• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Best Smash Bros. Game

What is the Best Smash Bros. Game?

• Original (N64)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Melee

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Brawl

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
I take vote on Brawl because there is far more stuff in there like playing classic games, rotation, Wi-Fi, Subspace Emissiary, Boss Battles, and the new characters. I also loved having Sonic and Snake in there. I wish they had Mewtwo back. Not that Lucario's a bad fighter (duh, he isn't), but it'd be nice to see him fight again, probably against Lucario, too.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I vote Melee. While Brawl may have had a lot more content than Melee, the extra content just seemed half-baked all around - Subspace was tedious and Wi-Fi was absolutely abysmal. The only good new (major) addition really was the extra characters. Brawl just seems to me like Nintendo spent way too much time cramming the game with loads of stuff and not enough time making sure the game felt as good as Melee, and Brawl's laggy and awkward controls, even on the GC Controller, ultimately cause it to pale in comparison to its predecessor.

Smash 64 was fun, but it seemed like it was a bit too much for the N64 console to handle at times. The 'Cube and the Wii could easily handle Smash's fast-paced gameplay, and ultimately for me the 'Cube wins with Melee for having the best controls, the fastest pace, and overall having no obvious flaws whatsoever.

I seriously don't know how to vote this one. You should have a "not sure" vote option.

I own all the versions of Super Smash Bros. There are aspects of each that I appreciate. But when it comes down to it.. they don't seem to differ that much to me.

I think I preferred the stages in melee best. Brawl has a lot of interactive stages, and when it comes down to it I like to play for the mechanics of battle and skill vs the opponent. Brawl came out with some seriously annoying items (like the distracting ones that force the screen to zoom somewhere you aren't. But again, I prefer playing without the interruptions of items and using skill (not saying there is no skill in maneuvering and using items!)

The original just has.. a special place in my heart. People will always say you can better an original.. but it was the FIRST! The rest are just skins of the original.

I really wish Brawl had the side game "break the targets". Favourite mini-game.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I really wish Brawl had the side game "break the targets". Favourite mini-game.

But it does have it XD You just must not be looking in the proper place ;)

I guess I must not be as hardcore with the SSB series as some, even if I own and have clocked countless hours on all three. I trust the judgments of my friends who say Brawl's controls and mechanics are much worse than Melee's, but I personally didn't notice the difference myself. Much like Dragodden, I feel all three games are fairly similar - just with extra features for each release.

I loved SSE to pieces and have played it multiple times through alone and with friends. Being able to explore the world and utilize all of the various characters in such a way was a refreshing addition to the SSB series, and it's probably the thing that keeps me coming back to Brawl most. Everything else feels like its been done before.

Sure, the new Events are interesting, and battling through certain modes co-op is really fun... the WiFi and stage building were nice ideas, too, though could've been executed a bit better... But I don't have the urge to collect all of the trophies this time 'round like with Melee. Even though some of them are really nifty, the determination to collect them all isn't there anymore. I collected all of my characters, stages, and beat all of the events... but more or less put the game down after that. I feel bad for it, tho, and will probably go back to the game at some point to complete it a bit better.

In the end, I did vote Brawl - simply because I don't see myself going back to Melee anytime soon, but I will play Brawl again. I do admit to missing a few stages from Melee, but that happens with every new SSB release. Some of the new stages make up for the missing ones, too, so eh.

Hmm... Now I feel like playing more Brawl, lol...

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Black Hole Glitch is obvious? Because people position Fox and Falco in such a way to reflect Super Scope blasts in an infinite loop and then have Peach throw a shit-ton of turnips in the middle of it in the middle of the match by accident on a frequent basis? Black Hole Glitch may be a small flaw in the programming, but it certainly is not obvious without prior knowlegde and it certainly doesn't detract from the overall enjoyment of the game, unlike tripping and buffering in Brawl (which were both put in deliberately.)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
This topic was dead for almost 2 months prior to your post FeraligatrXIII - note that posting in extremely old topics that haven't received posts in around 3-4 months+ is against the rules here.

No warning, but make sure you do check dates if you haven't done so already.