• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Blisk's Competitive Team Revised...again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went ahead and made all the changes necessary. Any other comments?

Gallade @ Choice Scarf
Adamant
Steadfast
EV Spread - Attack and Speed

- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Night Slash
- Leaf Blade

Swampert @ Rindo Berry
Adamant
Torrent
EV Spread - Attack and Sp. Defense

- Waterfall
- Stealth Rock
- Avalanche
- Earthquake

Scizor @ Muscle Band
Adamant
Technician
EV Spread - Attack and Defense

- X-Scissor
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Aerial Ace

Steelix @ Leftovers
Relaxed
Sturdy
EV Spread - HP and Defense, a couple in Attack

- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Explosion

Infernape @ Life Orb
Naive
Blaze

- Blaze Kick/Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch
- Grass Knot

Honchkrow @ Power Herb
Adamant
Insomnia

- Night Slash
- Sky Attack
- Superpower
- Steel Wing

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Infernape's Nature should be Hasty/Naive, not Adamant.

Also, Brick Break/SuperPower is preferable over Aerial Ace on Scizor or Steel-types will wall and crush it.

Other than that, far better sets overall.

Why did ya open a 2nd thread for that D:? The other one was fine!

Another thing to consider might be Brave Bird on the Honchkrow.Sky attack is strong and flinches and everything, but in the same time you could Brave Bird 2x , and its very Predictable.
If the knockback dmg is too much for you, you can go for Drill Peck too (which is stronger than Sky Attack if you use it 2x anyways)

Otherwise way better than before, those Pokemon are AAA too , so you just might need some experience with them, and maybe tweak them some more so that they fit your playstyle best!

Forgot to make the Infernape's nature to Naive on my post. and I chose Aerial Ace because a base power of 90 + not missing = an amazing attack. (combined with technician.)

Fumanshu, Sky Attack rocks with a Power Herb. For first use, no power up needed.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Just wanted to let you know, Aerial Ace only has 60 power. The other three are superior to Aerial Ace in power vastly which is very much so needed in competive battling.

Just wanted to let you know, Aerial Ace only has 60 power. The other three are superior to Aerial Ace in power vastly which is very much so needed in competive battling.
But......with Technician Aerial Ace's power is boosted to 90. So all of Scizor's moves are 80+ excluding Swords Dance because it isn't a damaging move.

KoL, I'm thinking of Aerial Ace to SuperPower. You're right. Aerial Ace would be a dumb move against a steel.

going with power herb cripples one of your moves after using it up, but its a choice that might work, especially on surprising people.

I wouldnt use it but it seems viable ;P

going with power herb cripples one of your moves after using it up, but its a choice that might work, especially on surprising people.

I wouldnt use it but it seems viable ;P

I only plan on using it when I have to. I have other Pokemon that can take out big threats that are weak to flying. Like Infernape for Bug and Grass. Gallade for Fighting.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Another thing to consider might be Brave Bird on the Honchkrow.Sky attack is strong and flinches and everything, but in the same time you could Brave Bird 2x , and its very Predictable.

Right now, I can think of one very good reason why you wouldn't use Brave Bird over Sky Attack on Honchkrow: Brave Bird is HG/SS only.

That said, Brave Bird would be the superior choice over Sky Attack regardless.

[quote author=Fumanshu link=topic=7071.msg126742#msg126742 date=1260818016]

Right now, I can think of one very good reason why you wouldn't use Brave Bird over Sky Attack on Honchkrow: Brave Bird is HG/SS only.

That said, Brave Bird would be the superior choice over Sky Attack regardless.
[/quote]
Was gonna use Brave Bird, but can't. Lulz

As individual sets these are all fine, but note that as a team I'm not so sure if they will function well. Note in particular that you have 6 physical attackers. This could be a huge problem should you run into any heavy duty physical walls such as Steelix and Cloyster with Infernape being your only thing close to a saving grace. Both Infernape and Swampert can easily switched to special sets to help remedy this without changing the members of your team.

Updated my team. I also am thinking of switching one for Breloom for its high attack. Which should I change to it. I was thinking Gallade. I posted what moves and whatnot I would have for it if I add it at the end of the post.

