1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beyond The Paper

Discussion in 'Creative Archive' started by Rex, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Rex

Rex Resident Furry

So... Art topic. Right. I'd like comments and constructive criticism. No Requests.

[​IMG]
    Team shot of the Assassins, Protagonists of Fade To Black. First time drawing almost all of those Pokemon, the exception being the Buizel. From left to right, they are Jacob, Claire, Andre, Hades, Sven, and Seth. Wide image, so you might have to View it to see the entire thing. Drawn December 28, 2011.

[​IMG]
    Full body shot of Rex Thompson, the character who gave me my current screen name. Used Paintbrush tool, never plan to again. Drawn January 1, 2012.

[​IMG]
    Concept for Colton Hawthorne, a character of mine. Test at drawing animals. Another wide image that might require View. Drawn January 6, 2012.

[​IMG]
    This is the most recent thing I've drawn and completed. His name is Andrew, obviously he's a Shiny Mienfoo. He's a Test Tube Baby, and has inherited some traits from his genetic father, a Floatzel, notably a longer tail and broader muzzle. The other inherited traits, the whisker and eyebrow like marks, will fade when he begins shedding in preparation for his pelt to grow out into a Mienfoo's "robe". Drawn January 10, 2012.

2. My favorite of the lot are the drawings for Colton and Andrew. They're absolutely adorable~ Although Colton's hindquarters do look a little odd, like the ankles kind of don't exist. Still, it could just be the style; and really, other than that, they're really quite good.

3. Rex

Rex Resident Furry

I kind of had Colton's leg turned in such a way I had no idea what to do with the ankle. So I kind of left it out. =/

I have more art today. Which includes another animal which actually has ankles this time.

[​IMG]
    But first, hugs. It's a messy picture, so I might end up going in and lining it and recoloring it digitally ala Colton and Andrew in the first post. The Dewott is Dodger, and the Oshawott is Ryan, his son. Dodger is very odd looking for a Dewott, and his son's inherited some of said odd traits. Drawn January 11, 2012.

[​IMG]
    And here's the animal. A Black-footed ferret, also known as the American Polecat. Paws are hard. Faces are too. It's a bit off, but it isn't horrible. At least, not by my standards. Drawn January 12, 2012.

4. baratron

baratron Moderator of Elder Scrolls
    Staff Member Moderator

You have successfully achieved cute. Also - ooh, I notice your pencil-drawn polecat actually has shading. That's the point at which I lose ability to draw, so I'm very impressed.

Now, if you can figure out how to shade the pixel drawings, because *that*'s what stands out as the main thing to improve. But I haven't a clue how. Maybe one of the artists can recommend a good tutorial? The only one I ever saw was already beyond me, with its talk of light sources...

5. Rex

Rex Resident Furry

[​IMG]
    Only one image today. I've been fighting Artist's Block. This guy's a Possat, a creature that basically combines three other creatures into one. The original creator said they were free to use, so I made one. It's called Jason. I take no credit for the species as a whole.

6. Linkachu

Linkachu Hero of Pizza
    Staff Member Administrator

Hehe. I'm not sure which three creatures this guy has mixed into him, but he's quite cute! The green on the tip of its tail and claws is an interesting touch too. ^^

7. Rex

Rex Resident Furry

Sunday Upload #1
    So what this is, is on dA, I'm doing a drawing every day, and uploading it. However, doing so here would be akin to rapidfire spam, to me at least. So I've decided to consolidate each day into one post for the week. This will be the first of these weeks. I started midway through, and missed one day, so the art you see was uploaded from February 1 to February 3, and February 5.
    [​IMG]
    (Seth Thompson, from Beyond The Horizon)
    [​IMG]
    (Colton Hawthorne, part of the Agency canon)
    [​IMG]
    (Mikhail Ginoveaf, of Fade To Black's Prelude: Higher Powers)
    [​IMG]
    (Gift Art for Threehorn)
    I also have this:
    [​IMG]
    This is Lysander, from Beyond The Horizon. He WOULD have been the art for February 4, but as I was away from my scanner, I couldn't upload him.

8. Rex

Rex Resident Furry

[​IMG]
    I got drawing paper again. I probably should have left this one without color, or colored it digitally.

9. Rex

Rex Resident Furry

Sunday Upload #2
    Covers March 11, 13-15, and 18. Guess it's time I outed myself as a fan of TF, if you couldn't already tell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Rex

Rex Resident Furry

[​IMG]
    22nd September. 1997.

In the ongoing war between the new Russian Federation and North Korea over control of Sinnoh, NK forces have located the scientific facility underneath the Old Chateau. The facility is a former Soviet biological and chemical research lab, primarily concerned with the study of Transformation, turning people into Pokemon.

