• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Cold Nights of Caldwell DISCUSSION

First off, if you haven't checked the RP (which has much of the backstory), check it out here

I hope this'll be fun!

JUST A HEADS UP: If you get uneasy around mentions of drugs or violence, you may want to skip this. While this RP will adhere to global Pokecharms Rules (No Excessive Violence/Keep it clean/etc), it's also a gritty story [said the 15 year old boi]. There will be drugs, violence, murder- all the good stuff in a crime story. THERE'S YOUR HEADS UP!

CHARACTER TEMPLATE ---
NAME:
BACKSTORY (can be revealed in RP):
WHAT THEY DO FOR THE CITY (cop/P.I./vigilante):

That's the basic template. Feel free to add anything else you see fit.

NAME: Adrian Pelts
APPEARANCE: Tall and lean for the most part, with a bit of a pouch for a stomach. He's got stubble, with a little scar along the right side of his chin where no hair grows. He has messy brown hair, and dark brown eyes. His hands are too large for his arms. He often sports nice attire, trying to keep an image that conveys high status.
BACKSTORY: He was a journalist for a small newspaper based out of Denver, Colorado. The paper somehow caught wind of Caldwell's extremely high crime rates, despite city officials trying to keep it under wraps. So, Adrian headed to Caldwell to get a better idea of what was going on. What he saw haunted him. He published an article on the town, but it went largely unnoticed. Unsettled by the fact that people seemed to ignore this stain on America, Adrian headed to Caldwell, hoping to use his investigative skills to help the poor city.
WHAT THEY DO FOR THE CITY: PI/Detective
OTHER: He works a side job as a journalist. He's dating a woman who works at the local cinema, named Jean.

Last edited:
NAME: Rebecca Harlowe
APPEARANCE: She has straight, blonde hair that reaches about her upper back, but she always wears it up while she's at work. She has a moderate build and stands at about 5'6, with dark brown eyes that don't often betray emotion. When she's not wearing her dark blue police uniform, her street clothes consist of casual wear that is able to conceal the Glock 22 that she carries at her right hip, even off duty.
BACKSTORY: She's the 'black sheep' of a particularly conservative family from rural Pennsylvania. Most of the men in her family, including her father and two brothers, are in law enforcement, while the women tended to go for 'gentler' jobs until they married. Needless to say, Harlowe hated the expectation her family had for her to have children young and work in an office, so she left as soon as she could and tried out a few different careers. She finally enrolled in a New Jersey Police Academy and was assigned to Caldwell when she was 23. However, with it being a male-dominated profession, she found herself working especially hard to gain the respect of her peers and colleagues. The fact that she refuses to ignore Caldwell's rampant crime issue like her coworkers doesn't help either, of course. She deals with her head held high, though, because she truly loves the work and seeks to help the people gripped by their town's crime. She still keeps little to no contact with her family, aside from a few calls from her two brothers every now and then.
WHAT THEY DO FOR THE CITY: Uniformed Police Officer

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks so much! I should be able to get one up in the next couple hours. ^^

By the way, and I should've asked earlier, is it an organized-crime/mafia type of deal that keeps people from interfering with criminals, or would you say it's fairly unorganized? Or do we get to know?

That's part of the mystery. A few people already have their suspicions, but no concrete proof. The answer will reveal itself eventually. The crimes themselves are pretty sporadic.

Fire Mana

Previously Top_Smug_
NAME: Parker Bell

APPEARANCE: Parker stands at 5'9" and has a fair build with decent muscle. His hair is jet black and his eyes are deep brown with black lines. He wears a black cloak over a protective black shirt, and dark denim jeans. He carries a 3 foot tactical blade at his waist, and a 9mm pistol strapped to his left leg. He also has utility pockets filled with first aid, rope, a few smoke grenades, and a pocket knife.

BACKSTORY: Parker was born into an average family in Caldwell. His dad was a detective and his mom a nurse. They were fairly well off and Parker lived a pretty alright childhood. Around the age of 15 Parker developed severe depression, as well as anxiety and countless other mental problems. They appeared suddenly with no reason or explanation. He doesn't really remember how it started, but he does remember stopping crimes sometime at the age of 16. Stopping the crimes made him feel useful for once, like somebody needed him. So he just kept doing it since then.

WHAT THEY DO FOR THE CITY:
Vigilante, police and criminals both come after him.

Last edited:
Almost accepted. First, I need to know whether this depression of theirs is going to be accurate, or just a tool to make them 3edgy5me. Because I've seen too many cases where RPers shoe-horn in depression to make their characters dark. If you want a dark character, fine. But if you treat depression like a writing trope, and not a legitimate mental disease, that's not going to fly.

Sorry, that may have come off harsh. I just know that there's a fine line between a good, gritty story, and a try-hard, edgy one.

If you're good with that- accepted!

Fire Mana

Previously Top_Smug_
I actually have that problem too! As somebody who actually has sever clinical depression, it bothers me when people use it to make their character edgier or whatever. Especially when they overuse it, or over exaggerate it. Nobody parades around their depression, saying shit like "I'm depressed" isn't how it works.

Also, not gonna lie, I'm kind of tempted to write a story about this. I enjoy writing novels (that never get published- of course), and my try my hand at this story. I haven't written anything original in forever, because I write Batman: Eternal here.

Beginning the series on Wattpad. Just saying, the story in the Wattpad series will differ from the RP. The RP's storyline depends on what input you two provide, while the Wattpad story is all me. So don't expect the Wattpad series to give away key parts of the story. I want the RP to be fresh and exciting.

Also, if either of you know anyone else who would like to join, I'll take two more people. Five seems like a good number. If no one else joins, that's fine too. I'd be happy doing an RP with just the three of us.

Wow, that really was a neat intro. Kudos.

NAME: Dylan Sage
APPEARANCE: Standing at 6'1 and weighing in at 157 lbs, Dylan has dusty brown hair, a tan skin tone, a muscular build, and deep green eyes, speckled with spots of teal. His normal attire will consist of a solid colored tee paired with either khakis or black jeans depending on the color of the shirt, and his choice of footwear is usually a pair of dark grey sneakers. His "night-job" outfit is a hooded black tunic (inspired by Assassin's Creed), black trousers, and black boots. Dual swords sit in sheathes diagonally attached to the back of his tunic, and twin daggers sit in sheathes that hang from the sides of Dylan's trousers.
BACKSTORY: mY nAmE iS oLiVeR qUEeN. FoR FiVE YeARs oN a HeLLiSh iSLaND, i RetURnEd HoME wiTh oNLy oNE gOAL: tO SaVE mY CiTY. bUT MY OLD APPROACH WASN"T ENOU--
Alright, alright, we're done with that.
REAL BACKSTORY: After spending his childhood in Los Angeles, California, Dylan moved to Caldwell at the age of 17 due to his father accepting a high-salary job, where he became scarred by the amount of crime running rampant throughout the city. However, it was something he felt he couldn't do because he believed he wasn't strong enough to make a difference. When his parents were murdered by a group of thugs while Dylan was 19, he realized he didn't have much of a choice, and he began to take matters into his own hands as a vigilante.
WHAT THEY DO FOR THE CITY: Vigilante, despised by both cops and criminals

please let me know if there's anything I can change ^-^