assisted suicide, was still objectionable. It was no surprise that monsters threw human morals out the window and killed indiscriminately, when their best efforts at virtue ended up being vice. Hopes, dreams, and self-love—these were things they deserved as much as the unturned, and there was no way they could accept who they were if they judged themselves by human standards. But the Branch Leader gave his employees a new metric, and responsibilities that saved them from total depravity. Because he was certain there were others like him, who didn't appreciate being branded as evil, who had all their old aspirations and differed from their mortal lives only in the food they ate.

"Curiosity is a luxury, though. I've met people who've lost loved ones to demons, and all they can feel is hatred," Saito continued, his whittling hands following the rhythm of his voice. "Slayers I've encountered in the past were more troubled than your average person. Some were morally bankrupt bad apples with bleak views of the world. Others claimed they killed so no one else would have to endure what they went through, but every noble-sounding explanation boiled down to a well-hidden animosity."

He saw nothing like that in Akane. Her innocent smile, polite manner, and the light in her eyes as she watched him carve made him question why she even carried a blade. The world is being terrorized by an unknown evil and we are the only defense line against it sounded practiced and didn't belong in her pure mouth. She clearly lacked the drive of other slayers, and Saito wondered if their life had been forced on her. Perhaps she was running from something worse, and the dangerous employ of a swordswoman was her sole escape? Whatever it was, the girl looked like an actress cast in a role for which she wasn't meant.

"I'm not bashing your group here. You're just a little different," Saito assured her with a smile. His knife, which had so many times been wielded with hate, now rested on the counter and left in his hand a finished trophy, made with love. "Well, there ya go. Akane is now an object."

Last edited:
Dolan stood there silently gently placing his hand over his pocket that his watch was in. It was nice. Though at this point, Dolan didn't really have anything to say so he looked out the window. The clouds could be seen in the distance ,and the trees over looking the hillside were rustling in the wind. He continued to listen to the others talk ,but wasn't sure where to chip in so he began contemplating what it meant to be a demon slayer.

Dolan didn't really have any grudges or hate towards demons of any kind. He was just a boy who was taught to fight, given a sword ,and had some experience killing demons. It was never personal. He had no resentment towards them. His whole life leading up to this point was one big cheerful easy life. He lived on a farm with his ma, pa, mee-maw, pee,paw ,and all his siblings both big and small. A simple straight forward life ,but now he was slaying demons. Why Kishi thought Dolan would be a good demon slayer was beyond him. Kishi was smart though so Dolan didn't question his logic. Dolan could still vividly remember the look on Preech's face as he faded away.

As he thought about that, his grin started to fade into more of a vacant expression. "I see" Dolan said, After Saito promised that he wasn't bashing their group. Dolan didn't comment on the Akane is an object part. The carving was neat ,and it even had her name carved onto it too.

Immediately after Yogen and Ibara's falling heads broke the silence, a sheet of metal burst from the ground. The chief had waved his hand, transmuting the stone floor into a substance hard enough to swat Kazu away like a fly and pausing at the apex of his movement. Rage flowed through his still fingers, not because his allies had died, but because his operation in Hokori had just been derailed. Governing would be harder without them.

The slayers had done what the chief had asked and entertained him, but this wasn't the end he'd envisioned. To his right, Kazu had won ugly, kicking and struggling against his restraints yet somehow fighting them off. To his left, Miyaji had won beautifully, racing around the demons and skipping off the bars, sealing one's fate with an airborne kill and the others' with a single, decisive swipe. He owed them the bitterest applause.

What clapped instead of his hands, however, were two halves of a steel box, lined with sharp spikes on the inside, rising from the dirt like coffins and slamming on Miyaji. The slayer reacted in time to jam them with his Naginata, but their constant pressure kept him where he was. The fiend seized the opportunity and flew forward, plowing through the cage and throwing a full-powered punch that blew the boy back. The force of the strike snapped the bars behind him, ripped his tight grip on the polearm, and buried him in the castle wall. His weapon had twisted free from its deadlock and clattered to the floor.

Finishing Miyaji off didn't require the use of his ability. Claws pointed, fists tightened, muscles bulking up and shoes cracking the ground as if the energy in his body had been compacted, the demon launched himself with a step toward the cloud of smoke where the human had crashed.

But two rivers of blood whipped past his face and stopped him like reins. His arms lightened all of a sudden, reduced to stumps at his torso, and when he looked down, he saw that they rested at his feet. His eyes followed a sly trail of smoke that undulated through the air, the taunt of Kazu's blade, tucked at his side by the opposite arm.

"First Form: Thunderclap and Flash," the redhead rasped. He'd felt like he'd pass out a second ago, and the sensation was still there, pushing him toward unconsciousness. But he steeled himself against it, blanking his face and dulling his eyes, taking energy that could've been wasted on an expression and investing it in standing. His past and present injuries bled into his uniform, but his muscles had pinched enough together that he wouldn't burst at the seams.

The slayer had already tested his limits with one working arm against three enemies. For Kazu, who'd been lazy his whole life, immobility was nothing new. He'd learned to fight in ways that didn't exert him, eliminated unnecessary motions, and functioned in constraining situations. That was the "talent" his master had recognized; the boy's disdain for hard work ensured that he'd find the simplest solutions and survive the arduous life of a slayer. Demons, on the other hand, made the worst use of their enhanced bodies; they could easily overpower their human opponents, so they had little reason to improve.

