• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles Another team

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Mundo (Breloom) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Focus Punch
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Protect

Shelby (Smeargle) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Parting Shot
- Spore
- King's Shield
- Mirror Coat

Sasume (Greninja) (F) @ Eject Button
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Acrobatics
- Scald

Bonk (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Big Root
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Bulk Up

Lycoris (Florges) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Protect

Toaster (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute

===================================

This team's strategy is sort of a fusion of toxic stall and bulky offense. Typically I will lead with Greninja and lay down at least a layer of toxic spikes, and then will either lay down a second or lay down some ordinary spikes to change my typing if it seems wiser. Greninja is almost never KO'd in a single hit so the eject button allows it to fly out and return later either for more spikes or just as a finisher for something that's been weakened.

Conkledurr and Florges make up the primary defenders of the team, Conkledurr surprising many opponents with its defensive bulk, especially when they try hitting it with Psyshock. Florges exists more to force out special attackers than to deal damage, and moonblast helps it do that all the more.

Heatran holds a more offense than anything else on the team and almost always gets a free sub out of the switches it forces while resisting all of the commonly used sound based attacks.

Smeargle runs the set above with amazing results, coming in on something slower to either spore it or the switch and then parting shot away for a cripple and save smeargle for another day. Mirror Coat with a sash destroys anything special attacking and King's Shield heavily cripples physical threats.
As an added bonus, Parting shot, if reflected by an espeon, lowers Smeargle's attack and forces Espeon to switch out and ending a baton pass chain... It's also a sound based attack, so hits through a substitute that may have been put up to block a spore.

Breloom is a combination of the subpunch strategy and subseed strategy, both of which strengthened exponentially by Toxic Heal and Focus Punch backed by STAB and 130 base attack.
Breloom can also PP stall several threatening moves [such as Fire Blast] thanks to the combined PP of Substitute and Leech Seed being 32.

Last edited:
As a fellow Smeargle player, I really like your build. Never really tried to use parting shot on anything so it would be interesting to see the results of your build in testing. I love the idea. Nice to see a proper lead Greninja as well. Eject button is a great idea for that.

Team looks pretty solid to me, only two things I can figure is that your team has a bit of a weakness to fighting, thankfully Florges is around to help. Second would be the lack of a reseter (rapidspin/defog or hazing) which could cause issues depending on the opponents.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I do think the lack of spinner/Defogger could be a bit of a pain for Smeargle since he'd lose his Sash and by extension a lot of Mirror Coat's effectiveness. I can't see Fighting being too troublesome here due to Greninja's type-swapping to Poison and Flying and Smeargle's ability to cripple physical attackers with Parting Shot and King's Shield.

Honestly, I think the one thing this team is really missing is a powerful setup sweeper to do clean-up duty at the end of a match. With Smeargle there to sleep one opponent with Spore and then completely ruin the offense of an attacker with King's Shield and Parting Shot, it seems like the perfect combination to send in a quick sweeper safely to setup and clean up the match there and then. I'm not sure who you'd drop for such a 'Mon, but it's worth considering I'd say.