• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Arceus HG/SS Event

So I obtained a fateful encounter Arceus and did the event on my SS game recently, and I was really surprised by the cutscene involved. (Go to about 5 minutes in to see just the cutscene.) It was actually really bizarre and a little bit freaky. I can't decide whether the cascade of images was freaky and arthouse movie-ish (like the Qatsi documentaries) or just random and weird (I laughed at the commenter who said "ARCEUS used GOOGLE IMAGES").

Have you seen it? What were your thoughts on the event?

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
It was an incredibly odd event, that much is for sure. The plethora of real world images didn't really seem to fit at all to me and really just succeeded in freaking me out mildly, and I had to watch it multiple times because I kept resetting to get a good nature for my Giratina. >>

It did seem weird, but cool. But it also had me thinking: Why did they show the real world? Maybe it was showing that the Pokemon world is in the future. Or they were just trying to freak us out. I'll go with the latter.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
That pretty much IS Arceus using Google Image Search. xD

Maybe it was an FMA thing and it was tapping into the energy of another dimension/space/time/whatever-you-have-it to create the new egg. Maybe they just thought it's an appropriate creation trope - showing 'flashes' of a universe, past and present, going by.

Or better yet - maybe it's images of origin - and therefore, every creature would have seen different images depending on their world of origin. And while the trainer and PokeMon would have seen images of -their- world, you, the player, see images of yours? (and who knows, maybe the human trainer would get some vague images of Earth too, due to the terrestrial origin of the species?)

Or maybe it's just the programmers being too god damn lazy to animate their own images and figured this would be the best way to do an OH MY GOD I CAN SEE FOREVER~. Quite possibly.

I just watched it on Youtube, and all I can really say is... wow. The Google copy-and-pastes seemed definately out of place in a Pokemon game, and I'm not going to lie, it was kinda creepy. The pictures have to mean something, but they looked to me like they are just the pictures on Bing's homepage. It was still very cool, and I hope Black And White utilize the kind of cutscene that was used here.

I heard that they were doing another Arceus event for the Azure Flute. You can get another one, and I wonder if the cutscene will be the same, or different. Also, while all those images are flashing behind Arceus, he's just standing there, doing nothing. And it was creepy. The past, present, and future... COMBINED! freaky, right?