Kazu's undistinguished slashes sufficed to defeat them. The effect of the pills made his attacks fast enough to slip by their defenses and confuse any observer. There was the occasional moment of brilliance, when the swordsman pivoted about his binding post and executed Buzzing Mosquito Thunder on the swing back. Otherwise, the chief was surprised at the panting slayer's bulging veins after what seemed like only a minute of action.

"Are you on drugs?" he asked, seething at the sight of his fallen limbs.

"Yes..." Kazu replied, rousing his body from his first form's finish and seizing the chance. A patter of steps sounded off the stone floor as he raced toward his foe, waving his weapon and covering his weak spots, producing five straight attacks around him and slicing clean through the poles that emerged to slow him. It wasn't that he'd figured the demon out. No, he acted more on instinct than reason. "Second Style: Lightning Ball!"

He couldn't even say the name of his technique right, the chief thought, as he hopped back some distance and raised a sturdier wall in the time he bought. The gravely wounded slayer had held like a taut wire against the devil's advisers, frayed within but fighting to keep its shape. Smacking him aside and targeting Miyaji earlier, his enemy realized, let some much-needed slack into the cord that made it snap back harder. But the creature, with every summoned spike in every relevant direction, was prepared to sever it. Sharp, steel appendages blasted from the dirt, spanning the ends of the room in case Kazu tried to run around the barrier.

"You're dead!" came the human's muffled threat, giving no clue about the direction of his approach. When he reappeared in the air, however, guarding with one katana and drawing back the second in a strike, the words suddenly made sense.

Yet the fiend couldn't have been more alive. He'd purposely left himself open from above, since Kazu's inspired offense would clear any improvised bars he threw in his path, and exploited the boy's true blind spot. An iron tentacle reared up, snatched him by his pants, and hurled him away, freezing the moment it released him and becoming part of the scenery.

"No, you," the monster rejoined, torn between shaking his head and his newly regenerated arms. "Slayers really are criminals, having no respect for the law and doing every kind of drug. But that last bit of fire has been extinguished."

Last edited:
As the iron maiden closed in on him, Miyaji had little time to think as he instinctively wedged his Naginata to keep the doors from impaling him instantly; as the chief promptly rushed at him, the slayer was continuously left without room to react and operate, and his rush to regain his footing and respond to the attacks was immediately interrupted by a swift punch to the gut that flung him into the wall behind him. His back slammed against the wall, causing Miyaji to spit up a glob of blood and struggle for breath as he fell to the ground. It seemed that upon the loss of his allies, the chief had abruptly switched to a demeanor of all-business, his prideful arrogance showing less often than usual. After tossing Kazu aside with an iron tentacle, the demon returned his previously interrupted attention to Miyaji, instantly breaking into a sprint to continue his beat-down of the Demon Slayer. His eyes narrowed with contempt and voice continuing to seethe with malice, the chief threatened through gritted teeth, "Well, might as well eliminate any live embers while I'm at it."

The enemy charged at him with speeds to which Miyaji was still unable to react, and without having the time to reach for his blade, he barely avoided a flying knee that just grazed his ear, drawing blood and crashing into the wall like the dense concrete was nothing at all. Rolling out of the way, Miyaji backed up as quickly as he could, desperate to reclaim any ounce of composure he could get before the chief closed off the opportunity once again. He was only able to catch one good breath that was still clipped as the chief thrust an arm forward, and at his command, chunks of the walls burst forth and hurtled toward Miyaji, approaching from several different angles. For some reason that the slayer couldn't identify, the incoming pillars of concrete seemed to move noticeably slower than the attacks he had to avoid earlier during the fight, but regardless, they continued to rush at him with incredible speed.

Quickly sucking in an acceptable amount of air for the first time in a while, Miyaji burst forward into a sprint, weaving under and around the pillars of rock as he had done countless times before, until his Naginata was finally in sight. He continued to avoid any attempts from the chief to direct him astray from the path to his weapon by altering the course of the pillars, and after scooping up the polearm, Miyaji set off onto a straight path toward the demon. With a hoarse, scratchy yell, he then leapt at the chief, his blade drawn back for a slash at his target's neck as he fell. Fifth Form: Crashing Down of Molten Rock! However, the attack had about the same effect as it did the last time Miyaji attempted it on a demon that occupied Hokori Castle; lashing out as well, the chief stopped the swing halfway, ducking forward and halting the polearm's trajectory by grabbing the vacant upper segment of the shaft. With a curt huff of disdain, the chief reached out with his free hand to grab the back of Miyaji's head, bringing it in for a nasty elbow to the chin, and bringing it down to slam it against his knee. As the slayer stumbled backward, blood streaming from his nose and busted lip, the demon further widened the gap by also aiming a swift front kick to the stomach before straightening back up.

Not letting up his assault for a second, the chief promptly raised a hand and tightened it into a fist, and at that moment, the steel appendage that had been used to throw Kazu elsewhere and had stood completely still at the demon's side suddenly shattered into dozens of jagged, sizable chunks of metal that hovered where they broke off. The chief thrust his arm forward once more, opening his fist, and the thick, needle-like fragments of steel were fired at the Demon Slayer before him. Miyaji looked up just in time to see the projectiles hurtling toward him and, brandishing his Naginata in both hands, began spinning the blade at high speeds. As it continued to rotate and gain velocity, Miyaji began approaching the demon yet again, shifting the gyrating polearm from hand to hand to deflect the bullets and knock them aside. Once all of the fragments were expended, the chief narrowed his eyes and lunged forward, and Miyaji stopped twirling his polearm before sprinting at the enemy as well.

