• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Daiche Region and other Sprite Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Here's your motivation Miss Charae.

The cave is very nicely done and I even found the Sea Shard. It sticks out from the background pretty well. It would be a hard one to miss.

If you don't mind a suggestion, I think Squishy would be an interesting fakemon. An aggressive, canivorous creature known to attack humans that invade its territory. But that's just my thaught, you do as you please as it's your region and your ideas.

I see the shard piece thing, it looks like a thing you get for shell bell (I forgot what they're called...). The pallet for the cave is really nice, I just like it a lot for some reason. I like the Wool idea, maybe you could have a new ability or something that lets you take Wool from Pokemon like the Mareep line.
The Black Flute repels Pokemon if I recall, if only for like a few steps.
Nice work on this one!​

Wooo! Well people, I've finished the Ishisokoumen Info Sheets, so they'll come up soon. Be prepared to scroll down a bit since they are a little large, but hopefully not as large as Umisokoumen.

First off, yeah...the Sea Shard is one of those things you get a Sea Shell (used to make the Shell Bell in R/S/E), only recoloured from it's icky grey colour to a palette more consistent with the tone of the Cave. Like I said people, this is based in a large part on the games themselves, so I will be using pre-made things quite often, changing them as needed.

So, I'm sure y'all's been waiting for this, here be Ishisokoumen

IshisokumenInfo-1.png

Ah, yes, Ishisokoumen, literally Rockside City. Because it's surrounded by a mountain and a cliff. Which are by their very nature, are ROCKY places. Hence the name.

Doesn't the White Wool look nice and fluffy. Ehehehehe... It was the first one I made of the 'Wool' series of Items, the other colours of Wool will be coloured as I need them. For interest sake, the Rock Smash HM is the one with the Cut Tree next to the Gym, the Wool is behind the Pokecentre and the Fine Ash (another new Item), is the one behind the Rock Smash rock.

The Fine Ash, along with all the Ash (besides the Sacred Ash btw), is used in Glassmaking. Fine Ash is used, not for Flutes, but for other Items, mostly furniture and other things to do with your Secret Bases (the corresponding Glass is the Clear, Gold, Silver and Fine Glass).

IshisokoumenBuildingInfo.png

Here we have the houses and buildings. And yes, the Pokecentre Top floor IS different, there is one more couch, a blue rug (as opposed to green or orange) and books.

The Youngster and Hiker facing each other are a double battle, and I think one of the first you come across.

IshisokumenGymInfo.png

And finally, the Gym itself. This is the FIRST Gym you fight. Note that people! First. The Gym Leader is Aleyn (pronounced Allan, or at least it's how it's pronounced in my head). He is one of those snowy versions of a Cool Trainer, only without the fluffy collar and sleeves. Then I gave him a vest, blue jeans and slightly different coloured boots and hair. You have no idea how difficult it is to do MALE trainers. And make them look good. Gah, and there are about 6 of them, including Aleyn (four Gym Leaders, and two Elite Four).

And yes, the Nosepass will probably be changed to a Region specific Pokemon later blah, blah, blah... After this battle you get the Marblebadge, which allows you to use the HM Cut outside of battle.

Ah, but you don't have it yet...do you...where on earth can it be? And you don't get it in Ishisokoumen either. Mwahahahahahahaha!

Stay tuned people, 'cause now I have reached the end of the pre-made maps. In other words, before I even started this thread, I had the maps for Hyakunen to Ishisokoumen already made, now we are getting into uncharted territory here. So please leave about 3-4 days, more if the maps are really large, on order for me to make the raw, then clean it up, then make the Info sheets.

So, until the next time, ciao!

