• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Because you thought it was cool...

As I've gotten older I've realized the value of being able to laugh at yourself. Have you ever done anything because you thought it was cool only to look back and discover how corny or hilarious it was? I've done more things than I can count for the sake of either trying to fit in or stand out.

When I was younger I used to pretend to like the Spice Girls and Power Rangers. I wasn't too fond of either but because everyone else did it I just HAD to do it too. BTW: My trying to fit in only extended to fads or other rather harmless stuff so if everyone was doing something illegal/unhealthy I didn't do that to fit in.

To stand out in middle school I would wear some questionable stuff that were hits and misses. Sometimes I would look cool but then sometimes I just looked odd. Like a peasant top, jeans, and black boots...I'm not sure how that looked then but I cringe now.

No doubt I will come up with more stuff...

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
So, in 4th grade, everyone just loved the monkey bars. Being the scaredy cat I was, I never tried it, until one day, my friends pestered me to go on. So I did, and I fell down and "twisted" my wrist, as I said that time. Well, I wore a sling for the rest of the week, not because my wrist hurt, but because I wanted, well, attention. Ah, silly me. I got the bad type of attention. "Gosh, stop pretending!" "You only fell! You couldn't have twisted your wirst because of that!" Yeah, the good days...

And then there was the time when everyone thought that having an imaginary friend was cool (also in 4th grade). So then I had this little IF that could change between a tiger, a dolphin, and a hawk (hawk part added later), for land, water, and air, respectively. I named him Tiphin (pronounced TIE-fin), and he was a naughty little tiger (his main form). My friend had a purple blob that could transform into anything that was about its size and wasn't live (like playdough or something) named something like Blob or something... And then my other friend had a stretchy Koala named, um, Koalie. I laugh when I look back at those days... fun, yet extremely stupid.

THEN there was this time when most asian kids at my middle school started to go out and/or have crushes. So, I joined them. I didn't go as far as to go out with anyone (my parents would've killed me, and besides, no boy liked me at the time), but I did kinda "spread the rumor" that I had a crush on someone. Then that someone hated me from when he found out about the rumor to now, and he probably will hate me for many more years. Gosh, that was the stupidest time ever...

And then there was the time when everyone thought that having an imaginary friend was cool (also in 4th grade). So then I had this little IF that could change between a tiger, a dolphin, and a hawk (hawk part added later), for land, water, and air, respectively. I named him Tiphin (pronounced TIE-fin), and he was a naughty little tiger (his main form). My friend had a purple blob that could transform into anything that was about its size and wasn't live (like playdough or something) named something like Blob or something... And then my other friend had a stretchy Koala named, um, Koalie. I laugh when I look back at those days... fun, yet extremely stupid.

How trippy is that? I had something similar happen only I was in fifth grade. I had an imaginary friend when I was little but I had long since outgrown it by the time I was ten. But some people thought having an imaginary friend was cool so I jumped on the bandwagon. I don't remember the details of the one I made up but I remember I did it...and it was stupid.

I remember the classics. Backstreet boys, Eminem, even Pokemon for awhile. Of course, I never outgrew pokemon but I outgrew the others. In middle school, cursing made a comeback, resulting in every person in school cursing out the teachers. Our fads were much more dangerous it seems.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
In middle school, cursing made a comeback, resulting in every person in school cursing out the teachers. Our fads were much more dangerous it seems.

How true... almost everyone's cursing at school nowadays. GAH.

Even I'm falling for it... occasionally. *coughsIRCpeopleswouldknowcough*

Ha ha, actually when I was in the third grade, it was uncool to like pink and cool to like blue. I loved pink (now I hate it X_X I don't mind it with black or if it's presented well, but that's not the point). However, I declared to my mom and sister one day that I would like blue the best XD (Funny thing is, it's my favorite color even today - more specific Cerulean ^^ ). I just find it funny that your favorite color would affect your popularity, and why should kids that young care about popularity? Society is sad >.>

I remeber back when I was in 7th grade, everyone like Hot Cheetos. They were the most popular chips in all of Arizona. I still like, 'em, but their not my fave anymore. Then there were those rubber wristbands and Spongebob...wow....

Oh dear sweet jebuz...

I have waaay to many to count, and some are far too painfull to go back to. -shudders- the horror...

Ok, you know how the Fresh Prince of Bell Air was one of the funniest shows of its time?

Well, when I was a little kid, i would always try to act and say stuff Will smith would say in that show.

Problem; I was, like, the whitest looking kid at school. ._.

You dont need to be a genious to know what happends next.

lmao! little miss sunshine i also used to LOVE fresh prince of belair, and i still try to find time to watch it now a days.

anyways, this may be a little embarassing, but when I was in elementary school, grade 7 through 8 to be exact, many of the kids in my school were emo. My best freinds and I wanted to be "cool" and over time we were emo. We had all the myspace and stuff, and the funny thing is people actually looked up to us LOL!

im finally glad im past that stage, and now im more preppy (abercrombie & fitch, facebook, etc)

and im popular at highschool :D
if i was still emo, i would be a loser, LOL!! :p

My little sister is in middle school, and they STILL think emo's are the hottes shiznit out there. ._.

