• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Cody's Photography

Hey Guys. I like Photography. Descriptions above the photos.

Butterfly Macro
4729601798_864a999cf2.jpg

Black eyed Susans
4729600696_47e6e5720c.jpg

In a Disney Store :D

4729600110_bd48b296ea.jpg

Candid in DC
4728939039_02bd7dde91.jpg

More Candid DC stuff

4728939157_10f7bcd1d3.jpg

Tell me nice things. Or critiques. Those are even better.

Lovely work, Cody. The Park shots are, in my opinion, the best ones here. Care to tell us of your plans for future shoots? I'd love to hear what you've got cooking up for this thread ♥

If you're up to it, I have a challenge of sorts for you :3. You're already pretty good at perspective and such, and I think you can also improve your sense of lighting as well. I'd like to throw a little aperture exercise at you, and should you accept it, I look forward to the results ^^.

It's a pretty basic exercise really, but will require you to find a subject that you have access to or can see at all times of the day. When I did this exercise, I used a cup on a table as a subject, so ordinary, non-detailed objects work best. Once you have your subject, try photographing that subject at different times of the day. Like say, take a picture of it at 10 am, then take another picture at 12 noon, always at the same location and always at the same position, but at different times of the day. The challenge here is that you have to maintain the brightness and contrasts you have from the picture you took earlier that day. This will take some calculation and adjusting if your camera settings as the sun's position will affect your lighting, but try to aim for accurate results. Once that's all done, you can view your pics side by side and judge how well you were able to maintain your lighitng even at different times of the day.

Well I can't see any of your old photos anymore, but I'm pretty sure you've improved a whole lot.

I love the butterfly picture. How many tries did that one take? I feel like it'd be hard to get the butterfly to stay still :B
The picture of just the flowers is neat too. I love the focussss.

Disney stores picture makes me happy. I like how it's all colorful and inviting yet nobody is actually there. Iunno why it makes me happy, but it does.

Candid shots are always fun. I like the one with the girl on the bike.

Your pictures are really calming, Cody, I hope to see more.

Ummmm as far as critique goes I don't really know what to say. I guess you kinda resized them a little small. They fit nice in forums, but it'd be cool if they were a bit bigger :>

Post more!

Oooo I do spy improvement here Cody :D

I'm really liking the Disney store one, the little Nemos at the bottom are cool ^^

You aught to consider getting a deviantART account and upload your stuff there - there'd be a lot of people around there who can critique you if you'd want that. I don't think you have one already... right?

RX: I'll work on that challenge when the Summer ends. 'Cause really, right now, the lighting is pretty much the same, all day. As for future plans....can't say I've got any :D There will probably be a lot of macro shots -- I've discovered I love them :'D

Virgil: Thanks so much! The butterfly only took one shot :3 and every now and again I'll post a larger image size :)

LoN: Thanks to you, too! And I've considered deviantART, but for now, I'm going to stick with my flickr :)

Anyway, updates! (A large image this time. Beware!)

This is some graffiti in the city park near my house. I really, really like it.
4734789700_e2764cd869_b.jpg

I took this years ago. This is a pre-Nikon photo, but I still love it.
4734155037_ea1bff55c1.jpg

I like sunbeams
4734154875_8efc4e26a6.jpg

HOLY SH-

If only I had a percentage of your photography skills. Your new pics look awesome!

The sunbeams one is my favourite, but the plants rock too.

From the first post, the butterfly one is my favourite.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Cody! Amazing pics are amazing! They're all so pretty ;D As always the nature pictures are my favorites because you capture the environment I love so much so beautifully! *hugs*

While you say the lighting is the same all day because it's summer, the sun's possition is not. From 9am-10:30ish am the sun shines through my bedroom window putting a glare on my laptop and by 11a I have to turn on a lamp because I'm not getting enough light in my room. My point is, if you have a room that has a window facing east or west, you take a picture early in the morning, one in the afternoon when the sun is at it's highest, one in the later afternoon, another one at sunset, and a fifth picture after dark which would be 9p-9:30p this time of year. Summer is actually the best time to try RX's experiment because the days are longer giving you more sun angles. Just my thought anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I split this update in two. All these are large images. Beware!

Obligatory Flower Macro
4793494941_659f40c96d_b.jpg

I know it's wrong to sometimes choose a piece of art that you really like. But I really like this.
Make a Wish.
4794128472_0f7a9227f8_b.jpg

4794128300_93a51fee64_b.jpg

Wow Cody your pictures are fantastic, I really like these because with your artwork, there not just photographs, you can see the meaning and personalities of the pictures you take and it's almost breathtaking to look at because it's almost like your there.
One of my favourite pictures of yours is the fountain with the water flowing down it, it's such a fantastic piece because the water is flowing down in such a way, it looks like its been drawn and its very amazing, I think the zooming of the picture really fits with it, and the fountain also complements the water based backround,
Really good work, I can't wait to see more work from you
Keep it up (:

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Holy snap, Cody, you're some kind of amazing. And you're quite the photographer as well. :'D They're all so clean and crisp and the details are absolutely stunning. The colors are just so perfectly gorgeous. You just keep everything in focus and you pick some absolutely amazing pieces to photograph.