His attempt to aim multiple slashes at the chief to whittle him down with Blazing Step had proved just as unsuccessful as his last attempt to cut down the demon, and after knocking the blade out of Miyaji's hands with ease, the two were locked in hand-to-hand combat. An uppercut was slammed back down, a right hook was parried with a raised forearm, a kick to the knee was blocked with the shin, and many more intense exchanges followed; however, even when it seemed the most like both demon and slayer were evenly matched, the chief continued to overpower Miyaji. A blundered jab to the head was more than easy to capitalize on, and the demon immediately took hold of that opportunity. Several consecutive body blows to the sides and stomach, indicative of the boxing style, caused the slayer to double over, to which the chief responded by slamming an elbow down onto Miyaji's exposed back, knocking him to the ground. He then followed up with two swift kicks, one to the face, and one to the stomach to seal the deal. The chief leveled a cool stare at Miyaji's crumpled body, and as he continued to look down on the slayer with disdain, he took the time to dust himself off.

Such unnecessary work could have easily been resolved with the help of his Blood Demon Art, of course. However, not only had he wanted to break Miyaji with his own hands and make the insolent human suffer, but just as he stooped down to the barbaric tactics so fervently praised by humans, as he had done with Miyaji, he would display to the rest of Hokori the ruthlessness of their own behavior. He would continue to watch the unnecessary writhe and die, just as those of their own kind did; he would continue to govern only the fittest and discard the lesser, just as the humans did. And his reign would continue for the rest of time....

For good.

Last edited:
What was it that motivated demon slayers when they lost their blades, the chief wondered. Was it sheer stupidity, survival instinct, or raw mental strength that possessed Miyaji to fight a superior being like him? He was in no hurry, steadily beating the answer out of him, stomping him out like a bobbing brush and painting the floor with his blood. It wasn't a pretty picture.

But the wind stirred, his feet moved, and a blade passed, grazing his cheek and preventing him from finishing it. Though the weapon did not take his head, it did him, by surprise. He set his stunned eyes on his attacker as soon as he'd floated aside and instantly recognized Kazu. The smoke cleared around the wall he should've hit, revealing footprints in the stone and the fact that he hadn't hit it at all. His energy-filled legs had exploded off the surface and launched him toward the chief at a speed faster than that with which he'd been thrown.

Now the slayer simply stood there, seeming for a moment like he'd slowed down. But he whipped around in the next second and vanished in a blur. The fiend instinctively pulled a pillar from the floor, broke it off, and wielded it like a sword. This was solider than what Kazu could cut, he swore, as the room's changing air guided his eyes to the likeliest place he'd reappear. His makeshift blade followed, and when the redhead materialized where he'd anticipated, they clashed. Both were grounded now, unlocking their weapons, targeting chinks in the other's guard and locking them once more. One lost the advantage as quickly as he gained it, pushing the foe back then driven back himself. The chief overpowered Kazu at every prolonged encounter, but the latter was like a grasshopper, jumping from one drawn-out stalemate and surprising him from another direction.

It didn't last long. The fiend was getting a read on the slayer even when it seemed his eyes didn't know where to look, diverting some of his attention to setting a trap and gritting his teeth as Kazu kept up the pressure. But his efforts paid dividends, for when the swordsman landed exactly where predicted, a steel hand erupted from the ground and crushed him. Demons regenerated faster than humans, but the first thing that grew on the panting chief's face was a wicked grin.

"Fight like an insect, and get squashed like one..." he gloated. "The more you resist, the more satisfying it is."

The hand savored every moment of it, rubbing the tips of its fingers in delight and snapping the boy's bones, playing with his corpse like a doll and fixing to toss him aside in a similar fashion. The fiend flashed his fangs and stared intently at the closed palm, tightening its grip and squeezing the slayer's juices out of him.

Ultimately, however, it was he who was caught, in the convincing illusion that Kazu had died. Only when the demon noticed that the popping noises were distinctly electric did it come undone, and only when sparks crawled down the hand in the absence of blood did the smiling corners of his mouth crawl back down his face. The final thing that descended on him was a Nichirin blade, reemerging in the possession of Kazu and not the lightning afterimage he'd destroyed. The katana narrowly avoided the latter's head and sliced his arm clean off as he stumbled back to dodge. Despite his careful planning, he was a step slower—a realization that left him dumbstruck and irritated.

"GAAAH!" he exclaimed, swiping at the air with his surviving arm, stomping one leg behind him and stopping his fall. A glistening pole blasted from the wall and divided the room between demon and slayer. There were two things the human could have done—one, duck the bar and go in for the kill, or two, jump back and reassess his strategy. The hyperfunctioning Kazu was beyond planning, but he knew enough to play it safe. He kicked off the ground in a quick retreat, sensing the spikes that could spring from the sleek cylinder should he get too close.

What he couldn't foresee was that the pole didn't stop when it hit the opposite end of the room. The moment it touched the stone, it veered off course and sped toward the boy. He wasn't in any danger, evading as he'd done before. But with the second miss, the bar bounced off the wall and drew another segment between the castle margins. The human's one-track mind focused only on the immediate threat, dodging each subsequent growth and failing to see an intricate maze that was steadily building around him.

