1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battle Subway (Singles) Sandstorm team

Discussion in 'The Doctor's Clinic' started by Linkachu, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Linkachu

Linkachu Hero of Pizza
    Staff Member Administrator

Friend Code:
    4167-4498-1464
    I need BP in a major way, so I'd like to build a solid team for the Battle Subway superlines. Currently I have a fully trained Tyranitar just itching to be used, so I'd like to try my hand at a simple Sand Storm team. Feel free to suggest anything here, even different Pokemon entirely outside of Tyranitar. All help refining this team is definitely appreciated.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
    Adamant
    Sand Stream
    EVs are split between HP, Defense, and Attack

Ice Punch
    Crunch
    Stone Edge
    Earthquake

This is my Gen 4 Tyranitar, fully EV trained. I’d like to try using him without rebreeding, so eggmoves aren’t an option. Ice Punch was tutored onto him for anti-dragon measures, but I’m not sure if it’s the best option. The other moves are basically for STAB + Earthquake, because I like Earthquake a bit too much. Any alternative moveset ideas are appreciated, as are held item suggestions. I don’t technically have a Choice Band yet, but I’m considering it.

Excadrill @ Expert Belt
    Jolly/Adamant
    Sand Rush
    Full Attack/Speed + 4 HP EVs

Swords Dance
    Earthquake
    Rock Slide
    X-Scissor

Pretty straight forward. EQ’s awesome STABed, Rock Slide for potential flinch hax, and Swords Dance for more power. X-Scissor is filler, but seems to come in handy for picking off random Psychic/Dark/Grass-types.

Reuniclus @ Lum Berry/Wise Glasses Life Orb
    Modest
    Over Coat Magic Guard
    Full Sp. Attack and HP EVs

Psychic
    Shadow Ball
    Energy Ball/Grass Knot
    Calm Mind/Safe Guard

This guy balances the other two, but I'm not completely sure what to do with it. I’ve been ruined during very high streaks through the Battle Tower by random status changing attacks, hence the Lum Berry held item or Safe Guard as a potential attack. Psychic and either Energy Ball or Grass knot cover two of my teams very obvious weaknesses, while Shadow Ball is simply for coverage and Calm Mind is for boost power. Ideas here are appreciated.

#1 Linkachu, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013
  2. KoL

KoL FPS Guy
    Staff Member Moderator

Tyranitar and Excadrill are good as they are, Reuniclus however could do with an overhaul. Magic Guard is crucial for this guy and by extension, so is Life Orb, since Reuniclus is immune to the recoil with Magic Guard while still getting the 30% power boost to its moves. I'd also check his Hidden Power type to see if you have anything favourable (Fire is the best one.)

P.S. Jolly for Excadrill.

3. Linkachu

Linkachu Hero of Pizza

Friend Code:
    4167-4498-1464
    O-O

I originally suggested Overcoat for protection against Sandstorm, but I had no idea that Reuniclus was immune to recoil damage! That changes things in a big way. Thanks for the info, KoL!

Which move would you drop on Reuniclus for the Hidden Power, if I could get a useful one?

P.S. - Thanks for the Excadrill nature suggestion. Duely noted. :)

4. KoL

KoL FPS Guy
    Staff Member Moderator

Magic Guard also protects you from sandstorm damage. Overcoat on Reuniclus is completely redundant thanks to Magic Guard.

I'd lean more towards dropping Energy Ball for Hidden Power, but the choice is yours.

5. Linkachu

Linkachu Hero of Pizza

Friend Code:
    4167-4498-1464
    That's just... sad. And pointless. Magic Guard all the way. I'm deifnitely psyched to retrain Excadrill and Rueniclus now. :)

#5 Linkachu, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013