The butterfly picture is so amazing, if only because you captured something so easily scared away, and you caught it doing something so natural. It's just an amazing photo.

The sunbeams breaking through the clouds photo is just so insanely amazing. It looks like so professional and like it's something from a movie or something. :3 It's just so artsy and I love it beyond compare. I wanna hug it. >>

The flowing water one is probably my favorite out of all of yours thus far. It just seems so calming and serene, yet powerful. Which truly is how flowing water is. You captured the flow of the water so well that it just astounds me. The ripples in the water just look so beautiful. Everything about that picture is just beyond perfect in my eyes.

I can't wait to see what you photograph next, Cody. -^^-

Oh my, these are just stunning~ It's quite exquisite how you managed to get very sharp details from the duck's feathers and the dog's fur. I am also very impressed with the running water, simply lovely~

Thanks, everyone ^^
Reading the comments from you guys really does keep me going sometimes~

Red, thank you ^^ I'm quite proud of that butterfly photo. And, that sunbeam photo, as much as I love it, is usually under-appreciated. So thank you! :D

And you all seem to like that flowing water one....it's amazing what a slow shutter speed can do :'D

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Pretty photos are full of pretty~

Your photos never cease to amaze me. Your lighting and capture just seems so perfect. You also take interesting shots that capture movement or feeling which is super nice to see. Stuff like that is what separates a normal photo from a masterpiece. You're such a great photographer, and some of these newest shots of simply stunning. I love the Duck - you manages to capture all the fine details of its feathers and the water. On the subject of water, that moving water shot is so pretty. Wonderful in fact.

Cody takes the prettiest photos~

Psycho Monkey

You know what they say Cody: "A picture is worth a thousand words." Unfortunately, I don't have enough words in my vocabulary to do these wonderful photos justice. Can I even call them photos? What you have in this topic needs a stronger word because photos just feels too generic for the wondrous splendor you've granted us. Seriously, the zoom, the detail, the lighting, and whatever else your camera has is absolutely stunning.

Of your new set, I have to say that the water is my favorite. Since you told us to make a wish on that pic, my wish is that you, Cody, find the best photography job the world has to offer and that the company you work for publishes these magnificent works for the entire world to see and enjoy! ^-^

First of all, LoN, Magpie, and Tsutarja, you guys are awesome. PM, you're fantastic. Thanks so much for your wish! :D

IN OTHER NEWS. BIG ANNOUNCEMENT FOR THE WORLD OF CODY AND HIS PHOTOGRAPHY.

I'm starting a 365.

For those who don't know, a 365 is a project in which you take one photo, and publish it, each day, for a full year. I've seen some end well. and I've seen a few go uncompleted. Hopefully, mine will end well.

Some people do only self portraits. I won't be doing that. Some people try to have an underlying theme, and, well, mine might develop one, but for now, it has no theme. Except maybe "growth".

Which brings me to why I'm doing it, and I've got a number of reasons. For one, I think it'll help me improve as a photographer. And what better excuse to go take pictures each day? Another reason, well, I guess I kind of want to grow as a person and find myself. Photography is my art, it's how I say things I just can't say. Hopefully, as I explore each day for something to capture, I will explore myself as well. I'll probably also keep a journal as I go about it.

I won't be starting for another few weeks. I plan on starting on the first day of school for me (which will be August twenty-third, I think. I could be wrong....) Please, help hold me accountable as my friends and peers.

I won't be posting a photo each day on here, but probably at least one each week. Probably more. Daily updates will be on my flickr. If you really want to follow my project each day, let me know, and I'll gladly send you my flickr account.

It's my hope that as I do this, I'll discover myself, grow closer to my friends, God, and become more in-tune with everything around me.

Wish me luck!

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
This sounds like a terrific endeavor, Cody. I really can not wait to see what you choose as your subject to photograph, and I also can not wait to witness your growth and development throughout the process. As you yourself said, it's not just about growing as a photographer, but as a person.