Edit 29[sup]th[/sup] August: AAAHHHHH!!! Disaster!!! I have had a gross oversight!! I was looking back at the Daiche Region Map, and I realized that there was another route leading away from Ishisokoumen (Route 30, leading to Higasanichi Tsukigata no Shima (East Crecent Isle), and Tsukigatasokoumen no Machi (Crecentside Town) and the Safari no Chitai (Safari Zone) for anyone who's remotely interested). As a result I have had to change the raw of Ishisokoumen and change all the Info sheets as well. Well, here is the revised version, complete with your first look at a Rockclimb area. Mind you, you can't actually use Rockclimb unless you beat the Kuraisokoumen Gym (Darkside). The cave entrance leads to a very short but sweet cave, which opens onto a very short bit of land, then a huge sea Route that ends up in Tsukigatasokoumen no Machi, which is the portal town for the Safari Zone (as opposed to the normal room, you have a whole town where you stock up on Pokeblock/Poffins, Safari Balls (which you can't actually take off the Island, except if there is a Pokemon inside), and organize your Pokemon team for the battles in the Safari Zone). Ahh well, at least I haven't gone past Ishisokumen, which means it's easy enough for me to change this.

Yay! The first gym (where you fight), which has an awesome badge BTW. I have to say, your custom OWs are pretty awesome, I just really like them. Ishisokoumen itself seems to be a pretty nice small town, like one you'd see in the games a lot. For some reason, I love the book on the couch of the Pokemon center, it just seems to make it that much more real to me for some odd reason... Good work!​

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Just thought I'd mention that I love Squishy. The shading is great, especially to say that it's fully scratched. I love its expression. I like the version with fangs best I think, it adds personality ^^

Maps are fantastic as usual, I always love having a look at them.

I had a terrible moment a couple of days back. I was looking at this thread, to see if anyone had commented, and thus it was safe for me to continue, and I must have skipped Masterge77's comment, and I saw StellarWind Elsydeon's comment and I thought "Nooooooo!!! What have I done to inflame StellarWind Elsydeon's ire? Where have I gone wrong? I can't be banned!" Then I saw Masterge77's comment, and breathed a HUGE sigh of relief. At least I know I have arrived. To have someone actually banned from my own thread, gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. It also proves that StellarWind Elsydeon actually looks at my thread. Of course, if he could actually comment on the piccies, it would be the icing on the cake. He is also the first Mod/Admin to comment. Wooo! I might make him a giftart for that. ;D

Anyways, I had just come back from looking at the PRP thread and I had just read StellarWind Elsydeon comment on the PBR Wi-Fi Region and when I finished, I literally had goosebumps all up and down my arms, and I was trembling with excitement. It was either from sheer admiration, the total beauty and poetry of it, or just plain 'My god, my god, that is just so...frikin'...AWESOME!!'. Or all three, I don't know.

Anyway, on to the maps. Here is the 4th Route.

Route04Info-1.png

It is, I think, the shortest Route in the entire Region. It goes from Ishisokoumen to Gonen no Machi. It is here we get the Cut HM (the house is the Cutter's House). You can't actually get the HM until you can prove you have the Marblebadge from Ishisokoumen.

And we have our first Apricorn Tree! A partially scratched sprite, involving the reduction in size and cleaning up of one of the bigger trees and since Photoshop tends to anti-alias if you do anything other than flip horizontally or vertically, or rotate 90 or 180 degrees, I had to re-sprite the tree so it looked like a tree again. Took me about 3 hours in total. It is easy to tell which Apricorn comes from it, since all the trees are the same colour as the Apricons that come from them.

Once you pick an Apricorn, it takes 72 hours (3 days) for another Apricorn to respawn, more for the Gold and Silver trees, they're about 96 hours (4 days). And you can't do anything to speed it up.

You can also only carry a maximum of 10 of each Apricorn, once you find the Apricorn Pouch, until then it's a maximum of about 5 at a time. (For the Pokeballs the Apricorns turn into, you can carry 99 of them, same as any other Pokeball). The only exception to this is the Old Apricorn, which as I said earlier is a Key Item.

A cookie to whomever can find the Hidden Item.

Edit 4[sup]th[/sup] September: Errg...as Rayn pointed out, I haven't given you a clear indication of where you enter the Route, and where you exit it. So here is the updated map, where you enter on the right, and exit on the left.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, you'll have to excuse me for not actually giving your thread a more thorough look than what I did - I mostly dropped here to execute the n00b. But now that I'm here, might as well look around and see what we have here... ^^

I find the idea of an Ice/Steel/Ground starter trio rather interesting (even though I'm one of those people who think that SOME traditions must not be argued with and the grass/fire/water one is definitely one). Their sprites COULD use a little bit of work. They're not bad, but they aren't as good as they could be. ^^;; I'd be interested to see the rest of their lines.