He's in trouble... Miyaji noted. Though I should really speak for myself.

The other slayer was in no better shape. He'd struggled to rise as his partner kept the chief busy and quietly retrieved his Naginata, but that was all he could manage. The ever-extending pole seldom targeted the Volcano user, but when it did, it was unpredictable. His feet barely left the floor in time, and his eyes could hardly betray the pattern they'd expected it to follow. The only constant seemed to be the agile Kazu, who weaved through the jungle gym that had formed overhead and always seemed to be out of its way. To the untrained eye, he adapted well to the changing landscape, climbing the established links and finding a safer perch when the steel raced at him from below. But therein lay the problem—the chief was dictating the fight, and the slayer was merely adapting. The grasshopper, in his drugged fixation on imminent threats, found himself in a tight web that limited his motion.

There was a silver lining. Kazu was an effective distraction. Miyaji had a virtually clear path to the enemy, in that no new hazards sprung up to stall him. The old obstacles were all there—steel boughs over which he tiptoed, poles that jutted from the floor, and twisted metal arcs under which he limboed. But beyond that was a clearing, and the chief's turned back. He had him. The demon was enthralled watching Kazu fight in a shrinking space, orient himself midair and angle his blade at the last second to repel a sweeping pole. He relished the sound of the two shafts locking together, the sparks they generated as the sword's wielder rode it down. The Volcano breather could muster all the strength in his legs for one last charge and take the fiend's head right then.

But something stifled him. The chief's hand had suddenly risen and his gaze had fallen, away from Kazu to the corner of his eyes. A steel bar had grown from a pole Miyaji had passed and pierced his abdomen—a hasty attack that missed his vitals and pinned him there. The demon had no time to make sure he was actually dead, or enjoy the irony that the one who'd snuck up on him couldn't watch his own back. He returned his attention to the redhead, because any moment now, the jaws of the maze would snap shut.

Damn. I'm too late, Miyaji thought. He knew he was powerless to thwart his foe, but he still tried to work his body off the stake. The onset of pain stopped him at every attempt, however, and in his state of near immobility, a sense of despair worked its way into his mind just as furiously. He gritted his teeth, either steeling himself for one last push or resigning himself to Kazu's fate. His eyes were like screens, wide with both pain and expectation, that the final turn of the endless wire would skewer Kazu and complete the metal trap's embrace.

Instead, there was an explosion, which rained broken links onto the floor and weathered the chief's grin. The redhead's Nichirin had screeched along every segment of the maze, active and dormant, tasting it thoroughly and probing its weaknesses. So when he next thrust his weapon, it was decisive. The lack of space didn't matter, for everything his katana touched crumbled away and destabilized the structure. The slayer had exposed not only the maze's vulnerabilities, but also the fiend's grave miscalculation—that Kazu swung his sword thoughtlessly.

"Tch..." the enemy dismissed. It was beautiful, the way he'd burst from the steel cocoon like a butterfly and sailed to the ground. But a fleeting sense of freedom pleased the demon more. He summoned a bed of spikes to impale the human, letting the feeling of triumph swell inside him like a flame only to extinguish when he reached the floor. "You're still right where I want you."

"Sixth Form: Electric Lightning Shower!"

The silent warrior finally spoke up, the words distorted as he spun through the air. His blade crackled with electricity and, on the next swing, whipped at the earth like a lightning bolt. The chief's wrist faltered as currents ran through the emerging bars, stopping them in their tracks and severing his control. Sparks danced on the poles when the field settled, celebrating their takeover.

"I'm going to kill you...!" the pink-skinned man seethed, unable to tap into the floor. Drugged and ignorant of the danger he'd been in throughout the battle, the boy now paced calmly toward him, as if suddenly aware of his own advantage. The suit's eyes drifted to the ceiling, and a large chandelier that had been curiously overlooked. "...For storming into my house uninvited, slaying my advisers, and destroying my property. If you wanted candy, you should've just knocked. Like this!"

A massive stone hand blasted from the roof, snatched the hanging light, and slammed it onto Kazu like a chain mace. A downburst of smoke obscured the area, so the chief wasn't certain that it had hit. One thing was clear in the confusion, however—the foggy outline of a swinging chandelier, which he could transmute into anything he wished. No one asked how much more the castle could take. In the heat of the encounter, the question didn't matter—not to the demon, and not to the nightjar that comfortably observed from a high window.

Last edited:
Feeling doomed to watch helplessly as the chief began beating down on Kazu with a chandelier, Miyaji gritted his teeth in frustration. Would he die here? Stopped in his efforts to rid the world of harmful demons like the chief so soon? Phyra's condition was still unknown, and Kazu was definitely running on nothing but adrenaline, which would certainly be running out soon. The spire piercing through his side was determined to keep him pinned, and any previous attempts to pull it out were futile. The walls and roof of the castle began to crumble, raining down debris as the chief continued to wreak havoc, sure to bury Miyaji if he stayed where he was. Surely, all hope was lost.

Not.

