• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Considering 2 Baton passers

Well I'm trying to build a heavy sweeper team, and im thinking about putting 2 baton passers in.

As sweepers I would use Aerodactyl as a Lead, and typical stuff like
Dragon Dance Tyranitar, typical Dragon DanceGyarados and maybe a belly drummer charizard.

As my Baton Passers I would use Ninjask with Swords Dance and Substitute I guess, Baton Pass and Aerial Ace.
For my 2nd Baton Passer I would like to try a hybrid Scizor, with Baton Pass,Swords Dance, Roost or Substitute (dont know which one is better) and Bullet Punch with defensive/speed EVs to act as kind of a Physical Wall.

The thing is that I dont know whether 2 Baton Passers are too many ;/

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Typically just one Baton Passer is best, although in this case it isn't so much for balance...as it is for Ninjask being so good at it:

Ninjask @ Liechi Berry/Petaya Berry/Sitrus Berry
Jolly
Speed Boost

- Substitute
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Aerial Ace/X-Scissor/Swords Dance/Anything really

Between Sub and Protect, Ninjask can easily pass 6 Speed Boosts to another team member, allowing them to outspeed anything that isn't packing priority attacks. Pinch Berries + Substitute is a great combination, especially on a Baton Passer like Ninjask. The last move is filler - go with whatever you feel like.

Scizor can usually find better things to do with his time, since Ninjask severely outstrips him in the Passing department and doesn't really need anyone else to help him with his duties.

mh yeah that was one of the things that i thought about.

Do you think that there should be certain walls in a Rushdown/Sweeper team?
I mean Im using tyranitar and Scizor, which are two pokemon with many resistances and high def ratings.
I thought about using one Growler to destroy other baton pass thingies though.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Defensive Walls are always an essential option in any team - they allow you to regain control of a match that has fallen out of your favour more effectively than sweepers do, and can slow down your opponent's momentum as well.

For stopping opponent's stat boosts, Haze is the best option - it removes all stat changes from all Pokemon on the field, including your own. Roar/Whirlwind can force the opponent's Pokemon to switch out, causing it to lose any stat boosts it had beforehand if it had any, and possibly forcing out a Pokemon that would put them at a disadvantage. Keep in mind that Roar/Whirlwind force you to go last, so using them on something with poor defenses is usually very risky.

I guess thats why you have Vaporeon in your team huh :D?

Forgot about the Whirlwind priority thing. Havent played gen3 D:

Well that would take gengar back into consideration.
Having some nice Resistances to my weaknesses+this incredible movepool.

Im trying to modify my team as best as possible. I began with a simple team with pokemon that pack a punch, and now I try to change stuff so it fits~