The maps actually look rather nice, as do the human sprites. This is actually shaping out to be quite an interesting little region... Looking forward to see more of it. ^^

One word I can say is that its quite thorough. Well-planned and well-executed, and while it might be asking too much to include some wild independently produced Pokemon, the starters (which look quite excellent and carry an interesting concept) seem a wee bit out of place. Nevertheless, I am very impressed with how much thought you placed into this. I'm especially looking forward to the wil and wooly Gym leaders and they're Pokemon specialties. More power to you!

Oh wow, this route is nice. I really love the Apricorn tree, brings me back to the good ol' days of GSC. I think the hidden item is two tiles below the Apricorn tree, kind of hiding behind a generic pine tree.
Something that could be nice to add, if you could put like an arrow of where you enter the route (from the last route/place you made) that would be nice, because it took me a while to get that you enter the route from the east/right. And when there's a Rocksmash rock when you have no Rocksmash to get there from the west...that's kinda confusing. It's not really something you have to do, it would just be nice for people who are too lazy to scroll back to the last map.​

Ahhhhh...yeah, I forgot! In all the other Routes, I had the town/city it started from, and the town/city it finished in (I knew I forgot something!). Ah well, since it is the last one I made, I can easily change it and upload it again.

And yes, the Hidden Item is below the Apricorn Tree.

You have to go back to Umisokoumen before you can move on from Ishisokoumen, since Umisokoumen is where you get the Wavebadge and the ability to use Rocksmash outside of battle.

And about the starters, well, I guess I could make them Fire/Water/Grass, since Traditions are meant to be followed, but I really loved the idea that a new region doesn't have the same wild Pokemon that other Regions have, and the starters are all native to their own region. Chijobuta (the ground one) actually comes from around Ishisokoumen, the tunnel leading away to the right has many passages that the Chijobuta and his evolutions have made. Koutesygo (the fish), comes from around the Kouteishi no Doukutsu (Steelstone Caves) in the west, and Koorihiyoko comes from around Yukisokoumen (Snowside Town) in the north.

And while there are new Grass, Fire and Water Pokemon, these were the ones I thought up first, and so became the new Starter Trio. For anyone interested, the Starters' second evolution all are the same Type as their first, however, when they evolve into their final evolution, they all get a second type. I won't tell here, since it'll be more fun to see as I show them ^_^.

Edit 4th September:

Well, technically, this is an edit, but who cares. Here is the next town, Gonen no Machi.

GonenInfo.png

Ah yes. Gonen no Machi. One of the smallest towns, hidden away beside a very large lake. Gonen no Machi (Five-Year Town), gets it's name from the fact that the locals jokingly say a traveler comes only once every five years. In fact, if you didn't know it was there, you could easily go from Route 04 to Route 05 without even noticing.

A few things to note here, namely, the three I have already put in the piccy. A new item to be had here (technically two, but I can't claim the sprite, other than the fact that I recoloured the Berry Pouch). We have our first Toxicshard here. Find five and you can make a Toxicstone.

Oh, I might mention that Zoukibayashi actually means 'thicket', or 'copse'. It isn't a forest, just a little...well...thicket that you can find berries and an Apricorn in.

GonenBuildingInfo.png

And the buildings. Please note the cute little shadow I put on the shockingly pink rug in the Pokecenter. (I believe the carpet and rugs were donated by a rich and well-meaning person with NO taste whatsoever, and because the Nurse Joy who lives there didn't want to offend the person, she can't get rid of it. At least that's MY excuse for the rug ^_^).

The red-roofed house (the left one), is actually a small store you can buy potted flowers and plants that you can decorate your Secret Base with. Mind you, the selection isn't big, and the more spectacular ones are better found in later towns, but it is here you first find out that you can plant berries in special spots (one of which you will be able to see in Route 05).

And to conclude, Midori no Umi (Greensea), is the next project I'm working on. I already have the raw map, I just need to finish it up. And it's 864x928 pixels, or 801,792 pixels in total. And the biggest single map I have done to date.

You know, I've just realized that ALL the towns and cities so far (besides Hyakunen), have had three houses. I'll have to change that for next city.​

Status
Not open for further replies.