• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Alternate Battling Rules Template

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Sick of facing the same old Scizor, Tyranitar and Salamence over and over again? Fed up of Earthquaking hordes of Heatran to death in every single battle you take part in on Wi-Fi? Well, this is the topic for you.

Basically, this is a standard restriction list template that you can elect to use in your battles against opponents. It isn't mandatory by any means, nor does it take any sort of precedence over the Competitive Battling Rules in the following thread:

http://www.pokecharms.com/forums/index.php?topic=6953.0

What it does do is give an alternative ruleset for people who don't want to have to face OU's baddest bad-guys over and over again ad infinitum, and instead wants to battle teams that use something a little different. Also, remember that this is a template - if you feel a certain Pokemon should be restricted/banned, or that a Pokemon should not be restricted/banned, you can agree to make these changes with your opponent. I won't add these changes to this list posted here, since this is a "default" list so to speak - instead, you can discuss with your opponent what specific rulings you desire.

So, without further ado, here it is:

BANNED - You cannot have any of the following Pokemon on your team.

- Mewtwo
- Mew
- Wobbuffet
- Lugia
- Ho-Oh
- Celebi
- Wynaut
- Latias
- Latios
- Kyogre
- Groudon
- Rayquaza
- Jirachi
- Deoxys
- Garchomp
- Dialga
- Palkia
- Giratina
- Manaphy
- Darkrai
- Arceus

RESTRICTED - You can only have 1 Pokemon out of this list on your team.

- Gyarados
- Snorlax
- Dragonite
- Articuno
- Zapdos
- Moltres
- Kingdra
- Scizor
- Blissey
- Tyranitar
- Entei
- Raikou
- Suicune
- Salamence
- Metagross
- Regirock
- Regice
- Registeel
- Lucario
- Togekiss
- Mesprit
- Azelf
- Uxie
- Heatran
- Cresselia
- Shaymin

SEMI-RESTRICTED - You can only have 2 Pokemon out of this list on your team.

- Venusaur
- Charizard
- Blastoise
- Vaporeon
- Jolteon
- Flareon
- Meganium
- Typhlosion
- Feraligatr
- Espeon
- Umbreon
- Sceptile
- Blaziken
- Swampert
- Torterra
- Infernape
- Empoleon
- Leafeon
- Glaceon

No Identical Items - This prohibits the same item from being held by more than one pokemon per team. Different items with identical effects are allowed. [Razor Claw and Scope lens both raise the critical hit ratio, for instance]

No Identical Pokemon - This prohibits the use of identical pokemon, but does not prohibit the use of two different pokemon along the same evolution line [Poliwrath and Politoed are okay on the same team]

No Evasion Boosting - The use of moves that increase evasion [Acupressure, Double Team and Minimize] is prohibited. Using moves that lower accuracy does not violate this clause.

No OHKO Attacks - The use of attacks that deal a OHKO [Horn Drill, Sheer Cold, Fissure, Guillotine] is prohibited. Perish Song is excluded from this clause due to the way it works.

Sleep Clause - You may not put more than one pokemon to sleep on your opponent's side of the field at a time. A pokemon put to sleep by the move Rest or the ability Effect spore do not count.
Additionally, all pokemon with the ability Natural Cure must be identified as having this ability as soon as they are put to sleep.

Fair Game Clause - If a player is on their last pokemon and it uses Selfdestruct, Explosion, Destiny Bond, or Perish Song, that player loses the match even if the move fails to work properly.
Recoil attacks, Life Orb and other such methods that can impose a tie are not in violation of this clause.

Feel free to discuss these rulings here - if many people feel a certain Pokemon should or should not be restricted/banned, then post your views here. If a majority decision does arise, this list will be changed accordingly. Besides that, this is a default template for rulings, so if you want to edit it slightly for your own personal use, feel free to do so. Of course, you are also allowed to use it in its current, unaltered form, should you choose to do so as well.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Works nicely for me. This will be the rule set I'll be using by default for anyone who cares XD

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'll be using whichever ruleset suits my opponent best - if you wish to face me using these rules, I'll edit my team accordingly for you.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Whups, I think Garchomp was left initially undecided for whatever reason. He's in the banned list now.

Heh, yea these are the rules I tend to use when battling, but I do use my darkrai on occasion (If the opponent uses a banned pokemon as well).

If I might suggest, I would change it from "banned" to "you can only use a pokemon from this list if your opponent has a pokemon from this list too."

QUite a mouthfull, but I find it more fun. XD

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Also, remember that this is a template - if you feel a certain Pokemon should be restricted/banned, or that a Pokemon should not be restricted, you can agree to make these changes with your opponent. I won't add these changes to this list posted here, since this is a "default" list so to speak - instead, you can discuss with your opponent what specific rulings you desire.

Next time, try reading the whole post instead of just the list - you may catch little tidbits like this.

If you want to edit it slightly for your own personal use, feel free to do so.

...never mind that I actually repeated myself just to make sure people would get the point.

Oh, from the way you worded it I assumed you were refferring to individuals transcending specific categories as opposed to my view of striking the balance by each sporting a member of the category, so that is where I made my mistake.

Naturally you can do anything you want if your opponent gives their consent, I was simply suggesting a different wording for the template you propose here, if that makes sense.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
If you can't get the point from the two quotes I've posted, then the only thing I can recommend is re-taking primary school English. I've made it more than abundantly clear that the list can be re-arranged by users for their own personal use - twice.