I wish you the best of luck, Cody and I really can't wait to track your progress and travel down this road along side you. You are already a terrific photographer, that much is for certain, and I sincerely wish you the best of luck in this and all of your future photographic and life endeavors. -^^-

what cody ahahhhaknjkdzxllepdckzmx

I ENVY YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY SKILLS
No, seriously, your photos are amazing. ^^

My favourite is probably Obligatory Flower Macro, because it's just wonderfully detailed~ I'm quite into photography, but my camera is apparently nowhere near as good as yours. xD My focus and stuff is crappy, but yours is just eeeeeheee, they're all so loverly. c:

You manage to capture and position the subjects and camera extremely well, all of the angles really do compliment what the photo ... 'means' or 'says', if you like.

All that's left to say now is I wish you sooo much luck in your year-long photgraphic journey. :'D Let's hope you can succesfully do your business and get your message across with all of your photos. C:

Ilu and your photographyyy~

Good luck on the 365.

Your latest pics are excellent. Although the flower close up is brilliantly laid out and detailed, the crown has to go to the fountain picture. The shutter effect has created this awesome 'material' effect on the water.

Can't wait for the daily pics :D

ANOTHER UPDATE

The 365 will actually be starting on August first, because dangit, I'm just too excited for this. Also I want to capture the last few weeks of Summer.

Also here's some fire.
4839691222_00acbdcc49.jpg

*LE GASP* Fiiirrreee...it's so preeettyyyy~ *mesmerized*

*ahem* I love the particular frame you captured it in. Looks almost like a fireball is aboout to come out or something, and I swear I can see an eye...Actually I could stare at this for hours and imagine little tiny shapes the flames make, which is what makes this picture double awesome.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Sweet Peter Pan, Cody~! That is an amazing picture. The way you captured the movement of the fire, and so clearly... it's just incredible. The colors of the fire look gorgeous as well. What I also like is the shadows on the wood just outside of the fire and how you captured them and their extensive detail in the picture.

Like Chibi said, I could just stare at this for hours and see random things in the fire. I mean, it just seems to dance out of the picture. Just a terrific job, Cody. -^^-

Psycho Monkey

Cody, that photo is hot! (pun intended) I won't lie, I love me some fire and that is the most gorgeous fire I have ever seen that wasn't live right in front of me. I can clearly see every individual log at the bottom, the rocks you used to make your fire ring, and every movement of the flame itself. I can even pick out the contortions in the air made by the heat. If I wasn't in my room right now with the AC on, I'd think I was camping. Splendid Cody! Absolutely splendid!

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys rock. :) Well....here we go!

1/365: Anticipation

4851551406_940c3a4e48.jpg

It's not my most exciting image. But, I was so nervous, and so excited when it turned to midnight, I couldn't help myself. I'm excited, nervous, and scared at the sheer scope of this thing, but I'm ready to hit the ground running. Hopefully, this will be a year filled with myself growing as a photographer, becoming more aware of everything, and growing spiritually. Hold me accountable guys!

Here's to a great year!

2/365: Hello Hurricane
4855031946_c84d2da204.jpg

I've been watching the skies
They've been turning blood red
Not a doubt in my mind anymore
There's a storm up ahead

Switchfoot, Hello Hurricane

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Holy crap, Cody. Risking life and death, or your hair, for an awesome picture. That's dedicated. ^^

Brilliant capture of the turbulent skies, and the mixture of differing shades of the clouds looks amazing. It looks like you took this moments before everything started to go down. Amazing. Keep up the great work, Cody. -^^-

3/365: Jacks
4858270505_b6737afc58_b.jpg

Me and my Grandma used to play games like Checkers, and Jacks. I miss her sometimes.

((I'm rather proud of this photo. Thank you all, for the awesomesauce comments. You guys are pretty much the best.))

5/365: Two Hands

4864069062_4177005f36_z.jpg

"I use one hand to pull You closer,
the other to push You away....

If I had two hands, doin' the same thing
Lifted high, lifted high...."

Jars of Clay "Two Hands"

Oh Cody, this idea is amazing, but first off; Where did you find that quote? It's really nice, and it goes with the photo =D Also, I'm loving the other pictures, especially the 'Jacks' one. I love how it's all vibrant and sparkly ♥ So yeah, nice work, and keep on snappin' xD

Muh, I don't know why I haven't posted here yet. I'll be short and just post on this page's photos.

Those Jacks are pretty. I like the super zoomed look; I dunno, but I'm not far sighted, so seeing things that close up, like that makes it kind of fun in a perspective way.
Muur, your DS pic makes me miss my DS. I like the effect the Black and white has on the pic, and that the green power bar is still green. I had a year book pretty much like that.
The hands pic is really fun with all those angles. I'm wondering if you took them by yourself or not because the big one would be hard to take without hands...
The bottles of love... I don't know, but the labels look like a smiley face or something. Might be the curvy bottom row of letters...

Good stuff :D.