• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Advice for Swampert

I planned out a Swampert for my team, but I think it needs improvement. Any suggestions?

Swampert (Hold Item: Lum Berry)
Nature: Sassy (+Sp.Defense -Speed)
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP; 128 Defense; 128 Sp.Defense

- Surf
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Ice Beam

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like you're opting for a defensively-built Swampert, based on your EVs. I actually know a set that works quite well:

Swampert@Leftovers
Relaxed
Torrent
248 HP, 212 Def, 48 SpD
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Ice Beam
-Roar/Surf/Protect

This Swampert is generally seen setting up Stealth Rock and then proceeding to annoy you whilst whittling down your entire team by using Roar to shuffle them around. Leftovers restores HP as you Roar out, with Earthquake and Ice Beam to potentially take something down if they have the nerve to set-up on you or Taunt you. You can use Surf for extra coverage, or Protect to scout.

However, if you're wanting physical, as based by your moves, then there's a lot of different options. Curse sets are pretty nice, and a Choice Band set could certainly dish out a surprise KO or two. But I'm not quite sure on the EVs for either of those, so I'll leave that to someone else.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'd like to point out that the above set is indeed awesome and well worth using. I used Roar in the last slot along with a Wish-passer to keep Swampert healthy, and it was able to spread pretty good damage across my opponent's team after it had set up Stealth Rock.

One thing I would add is that Rest/Sleep Talk is quite potent on Swampert due to its bulk and power - Earthquake and Ice Beam are probably the best attack moves to have on board for something like that. You sacrifice Stealth Rock for this however, so if you don't already have a good Stealth Rock user then Sandile's set will serve you better.

Thanks for the advice, Sandile. To be honest, this set would probably work well, since I use Tyranitar with my team. I will definately take this set into consideration.

I'm going to keep this post open for a little longer, just in case.