Before they can break into the base, several members of the staff, including Daniil Yakovlev, decide to release an experimental airborne variant of the serums. The group dons their gas masks, and release the chemical. It quickly dissipates, but not before infecting every unprotected person within a three mile radius of the lab.

Working the night shift normally, Arkady Dragic, a 21 year old native of Russia and one of the facility's guards, is awoken in the middle of the day by a burning sensation in his lungs. He leaps out of bed, running for a gas mask he'd left hanging on the wall. It is too late, however, and the nightwatchman is turned into something that better suits a nightly activity.

11. Shiny Lyni

Shiny Lyni 2016 Singles Football

I admit, some of the transformations kinda scare me/creep me out a little. ^^;

But the shiny Umbreon is so <33333
    I like the expression. :3

12. Rex

Rex Resident Furry

Quick sample of what I've been doing since March. This is a pretty cool way of seeing how much I've improved since then.
    April
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    April was a lot of Otters and Dewotts. I'll spare you most of that, though.
    [​IMG]
    I also designed my first Fakemon in April.
    May
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    May saw a lot of character artwork.
    [​IMG]
    And more TF Art.
    June
    [​IMG]
    I got my first Commission in June!
    [​IMG]
    I also updated Furon's proportions. This is it's shiny coloration.[​IMG]
    June also saw Fanart.
    July
    [​IMG]
    July is when Commissions really started to come in.
    [​IMG]
    I also updated one of my characters.
    [​IMG]
    And I marathoned the Type TF Meme, 17 pictures in 3 days. I then decided to do it again, one for each Generation.
    [​IMG]
    Late in July, I did a birthday present for a friend.
    [​IMG]
    Even more fanart was done.
    [​IMG]
    I also sat down and drew FTB!Seth for the first time in two years.
    August
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Lots of commissions have been worked on this month.
    [​IMG]
    I did too many too quickly and pretty much burned myself out.
    [​IMG]
    I created Nolan here for one of those Commissions, and he's remained a character for future ones.
    [​IMG]
    I also uploaded some rare Traditional Artwork.

13. Rex

Rex Resident Furry

[​IMG]
    Comparison of by Drawing Abilities from December 14, 2011 and September 6, 2012.
    [​IMG]
    Flynt! You guys might know him.
    [​IMG]
    Redid an old traditional picture of mine. Original is http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k61 ... Flynt1.png if you want to see it.
    [​IMG]
    And this is Lance. Sometimes he's a gargoyle.

14. Shiny Lyni

Shiny Lyni 2016 Singles Football

Okay, I feel so obliged to post now.

I know I've been saying this so many times to you, but~

You have improved a LOT. Your eye for anatomy has gotten better loads, as well as your shading, lines, and just adding more details in general, like wrinkles to clothes and fur tufts and whatnot. ^^

My favorite out of these is probably Flynt and the comparison one. I just like how you drew them for some reason~ ♥

15. Psycho Monkey

Psycho Monkey Member of the Literary Elite Four

Oh wow! These are amazing Rex! You're attention to detail has improved so much. I really like Lance the gargoyle. His design and everything about him is just awesome and the background is spectacular as well!

16. Essentially this ^

I am not really the greatest at the whole detail thing myself, so I really appreciate how much work goes into it. I like the pic of the then/now drawing, it really shows exactly what I'm trying to say as far as detail goes.

Out of the drawings presented, I have to say my favorite is Lance the Gargoyle; the design is well done and you put a lot of work into the detail as well, and the shading is done perfectly.

The anatomy of all of them is pretty spot on, though with the Flynt one, I've never really had an eye for anthros so I can't tell you in terms of that, but the anatomy in human terms is well done |D

All well done, Rex, keep it up.

17. Rex

Rex Resident Furry

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    So I streamed today. Made this. It's weird. I like it. Kthx.

[​IMG]
    This is also a thing, apparently.

18. Rex

Rex Resident Furry

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Another Stream result. Nolan takes over his first ever host. He's just as surprised as the host is. Art might not be as good, but eh.

19. Nifty! Oh so nifty! Your art is terribly nifty, Rex.

I absolutely love your dedication and I wish I had it, dear. I will admit it's nowhere as detailed as RX's or Belle's are, for example, but you are a persistent person, and I know you'll improve with time!

I actually found the Buizel Statue one to be pretty cool, as I wasn't expecting it. I like that you kept in mind he is becoming a stone and added small bits of detail to it.

Alright! So you listen to me good and keep working on it or I'll bother you about how you're not working on it!

Or not!

20. Rex

Rex Resident Furry

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I've been doing a lot of streaming lately.

Also...

[​IMG]
    Otters!
    [​IMG]
    Polecats!
    [​IMG]
    Nolan!