Gripping the spike that protruded through his body, Miyaji let out a fierce roar through clenched teeth and seething winces of pain; acting on sheer willpower to try and alleviate the pain--though it surely wouldn't--he inched his body forward, finally pulling himself off of the metal stake before collapsing onto the ground. Blood immediately began pooling where he laid, and as he slowly forced himself back onto his feet, Miyaji began taking deep, concentrated breaths with rapid succession to energize every cell of his body. He had but a few minutes tops of Total Concentration juice left, so any wasted energy or haphazard movements would spell out his end. However, Miyaji was now hell-bent on seeing his work to the end regardless of success or failure; if these were his last moments, they would not be spent watching helplessly as the demon won.

The commotion caused by Miyaji's movement had surely caught the chief's attention, and the demon faltered for a brief moment mid-chandelier swing as the slayer approached. Naginata in hand, Miyaji charged forward at the chief, roaring with burning intensity as smoke and embers were expelled from his breath and his blade glowed with a deep, bright scarlet. He had used a great amount of the lingering energy he could muster to avoid all counter-measures fired by the chief as he continued to force his way at his target, ducking and weaving through any concrete or steel hurled his way.

"With that wound, you'll do nothing, even if you made it to where I am," the chief scoffed, gesturing casually with his hands as parts of the castle's walls and roof continued to hurtle toward the slayer, but his doubt slowly became anger as the human remained undeterred before drawing his blade back and swinging once.

And once more. And swinging again... and again.... and again.

I can't put any less than all I have into this attack, or I lose. Miyaji unleashed a near unending sequence of attacks with his Naginata, each swing growing in power and denoting a much greater increase in fury behind it. Breath of the Volcano, 11th Form: Sakurajima's Wrath. Acting purely on instinct alone, Miyaji attacked, ducked, weaved, attacked again, ducked again, weaved again; every single attack was aimed with unyielding ferocity as well as meticulous precision, the blade dancing around the chief as it whittled the demon down. The chief was surprised at the sudden increase in power and speed, struggling to deflect many attacks as they cut into him. However, it became clear that Miyaji was already beginning to run out of stamina, and upon this realization, the demon's face twisted into a wild grin, and the human furrowed his brows in frustrated urgency.

Kazu, you better stand up soon, or I won't be able to hold him off for much longer.

Kazu reacted as Chandelier fell with great speed at him, he used his sword, using it as a pole to change the flow of the object fall and redirect it. It looked like it hit due to amout of dust and sound that made breaking sword and Chandelier that hit the ground. Young redhead demon slayer lost his balance and fall, but wasn't demaged in all of this, but he was tired... Horribly tired, everything hurt. Blood, red juices of his life were dripping from every wound, and he had so many wounds that it was hard to tell if he really gonna stand up ever again. Normal person would already be dead.

With a greatly blurry vision Kazu looked towards the noise that Miyaji and the Chief were making, it took him a while. His brain procceding slowly as he watched Miyaji fighting against the Chief and doing greatly, each of his move seemed so strong as if he wasn't tired and wounded at all... But he guessed that it only looks like this.

Meanwhile Demon regained focus and its cool and then a sudden wall appeard between him and Miyaji as he used the floor to make it, he protected himself from another deadly hit that could really end up badly if it hit. Although Demons regenerated faster than humans, Chief looked like a net, with all those wounds that Naginata gave him in hands of its expierienced user, which Miyaji definitly was.
Demon had no time, dust and small parts of the ceilings, floors were falling apart, cracking, slowly getting even more and more destroyed.
"Will the two of you finally die!! You are the worst uninvited guest I ever had! Just dissapire already!" Chief yelled, soon from the wall he had made a giant hand, palm sprouted and pushed with great force Miyaji towards the wall, another palms were heading from the walls from each other side of Miyaji and behind him on the last wall appeard huge spikes! Demon grinned "When I gonna finally end you two! No one gonna think of getting in my way ever again!"

Redhead didn't have any more time to waste... Any more time to lose... He had no doubt about it, 'Berserk's Trigger' effect was about to end and he with his wounds was about to die, but he had no regrets.. Or he won't untill he makes sure that Miyaji and Phyra are safe. He slowly got up and glanced at his Nichirin blade.. Or what has left of it... It was badly broken, but in his mind only one thing mattered and it was enough. Long enough to cut off the head.

Demon started to get impatient, stone hands were pushing Miyaji, but the demon slayer's pushed them back with the help of his Naginata with his trendemous as for human strenght. Kazu stood behind the demon and made a quiet whistle, Chief turned to Kazu out of him making this sudden sound. "So you didn't get hit? Or are you really some sort of immortal freak!!" Chief said as his patience was already gone, he couldn't understand how can this guy still be alive after all of this. Redhead was litteraly not only red in the head, he was completely red of his own blood and yet stood on his two legs, his adrenalin and 'Berserk' being the reason he still stands. Due to a Demon giving Kazu a small focus, palms slowed down with their pushing and Miyaji could definitly feel that as he start to push them back with bigger force, trying to get them out of the way.

The quiet boy with his broken sword took the last deep breath, it seemed truly intense, although its hard to describe intense breathing.. Thats exacly what it was. Kazu took a better hold on his broken sword, shining pure white light of the lightnings surrounded his Nichirin katana remainings and from point where it was broken, formed something of an image as if the katana of electricity has never been broken.Name of the last breathing style tehnique of Kazu was about to leave his lips.
Poles and spikes came from almost overused and destroyed ceiling and floor wanting to finish Kazu once and for all as Chief with a devilish grin and eyes looking into a future was seeing his victory.

And then it arrived, first technique on the berserk state. Kazu's fastest in life...
"Thunderclap and Flash..."

