• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Battle Subway (Singles) Sandstorm team

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I need BP in a major way, so I'd like to build a solid team for the Battle Subway superlines. Currently I have a fully trained Tyranitar just itching to be used, so I'd like to try my hand at a simple Sand Storm team. Feel free to suggest anything here, even different Pokemon entirely outside of Tyranitar. All help refining this team is definitely appreciated.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant
Sand Stream
EVs are split between HP, Defense, and Attack

Ice Punch
Crunch
Stone Edge
Earthquake

This is my Gen 4 Tyranitar, fully EV trained. I’d like to try using him without rebreeding, so eggmoves aren’t an option. Ice Punch was tutored onto him for anti-dragon measures, but I’m not sure if it’s the best option. The other moves are basically for STAB + Earthquake, because I like Earthquake a bit too much. Any alternative moveset ideas are appreciated, as are held item suggestions. I don’t technically have a Choice Band yet, but I’m considering it.

Excadrill @ Expert Belt
Jolly/Adamant
Sand Rush
Full Attack/Speed + 4 HP EVs

Swords Dance
Earthquake
Rock Slide
X-Scissor

Pretty straight forward. EQ’s awesome STABed, Rock Slide for potential flinch hax, and Swords Dance for more power. X-Scissor is filler, but seems to come in handy for picking off random Psychic/Dark/Grass-types.

Reuniclus @ Lum Berry/Wise Glasses Life Orb
Modest
Over Coat Magic Guard
Full Sp. Attack and HP EVs

Psychic
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball/Grass Knot
Calm Mind/Safe Guard

This guy balances the other two, but I'm not completely sure what to do with it. I’ve been ruined during very high streaks through the Battle Tower by random status changing attacks, hence the Lum Berry held item or Safe Guard as a potential attack. Psychic and either Energy Ball or Grass knot cover two of my teams very obvious weaknesses, while Shadow Ball is simply for coverage and Calm Mind is for boost power. Ideas here are appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Tyranitar and Excadrill are good as they are, Reuniclus however could do with an overhaul. Magic Guard is crucial for this guy and by extension, so is Life Orb, since Reuniclus is immune to the recoil with Magic Guard while still getting the 30% power boost to its moves. I'd also check his Hidden Power type to see if you have anything favourable (Fire is the best one.)

P.S. Jolly for Excadrill.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
King of Lucario said:
Tyranitar and Excadrill are good as they are, Reuniclus however could do with an overhaul. Magic Guard is crucial for this guy and by extension, so is Life Orb, since Reuniclus is immune to the recoil with Magic Guard while still getting the 30% power boost to its moves. I'd also check his Hidden Power type to see if you have anything favourable (Fire is the best one.)

P.S. Jolly for Excadrill.

O-O

I originally suggested Overcoat for protection against Sandstorm, but I had no idea that Reuniclus was immune to recoil damage! That changes things in a big way. Thanks for the info, KoL!

Which move would you drop on Reuniclus for the Hidden Power, if I could get a useful one?

P.S. - Thanks for the Excadrill nature suggestion. Duely noted. :)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Magic Guard also protects you from sandstorm damage. Overcoat on Reuniclus is completely redundant thanks to Magic Guard.

I'd lean more towards dropping Energy Ball for Hidden Power, but the choice is yours.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
King of Lucario said:
Magic Guard also protects you from sandstorm damage. Overcoat on Reuniclus is completely redundant thanks to Magic Guard.

That's just... sad. And pointless. Magic Guard all the way. I'm deifnitely psyched to retrain Excadrill and Rueniclus now. :)

Last edited by a moderator: