• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Calling all Charms Organized Play Members! (Re: Frequency of meetings)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I was originally going to do this as a poll, but considering that it really only affects Charms Organized Play members and you can't actually see the names of who's voted... this is safer XD

---------​

Since our next meeting will hit on January 2nd, I figure the new year is as good a time as any to make changes.

Charms Organized Play has been running for... about two months now, give or take. We've had some great turnouts for meets and not-so-great ones (the last few definitely being the worst), and I can't really be sure what the reason for either is. So, I'm going to ask this as a generalized question to all current members.

Question: Should we keep holding meetings each Saturday or change the frequency?

Choices:
- Keep it as once a week
- Change it to once every second weekend
- Make it once of month

What I'm trying to figure out is if people are finding the weekly commitment too much for whatever reason (may it be school, lack of spare time, lack of interest or the want to do something else, etc.). Only a few people have discussed it directly with me, so I'm not sure about the larger majority. All responses do matter, even if they're only a single sentence. Thanks in advance :)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'd keep it at once per week. Honestly, if there's too much of a gap between meetings people will begin to forget about them. Plus, it's not like having no-one turn up wastes time for anyone who does - even when it isn't that active, it still functions as a nice chat channel in its own right.

The main reason I've not shown up much lately is because of spending christmas with the family - I daresay that that's been affecting everyone else's attendance as well.

I think its definitely best to have them every weekend - it certainly makes it easier, at least from my point of view, because all I have to do is turn up at 6pm on Saturday if I'm free, and not come if I'm not free.

If it were less frequent I'd probably find times where I was free on a Saturday and it wasn't held, which wouldn't be so fantabulous now :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'd keep it at once per week. Honestly, if there's too much of a gap between meetings people will begin to forget about them.

Actually, I've thought about it that way and I think that view is a bit of an oversight.

Even if the meetings were once every two weeks, it'd still be at a regular frequency (example: the first and third weeks of each month). Once people got into the groove, remembering those dates would be no different than remembering to be present each weekend. Lots of clubs are held only once a month IRL and it works out just fine once they've established themselves.

To me, I don't think it's a matter of people remembering or forgetting to be present. Even the act of "forgetting" is a sign that there's a lack of interest or lack of spare time. But I digress.

Thanks for the reply, KoL. ^^ And aye, I'm sure most people haven't been showing up for the same reasons as you.

Edit: Thanks for yours too, LoN XD

I also think it should be kept the same. If it's every weekend, it gives members that show up regularly more time to play. As KoL as stated, if not a whole lot of people show up, it doesn't affect the ones that did too much. Recently I've been busy with the holidays too. That's probably why most people haven't showed in the last couple weeks.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Bleh, I really wanted to make the Boxing day one, but alas, relatives stayed longer than they planned XD

I think every weekend works fine. The reason the last couple haven't been busy I'm sure if purely down to the time of year. I know that I've certainly not had much spare time over the last two weeks.

I don't think once a month would work, simply because everyone would probably be wanting to battle at the same time. I know I get 'battled out' after a few battles or trips to the Frontier, and I just enjoy chatting after that. The four meets a month spreads the activity nicely, rather than narrowing the window to one event. I don't think the problem is remembering, rather it's the issue of maybe too much happening in too short a time. Missing the day would be a disappointment too, as I'd have to wait another month for the next...

Not sure if I got my point across clearly or not, but there's my thoughts. Twice a month would work ok if every weekend wasn't working. Though in my case I'm sure it'd fall on the two weekends I have to work till late XD

I will agree with everything thats been said. I think it should stay as every week, mainly cause its fun and there is no obligation really ie there is more commitment involved in every two weeks or once a month then every week. I think its nice to have a dedicated chat to the wifi aspects of pokemon rather then an random chat about everything, I have really enjoyed battling and talking to everyone and making new rivals and friends. In other words its a nice end to the week and also if you keep it to once a week you have something to work to every week be it making a new addition to your team or coming up with a new strat.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It seems everyone is sharing a similar view. I'm glad to hear that. It's really nice to see a majority view verses that of just a few people.

ie there is more commitment involved in every two weeks or once a month then every week.

Y'know, that is very true. If it were less frequent, people would REALLY feel obligated to be present. Plus, as Magpie put it, if you missed it once a month... you've missed it for an entire month. That's a long time @-@

Thanks for the replies Blisk, Magpie, and Bal. ^^

Edit: Katie beat me posting, but I'll submit this anyway XD (Yes, I am that slow at posting)

I like having it once a week too so I also agree with what everyone else has said. I always said that the days in which many people didn't show up was just a fluke due to the time of year. And like Magpie said, it would suck to miss the day if it was once a month. And for the people who are normally busy on the weekends: if they found themselves free one Saturday, they could also join. This would be a bit harder if it was just one Saturday a month.

Basically, this is one of my favorite things 'Charms has done thus far and I'd like to see it continue as is.

So, it seems a bit late, but I would like to go ahead and agree with everyone so far.

It's been a lot of fun knowing that there is something there. There have been a few weeks I've been unavailable, and I usually show up late, but that doesn't inhibit anyone else. I'd love to see it continue going weekly.