As demon blinked he saw Kazu in front of him, Chief would get a bit worried as his eyes couldn't notice the speed that let Kazu get so close... But Demon slayer fell at the floor as berserk effect was over, and blood came from his wounds in a huge amount... Kazu fell, Miyaji, although still alive, was about to share his fate. At least demon thought so... "Finally, you finally decided to die you little bug?!" He said and looked at a truly terrible state of Kazu, then his eyesight get a bit lower to the ground, and then he noticed that he sees someone's legs, that in addiction to a fact those legs was standing on a ceiling? No... It was the floor... His residence floor.. And he recognized the legs.
"No! You... You are kidding right, if I can see my body then... No... Impossible, impossible, impossible!!" His words came from whisper to a yell. "It cannot be possible! It took me so long to build, to claim, secure all of this! And.. Just two random guys came and destroyed everything!..My hause, People and me! I curse you! Demon Slayer, I curse you both till the end of your lifes!" He keep yelling as his head and body were both slowly turning to ash...

Both Miyaji and Kazu couldn't bother of listening to Chief curses... The second one being unconcious, with the mortal wounds possible to end his life at any moment. Meanwhile first one noticed that last attacks of Chief overused the resources that his residence could provide to him. Walls began to crack and crumble, sound of the breaking stones and falling wood and bricks kept to be louder and louder! Miyaji used lasts of his strenght and ran up to Kazu. The boy was still breathing.. Something like a one barely able to hear pant for minute, but he was alive. Miyaji decided to save him, picked him up and escaped as fast as he could from residence. Boulders, Chandeliers, wooden supports and many more was falling at them, if any of them hit it would be the end. Kazu was also not the most light person and Miyajis wounds and fact he was tired wasn't at all helping. But he kept pushing himself, dodging or avoiding any threat on his way, untill they finally got away from there... When they finally were save, Miyaji kneeled down to the ground and panted greatly tired, he let Kazu fell at the ground and Kazu himself,although still alive, looked almost like a corpse....

"With everyone so afraid of demons, I've made a killing," a man muttered to himself as he towed a cart of colored bottles. The common person, who wasn't tucked safely away in a mansion, didn't have the luxury of denying the flesh-eating monsters that walked the night. But there were so many other dangers to fall prey to—if not the nocturnal beasts, then the snake oil salesmen who slithered in the light of day, pawning off their divine elixirs, lucky charms, and other talismans meant to repel evil. Normally, these false remedies would collect dust, and the ones selling them would give up the unscrupulous trade and get real jobs, but people made stupid decisions in a climate of fear and bought them in droves.

The two-story, wooden building in front of this particular fraudster was the site of his most ambitious scam yet. If he could get the apothecary to stock his wares, he'd rake in a fortune. He struggled to open the door with his right hand and brought his cart inside with his left. No more stress and strain from then on. He needed to project confidence if he was to close this deal.

"Hey, watch where you're going!" a voice growled.

So much for not messing things up. The merchant had collided with someone the moment he'd entered. As a career manipulator, he always had the right words ready to weasel his way out of a confrontation. But when his eyes adjusted to the hooded figure he'd bumped into and noticed his purple skin, fangs, and slitted eyes, he simply froze.

"Wait your turn. There's a line," Pearlan chided, then turned to the clerk and resumed his business. "I'm here for my employer-mandated urine sample!"

The apothecary nodded, handed the Duke a bottle over the counter, and showed him to the bathroom. Though the deed happened behind closed doors, the swindler remained uncomfortable, almost enough to piss himself instead. He'd made money off people's superstitions but had never come face to face with the stuff of their nightmares. So this was a real live demon, he thought, a smirk creeping to his face in the 30 seconds before Pearlan's return. No wonder the humans' fears were so profitable.

"All right, next," the shopkeeper called, breaking his reverie and receiving the fiend's fluids. "Wait... hold on. Why is your urine red?"

"Just because the color of my piss is weird doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. Test it and find out," Pearlan retorted. For once he had the sense not to broadcast the fact that he was a demon and peed differently. Or maybe he'd just forgotten to, since he had other, more exciting things to attend to. The same couldn't be said of the bleary-eyed apothecary, who set the filled bottle down and sighed as the Duke exited.

"Okay, I'm ready for you now," he droned to the waiting merchant. "Let me guess... You're a solicitor?"

"Not just any solicitor," the schemer replied with sudden enthusiasm, producing a red potion and delivering the pitch. "What I have in my hands is a panacea that grants eternal life to whomever drinks it, and I'm willing to offer my stock to you for a reasonable price."

"I see..." the worker responded, accepting the concoction and giving it a cursory glance before setting it aside. "So you're a typical snake oil salesman. I've dealt with your kind before, and I tell every one of them that I'm not interested in buying their junk. If that's your only business here, please see yourself out the door."

"A snake oil salesman?!" the man sounded off, snatching his potion off the counter and backing defiantly away. If he were talking to some random schmuck, he might have kept his cool and upped his persuasion. Knowing he wouldn't get anywhere with the apothecary's damning assessment, however, he quickly stormed out. "I've more satisfied clients in a single day than you see in a week!"

It wasn't that the merchant's pride was hurting. He just derived satisfaction from guilting an honest man. The most pious, upstanding citizens were often the easiest to trick. The herbalist was merely the exception to the rule, and he wouldn't let a small bump derail his one-track, business-oriented mind. He promptly returned to his horse-drawn carriage, loaded his cart's contents inside, and arrived at his next stop two weeks later.