And now theyre saying 'Its not a fad, its a lifestyle' like if people say that they hate emo's theyre being rascist or something. Like cutting yourself and hating the world is a real healthy thing to do in the firstplace.

Im pretty sure half those kids are only doing it because everone else is, and they have no real reason to be emo. -_-'

That reminds me of the Straight-Edgers in Santa Cruz. For those of you who don't know, Straight-Edge is like the whole "Sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll" thing, but without the sex and and drugs. And the rock 'n' roll was probably metal or something. I'm not sure. All I remember was that they were a pretty hard-core anti-drug-and-alcohol crowd, at least until the oldest Straight-Edger turned 21...

To be honest, I've no really bad things like this, just minor things... joking!

Just yesterday when Brawl came out, my mom went to go buy it with money from their cuss can (yes, we have one. And they put enough in for Brawl!) But my dad wanted us to rent it, because we didn't deserve it. Really we didn't but whatever. So I argued with him for a while, saying that most people at school would have it, including my friend/enemy.

I do not believe that is all, just all I can remember.

AL has Spoken
*POOF!*

I jumped off a two-story balcony, because I thought it was cool...and almost landed on a wood board with several nails sticking out of it. I was lucky :)

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I used to pretend I was a Raptor during school games of 'tag'. Biting the people I caught apparently wasn't acceptable, but I thought it was cool :p One boy still fears me to this day, heh heh

I remember in middle school, the new fad was PINK. For guys and girls no matter how uncool you were, if you wore PINK then were in instant popularity...for about a month in a half...Wow, I am soooo glad that I didn't follow THAT fad. ^_^

Ooh...The whole reason my brother and I got into Pokemon was 'cuz everybody had cards at school. When we finally got our mitts on them the principal banned them.
In third grade we had a field of grass and my friends and I ate grass seeds 'cuz we thought it was like real wheat. >.>;
And then in fourth grade my friends and I made up a game called Video Game Land, the cross-overiest cross over that could never be made into a real game! It was pretty fun, I was a Blaziken in a Power Suit (I called it a Samus suit >.>, never played Metroid before). Then it got pretty messed up when there was like twenty kids trying to play and our group just wanted it to be us. Actually, that's still a cool idea...​

I think I repressed my memories of those moments. And school. I believe because i hated everyone so much. I don't even know if I even tried any of those fads other than pokemon. I used to sing spice girls songs because they catchy like that....Ah, the 90's. OH WAIT. I remember now, FURBYS. When everyone wanted one, I wanted one to. They freak me out now.

This happened when i was aabout four years old. My family and I had just moved to a new house and there was this huge rock in the front yard. I thought it woul be cool if I could climb this one really steep part. Then when I did try my stupidity brought my downfall literally. I fell over and scraped up my knee really bad. Just my luck.

When I was younger, I was afraid to draw a boy because then people would think I liked the boy I drew. When everyone else my age thought boys were gross, I thought they were cute, but I was too afraid to admit it so I pretended I thought they were gross, too. :/ I'm still afraid to let guys know that I like them for fear of them picking on me. I don't pretend boys are gross anymore, though. I didn't even start being friends with boys until 7th grade. lol I also pretended to be into Pokemon cards, but then once everyone in my 4th grade class stopped playing with them, I began to like Pokemon. Then in 5th grade I stopped watching Pokemon, but I started liking it again in 6th grade when I first played my cousin's Gold version. I still like Pokemon. It's just interesting.

In the sixth grade we played a game called 'zap'. (girls only) Basically, you write the name of a random guy in the class on the palm of someone's hand, and a time on the top. If they look at the name before the time they had to ask the guy out...I really hated that game XD it got banned anyway..

Funny, apparently I played that game only last year (and I'm a guy). It resulted in my first proper date (without kiddy stuff). We then got more interested in wrestling and volleyball tourneys

I remember that seven years ago, I had this major thing for baseball because everyone sucked at catching and I kept getting homeruns. If I played now, then I'd just get outs all the way. Those were also the days that everyone kept wanting my pikachus since I was the only one in the school with yellow version (none of them realized where to get them on red and blue).

When i was in sixth grade the only way people talked to you was if you played an insturment mostly guitar and at that time all the cool kids played guitar...so i took up the drums and got ignored that hole year then by next year i tried the guitar and got better then most of those that have been playing for a while but i still got ignored...and then eigth grade nobody really cared about music (except me i practiced all the time) and then i got an award for being abale to play the most instument out the hole eight grade... ;D

i am pretending not to like a guy because none of my friends think he is cool
i dress nice even though i hate it and want to dress like a guy
i cant have friends over cuz they think im like a guy and have a messy room
i hate all my girls that are my friends cuz they are mean to me but i cant hang out with my guy friends cuz then every1 thinks i like them
so my friends are changing me but i do it cuz its cool or so i think but i know it isnt

thank you and i know what a recorder is i also pretended to like it in the 4th grade so i could pass music
im going to knotts scary with a friend and i already agreed but i dont like any1 else who is coming but im still going
i once pretended to like someone cause everyone else did