21. Rex

Rex Resident Furry

Shorter Post today.
    [​IMG]
    Colton.
    [​IMG]
    Rufus getting into the Halloween spirit mid-September...
    [​IMG]
    More Nolan.
    [​IMG]
    Whoops, that collar was cursed wasn't it?

22. Rex

Rex Resident Furry

Another update.

[​IMG]
    Dylan isn't taking the whole Halloween thing so well...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Rufus isn't as keen on this one as he was the Ariados.
    [​IMG]
    Forget Halloween, Seth's already getting ready for winter. And I thought I was going a bit too far with Halloween themed Deviations...
    [​IMG]
    Freeform wings are difficult to draw, guys.

23. Rex

Rex Resident Furry

[​IMG]
    Got points to draw someone's character getting taken over by Nolan for the first time.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Short, simple, and a little weird. I had fun with it.
    [​IMG]
    Been experimenting with Goo.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Which I actually got a commission for.

24. Rex

Rex Resident Furry

Big update.
    [​IMG]
    One of three prizes I did for a impromptu contest. The other two prizes are still being worked on.
    [​IMG]
    Something silly I did involving Virmir.
    [​IMG]
    Traditional Otter TF.
    [​IMG]
    Traditional WEASEL TF. Aren't I just the most original guy?
    [​IMG]
    Experimenting with non-Granite/Plush Inanimates. Official opinion on the result? Meh.
    [​IMG]
    This, on the other hand, was a lot of fun.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Trying to experiment with different methods of drawing various body parts. This is definitely in the running for weirdest sequence in my gallery.
    [​IMG]
    Miles! I am too lazy to go back through the thread and see if I ever showed you him.
    [​IMG]
    HEY GUYS.

CAN I BE IN THE VIDEO GAME?
    [​IMG]
    Making Nolan make stupid faces. It was accidental, but it's noticeable enough that if he was real he'd probably hunt me down for it.
    [​IMG]
    Traditional Stoaty Nolan.

EDIT: More Art, not enough time to justify a new post in my opinion.
    [​IMG]
    I don't know what I'm doing with these, really. I think I'm experimenting with a new style, but it sort of feels like I'm just being lazy.
    [​IMG]
    Have I ever put any of my gargoyles up here? Well, either way, this one's here now.
    [​IMG]
    I know a guy whose birthday is like two days before mine, so I drew this.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Working on drawing humans, then I looked away from the page for a second and all of a sudden this appeared! It's pretty dumb, but not damningly so. At least, not in my opinion...

EDIT #2
    [​IMG]
    Haven't drawn Seth in forever.
    [​IMG]
    Derek and Rufus, Mienfoo and Dewott.
    [​IMG]
    Dewott Aaron!

EDIT #3
    [​IMG]
    Tradiational Nolan.
    [​IMG]
    Ben's a bat!

25. Rex

Rex Resident Furry

I've decided that I'm going to start working on a schedule. To prepare myself for said schedule, I'm going to clear out the backlog of art I have right now.
    [​IMG]
    Done for a little thing a friend on dA was doing.
    [​IMG]
    In the two weeks I haven't posted, I've been experimenting with a new style and slowly integrating it into my old one. If you look through these pictures you can sort of see the integration process, which I think is kind of cool.
    [​IMG]
    Doodle for myself for my own birthday.
    [​IMG]
    I draw the same things way too much.
    [​IMG]
    This one's really stupid, but that's why I love it so much.
    [​IMG]
    I needed to step away from my Type TFs for a while and figure out what I was doing. I decided that the best course of action was to start over.
    [​IMG]
    In my opinion, Dylan is very adorable when he's a pissed off Mienfoo.
    [​IMG]
    Herp.
    [​IMG]
    Buizel!
    [​IMG]
    I have revived my Fakemon with another TF. How typical of me.
    [​IMG]
    Derp.
    [​IMG]
    Sableye!
    [​IMG]
    Only thing I don't like about this is how similar it is to Spider Bite.
    [​IMG]
    Yet more Nolan, taking over the Pokesona of the same dA friend who did the Floatzel thing.
    [​IMG]
    Today I borrowed some of my art teacher's drawing books, which she brought with her when she moved from the elementary school up to the high school.
    [​IMG]
    I decided to sketch some TFs from the animals inside. Experimenting with new species, and all.

26. Rex

Rex Resident Furry

[​IMG]
    I am on Tumblr! http://weazel75.tumblr.com/ and http://askweazel.tumblr.com/
    [​IMG]
    Practicing my humans.
    [​IMG]
    Lance doesn't NORMALLY wear this, but it shows off his tattoos and scars well, and I want ideas for new ones of both.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I draw Otters way too much. So here's something completely different!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I've also done one of my commissions.