The desert village of Hokori was a harsh, unwelcoming environment. Perhaps that was why its resident tribe was so inviting in comparison. An outsider had to possess a strong, honorable character to brave the harsh conditions and make it here, for the barrens would quickly break any weaker-willed, self-interested traveler who meant them harm. Whoever survived them, the deeply spiritual people at the land's mercy believed, had the desert's mandate. So the merchant settled in nicely, his potion sales skyrocketing among a naïve public captivated by the few novelties that penetrated the wasteland, but insulated from the bigger picture of the outside world. Not all of his wares were quack cures. Some were common medicines, energy drinks, or supplements—nothing special by civilized society's standards. There were enough functioning remedies to impress the tribesmen, however. The most effective lies were hidden among truths, and pretty soon, word of a miracle worker had spread throughout the town. It was in those conversations that the merchant learned of Hokori's ailing chief, the witch doctors' solutions that had failed to cure him and the short time he had left. His most promising business opportunity yet—a village head with deeper pockets than anyone else—had been presented to him on a plate. In a mere few days, he was granted an audience with the chief and his advisers, and arrived at the tribe's central tent with a lone immortality elixir in hand.

"So you're the fabled miracle worker," one of the ruling class stated, "and I understand that you have a cure for our leader's sickness."

"Yes, it's right here," the grinning swindler answered, transferring the bottle to the man who'd introduced him. Dispersing the chief's other aides who'd crowded him in anticipation of a recovery, the latter opened the vessel and tipped its liquid into the bedridden patient's mouth.

"Of course, the cure won't take effect right away," the merchant spoke up in the silence that followed. "He'll need a daily dose for the next month or so, but I have more than enough potions in my-"

All of a sudden, the chief rose and stretched, evoking gasps from everyone in the room. The feverish red of his skin had lightened to an unnatural pink, and the sickness in his eyes had been consumed by a feral intensity. But the most striking of all the changing expressions was the merchant's own face, colored with surprise. This wasn't supposed to happen. What could have been in that potion? Had he mixed it wrong? Had he taken something he shouldn't have? The plan was to pawn off a month's worth of do-nothing elixirs, prey on the village leadership and suck Hokori dry. Now, it was the chief who eyed him like prey, approaching with the deliberate gait of a prowling lion and licking his lips.

"Confined to a bed all this time... I've grown so..." he muttered, pausing his thought and taking off, pouncing on the fraudster and biting into his neck. In the end, the salesman, who'd fancied himself a cunning serpent, was a sacrificial lamb to a god who'd rule Hokori in the darkness for the next five years.

"...Hungry."

~~~

The light of the next day made the battle with Rurona seem like a distant memory. Sena was glad that the fangs peeking from the demonized children's mouths had been replaced with smiles as they sparred, and grateful that she could spend the day as an ordinary camp counselor. She sometimes wondered what it would be like to live a normal life, forget her past and free herself from the dangers of the path she'd chosen. A passing fancy—that was all it was. She knew she couldn't feel safe in a world that her family's killer still inhabited, nor could she move on without resolving her hatred.

With the enormous weight that she carried, Sena appreciated every break she got. She had time to spare after she'd finished sparring with the children, and she used it to swim in the cleansed waters of Kessho Lake. Well, technically the cleanup crew still needed to confirm that. The swordswoman, however, was confident enough in her abilities to relax in them. She was more worried about Kit gawking at her swimsuit-clad body anyway.

When the cleanup crew arrived, Sena finally decided to cover up and reassume her professional demeanor. The campers rested in the cabins as an army of slayers swarmed the grounds and conducted their investigation. Only one among them approached Kit and Sena to officially take over their mission. Yet the orange-haired, yellow-eyed girl was overwhelming enough alone.

"Well, look who it is. The shameless kill-stealer from Final Selection," she mocked Sena.

"Am I supposed to know who you are?" the scarfed slayer asked.

"My name is Tora!" the girl snapped. "And like I said, you know me from Final Selection. You beheaded my target instead of minding your own business. I'm sure your current partner knows what that's like."

Sena smiled in surrender. She couldn't argue with that. Confessing that she still didn't recognize her was off the table as well, since this Tora girl appeared to have a short fuse and would only be angered further.

"Nice to see you again, I suppose," the blue-haired girl answered instead, sighing indifferently.

"Yeah, 'nice' to see you for sure," Tora shared the sentiment. "I'm surprised you've even survived this long."

"Pretty bold words coming from someone who couldn't finish off a demon herself and is now stuck doing cleanup duty," Sena retorted. Maybe Kit's penchant for banter had rubbed off on her and caused the normally composed girl to fire shots of her own. While Tora had as massive an inferiority complex as he did, she didn't take it quite as well.

"You think you're better than me?! We've been demon slayers for the same amount of time, but I've seen things you couldn't possibly imagine..."

"What are you talking about?"

"I mean..." Tora assumed a warning tone. "...that the demons you've fought up until now are nothing compared to what's out there. They've all been unintelligent, hunger-driven lone wolves whose smartest plays were using other humans against you. Everyone in the Corps believes the same myth that they're too primal and self-interested to form groups. But there are monsters out there who have the capacity to think, organize, and melt into human society. I've encountered them myself and barely escaped with my life. So I suggest you get off your high horse and watch your back from now on."

Sena listened patiently to the girl's little speech, hardly stifling a smile. It was bold of Tora to make claims about her experiences, when she knew nothing of them. The blue-haired slayer had been chasing a single fiend for the past few years, one who fit the shorter swordswoman's description and was perhaps even more elusive. That others like him existed didn't worry her, since they were just obstacles standing in the way of her archfoe.

"Those sorts of demons?" Sena dismissed. "I know them all too well, and I'm ready."

