• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Are You a Competitive Battler?

Are you a competitive Pokemon battler?

• Yes, fully in every aspect

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Yes, but only with players from select locations (ie. Charms)

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Yes, but only with friends

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Only if you count in-game uses (ie. Battle Frontier, PBR)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Not at all

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
This isn't a strictly WiFi related topic. I'm looking at everything from country-wide Pokemon tournaments, more local Pokemon-related clubs, WiFi, and direct link-up with friends/family around home. In any sense of the word, do you participate in competitive battling? If so, what forms of it?

The voting breaks down like this:
Option 1 is basically that you're completely into competitive battling and will battle anyone, anywhere. There's really no restrictions aside from your own living situation.

Option 2 is if you only battle with members from certain locations (maybe real life clubs, or specific website communities). You love competitive battling, but you still like it personalized.

Option 3 is straight forward. You really only raise Pokemon to battle friends.

Option 4 is iffy since some people might not even consider it "competitive", but it still goes beyond simply playing through the games. It's for people who don't participate in battles against other human players (maybe because they can't), yet raise teams specifically for things like Battle Revolution, Battle Frontier, etc.

And option 5 is simply no. You play through the games, collect Pokemon, etc. but do nothing else. You don't really care about battling others or Battle Tower, you just like enjoying the gaming experience.

Anyways, at the moment I'd probably be option 3 - I really only battle with friends. I've been raising Pokemon specifically for in-game challenges for years, but since getting WiFi I've been able to take on some choice people, too. It's fun actually being able to test your team against human players, and friends can be trusted not to have idiotic teams filled with legendaries XP. Going beyond that, tho, doesn't really interest me.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I voted for option 2, although I was tempted to select option 3. I would say that at the moment, I only battle against friends, but I have battled in the past and I intend to battle here in the near future, so option 3 wouldn't entirely be accurate.

The main reason I don't battle here yet is for two reasons. The first is that I'm still training up my competitive team, and the second is simply that my internet connection has been a bit iffy for a while now - it tends to cut off randomly at least once every half hour. The last thing I want is for it to cut out in a battle, it's not fair to the other person who may have been winning and it's not fun for me either. It has been better recently though - I've actually been able to log into and stay in the 'Charms chat twice now, so maybe soon I'll be able to battle more people here ^^

Once I do now that my connection is good enough, I'll really enjoy battling the members of 'Charms. I wouldn't however ever consider entering an official country-wide tournament, I'd like to at least know the people I'm battling a little. Nor would I randomly go to another website and ask people for battles there. I feel that battling should be something done between friends, or similar minded people, who are in the battle for fun and to test their skills, rather than just to battle as many people as possible with a team of ubers for an ego boost.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
For me, it's Option 1 without a doubt - the only thing that has restricted me from battling whoever I want is (currently) lack of Wi-Fi, although hopefully that'll change tomorrow. I've always been the "take on all challengers" type and Pokemon is no exception, hence why I use a mostly OU team. Most of the people I've battled don't bother using ubers anyway, so I don't really have problems with people attacking me with swarms of legendaries.

I went with option two, though I was tempted to go with number three, because I've only ever battled people on 'Charms, but even then it's only with certain people. We'll just say I've seen some n00by teams before, so I like to avoid those.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Technically, I'm option 2... since I've never actually battled anywhere outside of Pokecharms XD
I've entered myself in a tournament on another website, but it's my first battle aside from Pokecharms and a couple of friends of mine. I'll battle almost anyone who challenges me, but I haven't actually gone looking for them that often.

Take a look at my early clinic posts, and you'll see that I've had little experience before here, I learned everything I've got by helping people XP

If I eventually get around to training my team up, I will pretty much only play with people here. So I guess it is a split between option two and option three. Went with option three as I don't see myself ever really battling with everyone from here.

Cross between 3+4.

I am raising Pokemon to battle on Wi-Fi. But due to my sheer laziness and procrastination, I never have battled on Wi-Fi. I do want to but, I'm too worried about getting a Special Wall for Wi-Fi.

Anywho, I'm not the type to goes and openly challenges people. That's something I wouldn't do. Most of my friends don't play Pokemon, so it has to be done at 'Charms.

Ehh... curtain number five for me. I just like raising me Pokes and the rest of in-game stuff. Battle Frontier makes me a very sad panda, I've only gotten three silver marks on Emerald ;_;. Although it was really fun to beat my brother (Pokemon and GH are the two games I can beat him), he stopped playing so no more fun like that for me.​

P

Pokepok

The option for me is '4'. I just don't have the Wi-fi or wireless connection on my computer. Plus, I just like to stick to the in-game battle frontier battles because I find them much more challenging than the normal pokemon battles.

(I accidentally voted for option '1' :-\)
EDIT: Changed it! Now, I too fall under option '4'.)

Option 3/4 for me. In a way I like to battle, but I'm not competitive at it for the most part. I like to win, but I dont battle often with other people, just the people in the game. Besides the only person I know that plays Pokemon is my ex, but I havent seen him in forever and his DS broke :/. My boyfriend has only played the first generation games and never followed through with the rest. So I can only battle with people on 'Charms anyways.

I voted for option 3.

I've never really battled anyone else but my friends, because, most of my friends are pretty weak and I know I can beat them. ;D The other reason is I can only get Wi-Fi at my library. I go there all of the time. Not to check-out books, though. To get on Wi-Fi. XD