Weavile @ Choice Band
Pressure
Jolly
EV Spread - 255 Attack and 255 Speed

- Night Slash
- Ice Punch
- Brick Break
- X-Scissor

Gallade @ Leftovers
Adamant
Steadfast

- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Night Slash
- Leaf Blade

Porygon-Z @ Wise Glasses
Modest
Adaptability
EV Spread - 255 Sp. Atk and 255 Speed

- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Tri Attack
- Charge Beam (For the 70% of raising Sp. Atk and just to have an Electric move)

Scizor @ Muscle Band
Adamant
Technician
EV Spread - 255 Attack and 255 Defense

- X-Scissor
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- SuperPower

Marowak @ Thick Club
Adamant
Rock Head
EV Spread - 255 Attack and 255 Defense

- Bonemerang
- Double Edge
- Fire Punch
- Iron Head

Infernape @ Life Orb
Naive
Blaze

- Blaze Kick
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch
- Grass Knot

Weavile's my lead. I added Porygon-Z because I had all Attack before so a Physical wall would destroy me.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Adamant
Poison Heal
EV Spread - 250 Attack, 130 Defense, and 130 Speed

- Seed Bomb
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Leech Seed/Spore

Thunderbolt and Choice Scarf for Porygon-Z over Charge Beam and Wise Glasses. Life Orb that Scizor.

I can't help but wonder what the defense EV's are on Breloom for as he can't do much with them. I also wonder why that Marowak is EV'd to tank, but geared to sweep.

You still suffer from having little special attackers, with Porygon-Z been frail and easily taken out. You also don't have any walls and where as some people live by high-offense, it doesn't work so great in the current metagame.

A Venusaur could fit nicely in this team in place of Breloom to help bulk up a bit and add some special variety without switching up your typings too much.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
OK...

- Weavile doesn't get much use out of X-Scissor at all since Ice pounds Grass-types, Dark beats out Psychic and Brick Break beats Dark, so X-Scissor is redundant. Ice Shard or Pursuit is best for the last slot, although both require re-breeding if you've already bred and trained Weavile. If you don't want to re-breed, Aerial Ace will punish Fighting-types that try to go after you, especially Heracross.

- Gallade's good overall.

- Ice Beam + Electric attack is better than Psychic + Electric attack for coverage, so Ice Beam over Psychic first and foremost for Porygon-Z. Charge Beam would be good if Porygon-Z was as fast as Jolteon was (and Jolteon using Charge Beam for revenge-kills turns nasty in a hurry) but Base 90 Speed is a bit of a let-down for Porygon-Z. Either keep the Wise Glasses, or go for Choice Specs/Scarf as the hold item - note that running two Choice items can be a bit too risky if the opponent discovers who's Choiced and starts abusing it, although if you play smart you can hide it yourself.

- Scizor's best hold item for me is Occa Berry - Scizor's usually trained for bulk as well as offensive power since it doesn't need the Speed much, and Occa Berry protects it from the very thing that wounds its resilience most: Fire. Scizor should be able to survive stray Fire Blasts from Flygon, Salamence and the like and strike back with Bullet Punches to bring them down hopefully before they can do the same to you. Obviously STAB Fire attacks will still kill you most likely, but you can easily see them coming because, well...they're STAB'd - I don't have to explain this. Smogon prefers Life Orb, but since Item Clause is active here, I think Infernape would make better use of the Orb than Scizor would.

- Either ThunderPunch or Stone Edge should take Marowak's last slot so that Fliers get bumped off nice and easy, and because Iron Head on something as slow as Marowak is a waste of a moveslot. Full Attack/Defense is actually pretty standard for sweeper Marowak since its Speed at Base 45 is beyond help without someone like Jolteon or Ninjask to pass some Speed to you through Agility or Speed Boost respectively

- Infernape...could do with a few EVs in Sp.Attack to boost his power, as well as Fire Blast in place of Blaze Kick to make best use out of his mixed sweeping power.

Overall, GodlessM's right with his overall summary of your team - you've far too many physical attackers, only one special attacker and no defenders. Something like Rhyperior could sit in front of you all day and proceed to beat your team to a pulp with Base 140 Attack, whilst you're left facing off against its Base 115 HP and 130 Defense combined with Solid Rock ability with almost all physical sweepers - you'd be able to kill it, but it'd likely end up doing a lot of damage before then, which isn't good. More balance in your team is essential if you want to have any real success here.

How many EV's should go to Sp. Atk for Infernape for his Fire Blast?

Also, which Pokemon do you think I should change for another special attacker? Then I'll have three with special attacks. I was thinking of a Grass or Water type to take the place of one of the Physical attackers since I've decided I'm not going to change Gallade for Breloom.

Should I also bring back the Steelix? I have no clue what to change in my team to make it more balanced without unbalancing what's already balanced.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'd say anywhere between 52 and 100 would suffice for Sp.Attack. Take them from Attack instead of Speed, since Infernape's Speed is its best strength and should be kept intact.

I'm locking this considering I have the team I need. I made some changes that I'm not posting because I don't want anyone to take advantage to a surprise in my lineup change. I think my team is balanced now with the changes in lineup. Now, all I have to do is train the team. Won't be too hard with Pokerus and the Power items. (ie Power Bracer)

Status
Not open for further replies.