~~~

It never ceased to amaze the Mystery Eater how cruel humans were to each other. Without realizing it, no less. The mortal spectators cheered like madmen from the stands of his underground arena, where a young man armed only with a regular sword fought for his life against a demon. The imp wasn't complaining. If they weren't so eager to watch one of their own die, then his business model wouldn't work. He observed the smoothness with which it unfolded from the height of a balcony reserved for esteemed guests.

"Excuse me, sir," a lesser fiend approached him. "I received word from a nightjar that Hokori Castle has collapsed, and the chief has been defeated."

"I see," the Mystery Eater replied. As the subordinate proceeded to give a more detailed account, the devil mused that the slayers whom they were keeping an eye on were growing stronger, though not enough to become a threat. There were so many more powerful entities to weigh them against—the royals, the government, the Corps, and human society as a whole—that they, despite their recent results, were the faintest blip on his radar. At this stage, he might have even considered them allies, since they eliminated other intelligent creatures that competed with the Red Demon for resources. "We'll have to send a few of our own to salvage the rubble, and establish our presence in the power vacuum. What are your thoughts, Branch Leader Suji?"

The muscled, stoic, seven-foot monster whom the Eater addressed was none other than Suji, commander of the Gladiators and champion of the ring. He watched intently as the human, missing an arm now, inched away from the demon on the arena floor below. It was a shame, really. This boy had showed promise, lasting as long as he did with an ineffective blade, but his efforts ultimately ended in failure and Suji was again without a worthy opponent. The imp had asked his thoughts, but the connections in his brain only formed in response to the gruesome disconnections of the human's limbs.

"Good exercise..." he managed. Suji was the rare kind of demon who appeared to possess human intelligence, but spoke with fists rather than words. Somehow the Mystery Eater knew exactly what he meant. Sending the Gladiators to do the heavy lifting and mine the rubble of Hokori Castle was indeed good exercise, and expanding his influence to the disorderly city was a brilliant plan. The removal of the ruling class had all kinds of consequences on a society, from chaos to faction to sudden job insecurity. With no vision to guide the impoverished residents, the imp's operation would quietly supplant the chief's, and the new coliseum he planned to construct below the desert sands would draw in countless challengers seeking prize money.

"Slayers destroy their enemies with no understanding of the long-term ramifications," the Mystery Eater stated. "They deal with the imminent danger and disappear, thinking that they left the site of their mission in peace. But the people they free from one demon's trap are doomed to fall into another's."

"The one slayer you're so fond of...?" Suji muttered.

"Ah, yes. Sena," the hatted devil recalled, "the only one among them who had the foresight to call for backup and ensure the threat was gone for good. It's too bad that she's cold, distant, and thinks only of herself and her experiences. Her strong sense of independence leaves little room for others to contribute, which will be her undoing."

"The others? Worthy opponents..." the Branch Leader hoped.

"They have much to learn..." the Mystery Eater contested. "The redhead, Akane, is the most incompetent among them, constantly finding herself in vulnerable positions and relying on others to do her job. Dolan is the most despicable, slaying demons because he thinks it's fun or some other frivolous reason. We intercepted the letter he penned to his family earlier, where he enthused about his first kill like a child ignorant of the blood on his hands. An airhead like him probably never gave thought to demon-human coexistence, and the evil that the Corps really is."

The imp knew that Suji had no verbal response. But he could tell, from the balcony rails that snapped under the latter's slammed fist when he finished speaking, that they felt the same. They may have been friends to demons, but they were the slayers' worst nightmare.

~~~

"What's this? A castle in a town called Hokori mysteriously collapsed overnight? And there are rumors that demons were running the city the whole time?" Pearlan paraphrased the newspaper he was reading. "Ah shit, do you think this'll raise questions about other demons in government and cause an uprising against me? I might have to do another publicity stunt to convince them I'm a good person, like applying for the same hospital job I did five years ago. Which means taking another urine sample..."

"If you're so worried, then go outside and feed your 'people' some lie that'll calm them down," Arashi responded, keeping his eyes closed and meditating in the center of the mayor's office.

"WORRIED?! I am NOT worried! In fact, I know just the lie to tell them!" Pearlan spat. He opened the curtains that backed his desk and stepped into the crisp, night air of the balcony. "LISTEN UP, EVERYBODY! IT'S YOUR MAYOR SPEAKING!"

It didn't look like the Duke had lost any popularity among the citizens, for they quickly dropped what they were doing and gathered around. But the royal mastermind, who sought to minimize every risk, delivered his speech anyway, even if the words hurt more to say than they helped.

"I know all of you are wary that a demon is in charge, especially after recent events, but I assure you... I'm a good soul who will protect each and every one of you, and will NOT burn your kids alive, infect their ears with curse words, or give them heart attacks in 40 years!" Pearlan internally cringed with every utterance. He powered through, though, because the last part of his address was the most important. "Thank you for listening! I’ll see you all in Season 2!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.